New filter?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default New filter?

Ive just recently got a new source of income and now that i have enough, i want something new, ive always done HOB filters and never done Canisters (atleast i believe they are called that) can anyone give any tips or recomendations on Canisters?

the thing is ive got Panda Garras that really like fast flowing water and a Canister outlet pipe is the perfect place for them to swim up, is there anything that can go on the outlet portion of the filter that wont hinder water flow but stop the sneaky little Panda Garras?

Ive got a 40 tall and pretty much at max stocking capeabilities for my current HOB's, i still have plans on a few more fish, ive also got a heavily planted tank which could help with filtration a bit but im thinking in the long run a canister filter might be the way to go.

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
dbosman@msu.edu
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

A spray bar output will take care of the fish going into the outflow.

Your going to get recommendations for every brand canister filter on the market. The fact is, they all work, and generally very well. Every brand has had a few lemons. Every manufacturer has put out a lemon or three. Most stand behind their products and quickly repair or replace. The less expensive "Chinese knock offs" won't and don't have the support a Fluval or Eheim will provide. The price doesn't cover it. Along that line, I have a Chinese knock off of the Eheim Pro series and my only complaint is that at almost double the water capacity, it's heavy. (aww...)

If you are worried about service, purchase your canister filter from a local vendor. You'll pay more, but the peace of mind from a local dealer should help.

My pitch, having used most of the filters on the market over the last several decades?
Eheim. ;-)
It's really hard to better the classic series. For a 40g tank, the 2217 should be perfect.

or Fluval
or API
or ...
dbosman@msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:02 AM   #3
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (427/100%)

If you need solid flow, a 2217 won't really do much for you. I wouldn't use that filter on anything larger than 20 gallons. Should probably go at least one step up if you stick with Eheim in a tank that large.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
If you need solid flow, a 2217 won't really do much for you. I wouldn't use that filter on anything larger than 20 gallons. Should probably go at least one step up if you stick with Eheim in a tank that large.
I disagree. I have a 2215 w/ a 2217 impeller on a 20 long. It has way more flow than I need, though I like a lot of flow. I used it with the stock impeller on a 29 gallon with no issues, I would say a "normal" amount of flow for a high tech planted tank, not excessive, which I like. I think a 2217 would be perfectly adequate for a 40 gallon tank. I personally would want more flow but it would be fine.

My brand vote is Eheim. But, as stated, most brands are good. Not sure how much flow you want so pick a size. At minimum for low tech you are going to want the water to turn over 3x per hour. Many of us go well above that to 10x per hour. Some go really high, like 15x per hour.

What that means is if you have a 40 gallon tank, for 3x per hour, you need a flow rate of 120gph. Real, not advertized because most are advertized high. They aren't necessarily lying to you, they just rate it level (not under a tank) without any media inside. That's just not accurate for how we use them, not sure why manufactures do that.

Sorry if that sounds convoluted but just try to get an idea of where you want to be flow wise, with 3 being pretty low, 10 being high, and multiply that number by your tank size, which in this case would be 40.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
Michael M
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I use an Eheim 2217 on a 40 gallon breeder, it has good flow. I don't know why anyone would think it doesn't.
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #6
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael M View Post
I use an Eheim 2217 on a 40 gallon breeder, it has good flow. I don't know why anyone would think it doesn't.
I like the looks of the Ehiem 2217, i dont want particularly fast water flow, i also have an airstone so the filter creating flow isnt a big issue to me

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
Michael M
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADJAquariums View Post
I like the looks of the Ehiem 2217, i dont want particularly fast water flow, i also have an airstone so the filter creating flow isnt a big issue to me
It's not a fancy filter but it's about as reliable as they get. People run them for years and years and years.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (427/100%)

Because it doesn't provide solid flow all around the tank. Using lily pipes? Tiny amount of flow. Using a custom spray bar can help but there are still a ton of dead spots and circulation pumps are necessary.

My general rule of thumb: 2211 for 5gal or less, 2213 on nothing larger than 10gal, 2215 on 12-15, 2217 on 20-25.

I find the 2217 is perfect for a 20long. Seems to be consistent with what a lot of Planted Tank folks use.

Quote:
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #9
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Because it doesn't provide solid flow all around the tank. Using lily pipes? Tiny amount of flow. Using a custom spray bar can help but there are still a ton of dead spots and circulation pumps are necessary.

My general rule of thumb: 2211 for 5gal or less, 2213 on nothing larger than 10gal, 2215 on 12-15, 2217 on 20-25.

I find the 2217 is perfect for a 20long. Seems to be consistent with what a lot of Planted Tank folks use.
Im going to be using it on a 40 tall and am not worrying about the flow the filter will or will not be producing. im more or less looking to overfilter the tank on a higher level, ideally i want everything on the list of stocking that i said before, what would you recomend for a 40 tall?

-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #10
AquaMD
Algae Grower

I never much liked canister filters, they always seemed to difficult to maintain and clean. It is nice that you can store them under the tank and get the tank much closer to the back of the wall.
I am intrigued by the new fluval G canisters

If you want to stick with HOB I always like the emperor filters http://www.marineland.com/products/a...er-filter.aspx
Ran a 55 fish only saltwater tank off of the large one years ago with out a problem.
AquaMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #11
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Hmm, so many to choose from, what would you guys (or gals) think is the best for the tank i have along with stock?

40 gallon tall 23x31x12.5 Inches (these are very rough the tank is actually like 38 or 39 but 40 is just easier and more common)

In all i want a total stock of
2 Angelfish
2 Bolivian Rams
1 Dwarf Gourami (questionable still)
4 Panda Corys
3 otto's
6-8 Rummynose Tetras
2 Neon Tetras
3 panda garras

In all i want Superb filtration, i also do weekly water changes of 30%

-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #12
Michael M
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADJAquariums View Post
Hmm, so many to choose from, what would you guys (or gals) think is the best for the tank i have along with stock?

40 gallon tall 23x31x12.5 Inches (these are very rough the tank is actually like 38 or 39 but 40 is just easier and more common)

In all i want a total stock of
2 Angelfish
2 Bolivian Rams
1 Dwarf Gourami (questionable still)
4 Panda Corys
3 otto's
6-8 Rummynose Tetras
2 Neon Tetras
3 panda garras

In all i want Superb filtration, i also do weekly water changes of 30%
Would be wise to skip the Dwarf Gourami, these fish have so many problems they shouldn't even be in the hobby yet they are commonly sold just about everywhere despite the fact they generally don't last long in a community tank.

I should read the link below before bothering with this species. I'm glad I read this because I was planning on including one in one of my aquariums as well.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/dwfgdis.htm
Old 11-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #13
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Would be wise to skip the Dwarf Gourami, these fish have so many problems they shouldn't even be in the hobby yet they are commonly sold just about everywhere despite the fact they generally don't last long in a community tank.

I should read the link below before bothering with this species. I'm glad I read this because I was planning on including one in one of my aquariums as well.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/dwfgdis.htm
I already have one that ive had for almost a year now, i have no complaints with the species, ive only had one die and that was because he got Columnaris along with a neon tetra

-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 12:02 AM   #14
tiggity
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I have a fluval 306 and it's a great filter and good flow. Very easy maintenance and no problems so far
40B Dirt | Aqueon Evolve 8 Dirt | Fraternity of Dirt #120
tiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:57 AM   #15
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I never add larger filters which are expensive and a lot of maintenance just to increase flow. For that I use a simple cheap powerhead that can be hidden wherever needed much easier than filters.
To me the filter has to do a good job filtering, that's all. The circulation is a good job for a pump. I use 2217's on 75's and add powerheads.
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote