|12-17-2012, 05:21 AM||#1|
Emersed Aroid and Stem Plant Collection
Philip's Emersed Aroid and Stem Plant Collection
It's finally time to present the project that has been consuming most of my time and money lately. I've really become fascinated with Bucephalandras (and other Aroid friends!) over the past few months. I think what i like most about them is the many different colors, shapes, sizes, and textures that they come in. I never thought i would stop collecting just stem plants, but some of the features that these plants have can not be found in any Ludwigia, Rotala, Ammannia, etc. Without further ado, i present to you my newest addiction:
- Two standard 20 gallon long glass aquariums
- 4x24 watt 24" HTG Supply T5-HO fixtures over each tank (3000k x2, 6400k x2); on for about 12 hours per day
- Standard house fan blowing across surface to keep tanks cool
- MistKing misting system w/ 2 nozzles in each tank; 30 second spray 8 times per day w/ re-mineralized RODI water
- Ultrasonic fogger in each tank to keep humidity high
- Glass tops with sealed sides to retain humidity
- Powerhead in each tank to circulate water
- 2" terra cotta pots from Michael's w/ ADA Amazonia + gravel at bottom for drainage (for smaller Aroids)
- 4" black plastic pots in back for stem plants and larger Aroids
Here's a complete list of my Aroid collection. Please keep in mind that not all types are available at this time.
Top tank (14 types; updated 4/22/2013):
- Alternanthera reineckii var. 'mini'
- Aridarum 'batang lemanak'
- Aridarum brutii
- Aridarum caulescens 'angustifolium'
- Bucephalandra 'Balai Karangan' (red stem)
- Bucephalandra gigantea 'West Kalimantan'
- Bucephalandra 'Sekadau' goliath
- Furtadoa 'Padang'
- Homalomena 'Sekadau'
- Microsorum pteropus 'red'
- Schismatoglottis 'Balai Karangan'
- Schismatoglottis 'long huriel'
- Schismatoglottis petradoxa 'Betong'
- Schismatoglottis roseospatha
Middle tank Aroids (37 types, updated 4/22/2013):
- Anubias 'stardust'
- Bucephalandra 'Biblis' green
- Bucephalandra 'Brownie ghost'
- Bucephalandra 'Brownie helena'
- Bucephalandra 'Bukit Biru' blue
- Bucephalandra 'Bukit Biru' green
- Bucephalandra catherineae purple (Kayu Lapis)
- Bucephalandra catherineae green (Kayu Lapis)
- Bucephalandra 'Fake Catherinae'
- Bucephalandra 'Hulu Kapuas' blue
- Bucephalandra 'Hulu Kapuas' green
- Bucephalandra 'Hulu Kapuas' purple
- Bucephalandra 'Hulu Kapuas' red
- Bucephalandra 'Jangkang'
- Bucephalandra 'Kayu Lapis 2' green
- Bucephalandra 'Kualakuayan 1'
- Bucephalandra 'Mini Catherinae'
- Bucephalandra 'Lamandau' green
- Bucephalandra 'Lamandau' mini green
- Bucephalandra 'Lamandau' purple
- Bucephalandra 'Lamandau' mini purple
- Bucephalandra 'Melawi' blue
- Bucephalandra 'Melawi' narrow blue
- Bucephalandra motleyana (giant leaves)
- Bucephalandra motleyana (brown leaves)
- Bucephalandra motleyana (deep purple leaves)
- Bucephalandra 'Nanga Pinoh' green
- Bucephalandra 'Nanga Pinoh' blue
- Bucephalandra 'Nekan'
- Bucephalandra 'North Sanggau'
- Bucephalandra 'Sabal'
- Bucephalandra 'Sekadau' blue
- Bucephalandra 'Sekadau' mini blue
- Bucephalandra 'Sekadau' green round leaf
- Bucephalandra 'Sekadau' mini green
- Bucephalandra 'Semuntai'
- Bucephalandra 'Velvet leaf 3'
Bottom tank Aroids (41 types, updated 4/22/2013):
- Bucephalandra 'Balai Karangan'
- Bucephalandra 'Batang Kawa'
- Bucephalandra 'Belindae'
- Bucephalandra 'Blue/green'
- Bucephalandra 'Brownie jade'
- Bucephalandra 'Copi susu'
- Bucephalandra 'Copper'
- Bucephalandra 'Dark Grey'
- Bucephalandra 'Kanowit'
- Bucephalandra 'Kayu Lapis 1'
- Bucephalandra 'Kayu Lapis 2' brown
- Bucephalandra 'Kayu Lapis 3'
- Bucephalandra 'Kedagang'
- Bucephalandra 'Kembayan'
- Bucephalandra 'Kota Baru'
- Bucephalandra 'Kualakuayan 2'
- Bucephalandra 'Kudangan'
- Bucephalandra 'Melawi' round leaves
- Bucephalandra 'Melawi' brown
- Bucephalandra 'Melawi' green
- Bucephalandra 'Melawi' wavy
- Bucephalandra 'Mentarang Kal-Timur'
- Bucephalandra 'Metallic wave'
- Bucephalandra 'Midnight blue 2'
- Bucephalandra motleyana 'Tebedu'
- Bucephalandra 'Nanga Mahap'
- Bucephalandra 'Nanga Taman'
- Bucephalandra 'Noyan'
- Bucephalandra 'Pawan'
- Bucephalandra 'Pearl Grey'
- Bucephalandra 'Red gaia'
- Bucephalandra 'Semadang'
- Bucephalandra 'Shine blue'
- Bucephalandra 'Shine green'
- Bucephalandra 'Silky blue 1'
- Bucephalandra 'Sintang'
- Bucephalandra 'Solid blue'
- Bucephalandra 'South Sekadau 2'
- Bucephalandra 'Theia 3'
- Bucephalandra 'Theia 6'
- Bucephalandra 'Titan II'
Bucephalandra 'Noyan' (bottom tank). Grows very tall and wide. Nice lime-green coloration.
Bucephalandra 'Kudangan' (bottom tank). This is by far the slowest growing Bucephalandra that i have come across yet. I have had it for about half a year now and it has shot out one leaf. It has only slightly grown in overall size. Quite a nice plant though!
Bucephalandra 'Belindae' (bottom tank), another one of my favorites. It has beautiful leaves and is quite different from any of the other Buces that i have.
Bucephalandra 'Batang Kawa' (bottom tank). Stays small and the new leaves are red. Relatively slow-growing. This picture really doesn't do it justice...
Schismatoglottis roseospatha. Can't seem to get a good pic of this one for some reason. EXTREMELY slow-growing... took a while to convert from submerged form to emersed form. Hasn't grown much lately. Trimming the rhizome seems to encourage new growth, like most other plants.
Schismatoglottis 'long huriel' (right) and Schismatoglottis 'Balai Karangan' (left), with Homalomena 'Sekadau' and Bucephalandra 'Pearl Grey' in front (bottom tank). Both Schismatoglottis species are fully-aquatic. Not sure about the Homalomena, as there is not too much documentation that i have been able to find regarding whether or not any species at all from the genus can be grown under water. If anyone knows, i'd love to find out!
No pictures of the top tank yet since it is a total mess and needs some major cleaning/organizing. I plan to get that done within the next couple of days.
More pictures and updates to come!
Last edited by Centromochlus; 04-23-2013 at 03:30 AM.. Reason: Update.
|12-17-2012, 05:28 AM||#3|
So, I literally just drooled. Amazing collection, Philip! The set up looks great!
How many more species do you plan on getting?
|12-17-2012, 05:38 AM||#4|
Very nice collection. I'm really liking the Schismatoglottis 'long huriel'. Looks very similar to Anubias coffeefolia.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experimenting itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
ua hua's 90 gal.
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
|12-17-2012, 06:06 AM||#9|
I'm hoping to get as many more as i can fit in the top tank. The bottom tank is pretty much full at this point. I can probably fit another 20-25 up there. I'd really like to get my hands on some of the B. brownie variants, among many others. Just need to recoup some funds.
|12-17-2012, 06:39 AM||#10|
Planted Tank Guru
dude i'm from indonesia and i don't have this kind of collection
must have cost you a lot
with that high level of water, do you have algae or fungus problem?
|12-17-2012, 06:48 AM||#11|
The water level is typically not as high as shown in the photos. Since the water added by the misting is more than the amount of water that evaporates on a daily basis, i usually remove ~30-40% of the water weekly, but i've just been lazy. I have noticed that in one of the pots, there is quite a bit of cyano bacteria/blue-green algae accumulating on top of the soil. I really should keep the water lower. I might try cutting down the misting schedule to 5 times per day (30 seconds each) instead of 8. Or maybe just cut the misting time down to 15 seconds. That might help.
|12-17-2012, 09:55 AM||#12|
|01-05-2013, 02:59 AM||#14|
Bucephalandra 'North Sanggau'
Cryptocoryne bullosa 'Maradong'
Cryptocoryne 'Kota Tinggi'
Cryptocoryne yujii 'Durin'
Cryptocoryne longicauda 'Sri Aman'
Cryptocoryne auriculata 'Maradong'
Schismatoglottis petradoxa 'Betong'
I'm quickly running out of real estate in my tank for more plants. The bottom tank is full, and the top tank has room for 13 small plants and 2 small plants. I'm thinking about setting up another 20L on the top of the rack, but i haven't decided yet.
|01-05-2013, 04:07 AM||#15|
Planted Tank Obsessed
Wow amazing collection.
do they grow at any reasonable growth rate that they can be split into new plantlets?
ive always wondered if the majority of the buces in the US were tank grown or found in the wild
wabi kusa, 60P, emersed tub journal