Pandamonium's 12g Long - "Pride Rock" *UPDATE*
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-20-2012, 08:05 AM   #1
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Default Pandamonium's 12g Long - "Pride Rock" *UPDATE*

Updates: 4/4/13 - Rescaped a little and added a feeding tray (Post 26)

Updates: 2/25/13 - More Berried Shrimps and first Shrimplets! (Post 20)

Updates: 1/9/13 - Berried Tiger Shrimp! (Post 18)

Updates: 1/9/13 - Are these new shrimp blonde OEBT? (Post 17)

Updates: 1/5/13 - Nitrates have dropped (Post 16)

Updates: 1/1/13 - Happy New Year! More shrimp photos and INSANE nitrate spike? (Post 15)

Updates: 12/26/12 - Shrimps are in! (Post 11)

Updates: 12/21/12 - Scape, Plants, and Fish Addition (Post 10)

Updates: 12/20/12 - DIY Heater Build with Pictures: Part 1. (Post 9)

Parameters:

KH: 1
GH: 5
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 10 ppm
pH: 6.8

Hey everyone,

So I decided to jump aboard the shrimp train after realizing that a month was too short to learn and make a pico-reef tank. That's gonna be another project, maybe this summer. But in the meantime, this shrimp tank can definitely happen haha

I'll try to keep this first post as recent as possible or at least add links to where each step of my build is.

Specs:

Size: 12 gallon long
Filter: 2 Small Sponge Filters, Eheim ECCO Pro 2232
Lighting: 3 x 13W 6500K CFL bulbs in a DIY Hood Housing
Substrate: Fluval Shrimp Stratum (Donated by Betta Maniac. Thanks so much for your generosity!)
Heater: Ebo Jager 75W with DIY Inline modification
Hardscape: Red Lava Rock, Manzanita
Stand: DIY Steel Stand

Just the tank

Custom Mesh Cover

The stand

Tank with lighting over it

Last edited by pandamonium; 04-05-2013 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: update
pandamonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

reserved for more pictures
Old 12-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)

gonna be epic!!!
Jonnywhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (426/100%)

Sounds like this is going to be a nice build.

What are you going to do in order to support the corners of the tank?
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
bigd603
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

What is the purpose of the mesh?
bigd603 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnywhoop View Post
gonna be epic!!!
Thanks! I hope it will be It's gonna be a quick build but I have an idea in my head that can hopefully translate onto this tank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Sounds like this is going to be a nice build.

What are you going to do in order to support the corners of the tank?
The pad that the tank sits on juts out just beyond the tank itself, maybe like 37'' long pad for a 35.4'' long tank. The photo I couldn't get to show that, but the entirety of the tank is sitting on the stand. Is that what you are talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd603 View Post
What is the purpose of the mesh?
I figured I need a cover just in case any fish/shrimp decide to get jumping, and it came with the tank. I made a few modifications to it so it would sit better It also doubles as a way to keep my CFL hood suspended over the tank since the hood is just smaller than the inner length of the tank.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #7
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Yes - appears that the tank is merely seated on a piece of plywood with no supports beneath the plywood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
The pad that the tank sits on juts out just beyond the tank itself, maybe like 37'' long pad for a 35.4'' long tank. The photo I couldn't get to show that, but the entirety of the tank is sitting on the stand. Is that what you are talking about?
Old 12-21-2012, 02:41 AM   #8
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

Default Next update: DIY heater building

So I bought the parts to build the DIY heater.

I used a rubber band, a smooth reducer (1.5 to 0.5 inches), and the 75W heater.

Next I put the rubber band underneath the lip of the temperature dial prior to siliconing.

Silicone was placed on the bottom of the heater, right at or above the water fill line.

I pushed the heater into the reducer and the rubber band gives a little space between the silicone and the temperature dial so that I can still turn it. I am gonna leave it overnight to dry and then I'll nick off the rubber band. This was exactly how the last build went but I tried to show this in more detail.

Right now the silicone is curing. Once it's all done, I will put the housing together
Old 12-22-2012, 06:31 AM   #9
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

So today I went on a crazy trip all over the Bay Area to pick up a filter, fish, and plants.

Got home and started scaping my tank like crazy. I had previously bought a sponge filter and have been using it in my old tank so I seeded it pretty good, which should help the transition of this new tank That as well as my old canister filter.

First I used my mom's expensive silicone spatula to lay down the Fluval Shrimp Stratum. Looks dark which I had not expected but I do like it. Next I cleaned the rock. I grabbed some lava rock for a hardscape. Figure that it was porous so it would help with biological filtration as well as allow me to place moss there in the future. In total, all the lava rock cost me a whopping....$1.54. Score.

Next was planting the plants. I used Eleocharis flavescens as well as what I think is chain sword, or something similar. From Speedie so thank you Speedie!

The whole idea of the scape was to have a Lion King almost feel with Pride Rock on the right and Scar's land on the left. So Pride Rock side is majestic and heavily planted while Scar's side is meager and very sparse. I tried to capture this using 2 different plants. The middle is barren, almost like a divide between the two. Not sure what to do there yet but any ideas would be awesome

Pride Rock

The Scar Lands

Finally was the fish addition I used in this Vietnamese White Clouds, an homage to my culture but I figured I should have "clouds" in the sky above my scape.

The FTS is hard to get cuz I am behind my Christmas tree at the moment but afterwards it should be good
Old 12-21-2012, 02:36 AM   #10
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

That is right. The supports extend out pretty far, within an inch of both sides but not all the way. The previous owner didn't experience problems with this setup but just to be safe, I am going to grab some more plywood or a metal sheet to reinforce the tank. I can't modify the stand since it is welded in unfortunately. Good call though, I will get to doing that before I fill the tank up
Old 12-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #11
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

I don't see anywhere that your tank cycled. That's a process that takes quite a while, even with a previously used filter.

It's not just for processing ammonia but for developing a nice environment for shrimp.

Are you monitoring parameters?
Old 12-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #12
jarvitron
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

"Anyone know why it has orange eyes but isn't blue"

Good luck with your tank.

"Orange eye blue tiger" shrimp are just like Rili shrimp, a selectively intensified coloration that exists in wild populations. Orange eyes, black eyes, blue bodies, clear bodies, blue stripes, black stripes, brown stripes, red stripes, all exist (to greater or lesser intensity) in wild populations. When somebody is selling "OEBT" they're selling a line that (hopefully) has been selectively bred to create _mostly_ Orange Eye blue body tiger shrimp, but even the best lines will throw some wilder variance.

As far as everything else goes, I have the same concerns as above - There's no dates on the pictures but you seem to have thrown the tank together from parts in under a week, I hope you have put thought into the parameters of your water and the maturity of the tank, because in that small of a tank, and with shrimp, it all counts.
jarvitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #13
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
I don't see anywhere that your tank cycled. That's a process that takes quite a while, even with a previously used filter.

It's not just for processing ammonia but for developing a nice environment for shrimp.

Are you monitoring parameters?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarvitron View Post
"Anyone know why it has orange eyes but isn't blue"

Good luck with your tank.

"Orange eye blue tiger" shrimp are just like Rili shrimp, a selectively intensified coloration that exists in wild populations. Orange eyes, black eyes, blue bodies, clear bodies, blue stripes, black stripes, brown stripes, red stripes, all exist (to greater or lesser intensity) in wild populations. When somebody is selling "OEBT" they're selling a line that (hopefully) has been selectively bred to create _mostly_ Orange Eye blue body tiger shrimp, but even the best lines will throw some wilder variance.

As far as everything else goes, I have the same concerns as above - There's no dates on the pictures but you seem to have thrown the tank together from parts in under a week, I hope you have put thought into the parameters of your water and the maturity of the tank, because in that small of a tank, and with shrimp, it all counts.
Yeah I have been monitoring parameters every day since I put it together. I had a bad case of new tank syndrome when I started a tank many years ago before I understood everything going on. Since then I have been very cautious about it. I haven't updated the parameters I list but as of today, they are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and nitrates on the rise. I used half of my canister filter media from my year and a half old 40 gallon tank and the Tetra Safe Start starter cultures to seed/develop the beneficial bacteria. I also have been doing water changes like crazy. Funny story here is that I tested the tap and it had 0.25 ppm ammonia after I used Prime so I thought I was putting ammonia straight into the tank and thus continued to do many water changes in a row. But it turns out the test cannot distinguish ammonia sequestered by Prime and free harmful ammonia (what I learned from another forum).

Either way it goes I have been treading carefully as I have read that shrimp do not do well (die) in ammonia or nitrite waters so I made sure that the environment was suitable before introducing them. The white clouds I introduced first as a test and so far (knock on wood) none of them have died or shown signs of stress. They are eating well and swimming about very vigorously. It could be because it's in their nature as well I guess, but the shrimps are doing well also. Eating and nibbling here and there. I took a sponge filter I had in another tank which was pretty much covered in biofilm and put it in this one for filtration and food too.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:33 AM   #14
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

So finally switched filters on my tanks. Threw my Eheim ECCO pro 2232 on the 12 gallon long with a spraybar I salvaged from the SunSun 304B that I tacked onto my 40 gallon Amazon tank. Both tanks are doing well and I did a water change after filter transfer on both tanks.

Filled the Amazon tank filter with lava rock since it has a good surface area and for 4 dollars, I got maybe 10-15 pounds at HD. There may be other more porous options like pot scrubbers but I don't know where to find them for cheap haha Lava rock will definitely be fine.

I did water tests on my shrimp tank today and my nitrates apparently are between 80 and 160 ppm. I will be doing a water change very soon (aka when I finish my dinner). Ammonia and nitrite are solidly at 0 ppm. Any thoughts to why nitrate is so high? It's strange. I don't think there is that much decomposition. I dumped out the dirty water from the canister when I transferred it but did not wash the biological media so that I wouldn't kill any bacteria.

Photos!

Last edited by pandamonium; 01-05-2013 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: add
Old 01-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #15
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

The nitrates dropped off after a few days of putting pennywort, frogbit and water lettuce into the tank. Those things suck it up fast. It's still at around 20 but compared to 160 I think it's acceptable for now.

Otherwise, added some more shrimps, CRS ( I think they are S grade? Any help would be great). I do fully understand that they can interbreed with the tigers but if I do want to sell any offspring, I will make that very clear to the buyer. But my plan is that these shrimp are for my viewing pleasure and the orange neos can breed as much as they want

Shrimps

This guy looks funny. Not sure if he looks S grade like his other friends.

others with a tiger eating

hanging out under a tree