30B Build for West African Riparium Biotope Input Needed
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 11-21-2012, 12:12 AM   #1
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default 30B Build for West African Riparium Biotope Input Needed

I've been working for awhile now on this concept of building a West African Riverian biotope tank. At this point, I've aquired a pair of Kribs, a school of Congo tetras, and a small school of synodontis catfish. I'm working on incorperating a canister filter to drive the return, which will be a PVC pipe channel below the substrate with various outlets, and I'd like to make one of those outlets a small waterfall.

The concept for the channeled return is based loosely on this article;
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ug_jets.php

I'm planning to use a larger canister filter to drive the return manifold.

I'm leaning towards a riparium type tank, but I'm working with a 30 breeder, so height is pretty limited. Since I want to add some African butterfly cichlids (not sure if that may be too much of a bioload), I'm trying to figure all that out with a screen cover.

I've already managed to aquire a number of varieties of anubias and Java fern, and will be adding some plants as I go. The substrate will be white sand and I'll be attempting either a foam 3-D background or a BS foamed type background to cover the rear wall.

Here's the current layout of the channeled return, the return line will enter on the right side via the grey connection and then exit from the various openings. The main portions of the manifold will be behind the background or under the substrate and rock piles will cover the outflows.

At this point, any thoughts or input on the design or stocking are welcome.

Last edited by Wy Renegade; 11-21-2012 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: Fixed title
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 02:33 AM   #2
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (142/100%)

If you want to make a West African-themed riparium setup then Bolbitis heudelotii and Anubias spp. would be two of the best choices for emersed aquatics, but these will both do best if you keep them in high humidity. For these plants it would be preferable to use a tall tank with a lowered water level and lid on top to keep it moist inside.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Neat idea - I'll be watching this one to see how it comes together.
schoolzoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
If you want to make a West African-themed riparium setup then Bolbitis heudelotii and Anubias spp. would be two of the best choices for emersed aquatics, but these will both do best if you keep them in high humidity. For these plants it would be preferable to use a tall tank with a lowered water level and lid on top to keep it moist inside.
Thanks hydrophyte. I've aquired several different species of Anubias at this point, but would like to come up with some of the A. nano. I also have to find some B. heudelotii. I could do a lid, but tall isn't an option for this tank due to where it is located.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolzoo View Post
Neat idea - I'll be watching this one to see how it comes together.
Thanks, we will see what happens.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

Messing around a little with some aquascaping thoughts;

Old 11-21-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)

Rocks seem a little too big and out of place.
Jonnywhoop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hhhhhmmmm might have to go do a little riverbank walking.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #8
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

i really dig the undergravel jets, wish i saw this before i started building mine...lol have you had this sucker filled and running yet? i am kind of curious to know what kind of flow you get from the vertical pipe in the left rear. seems like after you pinch off all the extra jets on the bottom, it might have more pressure than you are looking for.

actually, i like the rocks, sorry Jonny. once you have a couple inches of substrate in there, they won't look as big and bulky.

any thoughts on how to cover up that jet in the right front corner? unfortunately, i think if you use the rock method like the left front, it is going to look too symmetrical.

what is your projected water level? i'm thinking if you have this about half full, after substrate, you may be looking at only about 12-13 gallons, which may be a bit light for all the fish planned.

are you looking for a. nana petite? if you are in no rush, i can send you some nice petites and some bolbitis in the spring. the bolbitis is just starting to take off and i have some crazy amounts of petitie growing in my 75. some are almost as big as my fist....lol actually, depends on if i can get my hand on a heat pack from one of my local guys. if i can, i'll send you some up as soon as i can trim out the bolbitis.

btw...i wish i had a science teacher as cool as you when i was in school....LOL
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #9
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

hey devin, even though Renegade has this planned as a West African tank, don't you think a Lagenandra Thwaitessi would look cool in this setup?"
Old 11-22-2012, 01:08 AM   #10
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'm not sure how well the waterfall outlet will work if it's connected to the same piping as the lower outlets.

You might need either a dedicated pump/powerhead for the waterfall, or some sort of restrictive valves on the lower outlets.

Otherwise, I think you would either get too much flow out of the lower outlets, or none at all through the waterfall.

Why not have the waterfall be the only outlet?

I think the rocks and wood look nice, and having plants will fill in quite a bit.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 04:52 AM   #11
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (142/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy Renegade View Post
Thanks hydrophyte. I've aquired several different species of Anubias at this point, but would like to come up with some of the A. nano. I also have to find some B. heudelotii. I could do a lid, but tall isn't an option for this tank due to where it is located.
A. hastifolia and similar big, arrowhead-leaf Anubias might do OK in an open-top setup.

A. barteri really hates dry air and its leaves will brown around the edges unless you keep it in high humidity.

I can probably think of a few other suitable more or less representative plants for a West Africa-themed riparium. I'm sure that various Cyperus occur there--there are hundreds of species in this genus all over the world--so you could incorporate some Cyperus 'Baby Tut' as a background riparium plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
hey devin, even though Renegade has this planned as a West African tank, don't you think a Lagenandra Thwaitessi would look cool in this setup?"
That's another plant that needs humid air to grow very well emersed. It would be better in a riparium with a closed top.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #12
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

i thought he was going with a lid, that's why i suggested it. how do you think a. angustfolia would fare in an open top riparium setup? it is a rather broad, arrow leafed anubias.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #13
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

So, are you scrapping the whole vent idea for something more traditional? Or are you planning on the same setup, just using a sump? And a piece of burl wood would cover that vent up nice. I like burls, the wood that look like a rock
Old 11-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #14
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
So, are you scrapping the whole vent idea for something more traditional? Or are you planning on the same setup, just using a sump? And a piece of burl wood would cover that vent up nice. I like burls, the wood that look like a rock
Oh no, the vent idea still stands, just redesigning the manifold a bit to be able to incorporate more of a natural pool look in the tank (at least that is what I am aiming for). A burl would be a great idea on that vent, unfortunately, that would mean another long trip to my not so local LFS.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #15
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy Renegade View Post
Oh no, the vent idea still stands, just redesigning the manifold a bit to be able to incorporate more of a natural pool look in the tank (at least that is what I am aiming for). A burl would be a great idea on that vent, unfortunately, that would mean another long trip to my not so local LFS.
Tom barr normally has some nice burls. Check with him or woodcraft.com. they normally have decent burls.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.