Aggressive Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > California

Old 12-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
neilinla

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Aggressive Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami

Hi Everyone, I'm so excited that I found this site! I am new to the hobby, in fact I got involved only because I decided to set up an aquarium for my nephew because I did not want land critters in my house. Anyway I have a 20 gallon aquarium that has been running now for only 2 months, it's fully cycled (I didn't even know what this meant two months ago) and heavily planted. The water is cyrstal clear, ph 7.5, temperature 80F, and no detectable levels of ammonia, nitriates, nitrates (I use test strips). I perform a 25 percent water change every week and change out my filter (Penguin Biowheel 150) every two weeks. For the plants I fertilized the substrate once and I use liquid fertilizer (1 tsp with every water change). I have 2 corys, 3 platys, 6 neon tetras, 1 ram, 1 betta, a bunch of cherry shrimp and a neon blue dwarf gourami which I added two weeks ago. So plants are doing great and the fish seem happy except that a week ago the gourami started tearing up my plants and started building a raft (which I assume is the start of a nest) and he is now very aggressive to the rest of the fish, chasing and nipping his tank mates. Everyone says dwarf gouramis are supposed to be peaceful but just my luck I got the only sociopath! Will this problem go away or do I have to get rid of him?
Old 12-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
pweifan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (58/100%)

A single Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami was my first fish ever Every time I tried to add other fish, the gourami would attack them. They aren't as aggressive as cichlids, but as far as "peaceful" fish go, they are very territorial and somewat aggressive.
pweifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Return the Gourami.

Betta and Gourami are closely related, and have similar behavior. They are territorial about the surface, and will fight.
Sometimes either of these species are so aggressive they cannot be kept in a community tank. They can attack all the other fish, at the surface or swimming lower in the tank.
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
neilinla

I was afraid of that. He's a beautiful fish and one of my nephew's favorites, the other being the betta (of course). Is it okay to add another ram? Red danios have great color but I think that the tank isn't big enough for six more fish. Any suggestions on colorful community fish?
Old 12-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
xdestry
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

https://www.google.com/search?q=pseu...w=1097&bih=567

Pseudomugil gertrudaes and all the other in the pseudomugil family are my favorite fish. Check them out! If you want some I might have some babies for sale in a month or so, otherwise you can try going to nature aquarium in santa monica for them.
xdestry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aggressive dwarf gourami, nesting