finnex ray 2 on 75 gallon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 11-18-2012, 01:09 AM   #1
scotty82
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/92%)
Default finnex ray 2 on 75 gallon

As it says in the tittle, I was wondering if anyone has used the finnex ray 2 on a 21" tall tank and what kind of lighting did it create? Is it wide angle enough for 18"? So what I'm asking is if anyone with a 75 gallon has used the 48" finnex ray 2?
Old 11-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I can not address a 75 gallon directly, but I have a 58 show - which is a 75 cut down to 3 ft.

My 250watt metal halide was failing so I rushed this experiment (it will run about 10 minutes and then turn off for about the same). Took pictures with the Ray 2, a shop light 2xodno, and my 250 watt. Brightness wise the 250watt is much brighter - but then again it is 250watts (versus 100, and 28). I think the ray 2 was brighter than the odno - but my camera's exif data does not show a material difference (the odno has more spill, so that may have caused the camera data to be skewed).

Since I only went to the ray 2 this weekend - I have no experience to how the plants will enjoy it or not - I have had significant deterioration over the last 2 weeks as the hqi failed.
----
Please understand, I am bias as I have always tried to keep more than 200 watts on top of my 3 ft tank. I think I was in the HIGH light level, and have probably fallen to medium to medium-high. I will edit this post once I post pictures on my tanks blog.
----
Ray II

2x ODNO Shoplight

250watt HQI

Please note that these are iphone pictures with auto exposure on. To keep perspective, the first 2 have 1/20 second exposure times - the third is 1/129 second.
58 gallon oceanic, 250w 10k pendent, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser

Last edited by jgc; 11-19-2012 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: add pictures
jgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
nvladik
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

I am using one, here's a shot of it before it was filled.

NIKON pimp #017
Sump pimp #014
nvladik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

The data in http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=189944 show that you would get medium light, around 45-50 micromols of PAR, with that light on a standard 75 gallon tank. Last week I measured the PAR from a 16 inch long RayII light, and the readings were very close to what is in that thread, including the spread of the light. I think those are superb lights for getting good uniform light over a very large area. And, don't forget some light will be reflected off the front and back glass down to the substrate, so you should get even more PAR than the data show.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
scotty82
Planted Tank Obsessed

Perfect. Thanks to both of you for your input. Being in the medium light level is what I'm tying to be in. Still great light and matches my diy co2 quite well. Know I know what I'm going to ask the wife for Christmas.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:40 AM   #6
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty82 View Post
Now I know what I'm going to ask the wife for Christmas.
Show your wife what a great guy you are by offering to let her buy what she wants for Christmas, and, of course you will relieve her of the worry of finding something you will like, by buying what you want for Christmas. This has worked extremely well for me.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
scotty82
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Show your wife what a great guy you are by offering to let her buy what she wants for Christmas, and, of course you will relieve her of the worry of finding something you will like, by buying what you want for Christmas. This has worked extremely well for me.
I wish it was that easy. I tried that 2 years ago and she said it's not fun doing it that way. But after last year I think I'll try it again and say "see this way we wont spend money on anything to just sit in the closet and collect dust."

I'm sold on the ray 2 thought. The only thing is I wish it had 4-6 "moonlights" for night time.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
BriDroid
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty82 View Post
...now I know what I'm going to ask the wife for Christmas.
Same here, I'm getting one for my 72 bow front (almost same dimensions as your 75, but with a curved front). From all the research I've done on here and Google, it seems like it's the way to go!
BriDroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #9
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

Aren't those readings based on a tank without water?
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:06 PM   #10
scotty82
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Yes, but from what I've read about the values they don't seem to drop much at all going through water. Well not at least just 20" or so of water.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:57 AM   #11
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
I did some experimenting back when I first got to use a PAR meter. I found that the intensity with water is a bit higher than without water. Eventually I figured out that the air to water interface acts to slightly focus the light, increasing the intensity, plus, for most tanks, you get some light reflected off the front and back glass, which also increases the intensity. After that I started just measuring PAR out in the air.

All we are doing is stating that a light which produces XX PAR at YY distance, in air, will give you low or medium or high, etc. light in a tank that has the light YY distance from the substrate. Of course in a tank of water, even with no plants, the PAR varies a lot from one location to another in the tank.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #12
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
...I found that the intensity with water is a bit higher than without water. Eventually I figured out that the air to water interface acts to slightly focus the light, increasing the intensity, plus, for most tanks, you get some light reflected off the front and back glass, which also increases the intensity. After that I started just measuring PAR out in the air.

All we are doing is stating that a light which produces XX PAR at YY distance, in air, will give you low or medium or high, etc. light in a tank that has the light YY distance from the substrate. Of course in a tank of water, even with no plants, the PAR varies a lot from one location to another in the tank.
So why do those fishes under the water develop their own light systems. What the sun doesn't have enough PAR, LOL. So at what point does water hinder light intensity rather than enhance it?
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #13
Oxl
Planted Member

I've been eyeing that light fixture, nice thing about it is that it is so narrow that it would be simple to add more units if one proves to be insufficient.
Oxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #14
jester56
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxl View Post
I've been eyeing that light fixture, nice thing about it is that it is so narrow that it would be simple to add more units if one proves to be insufficient.
I have 2 36" Ray II fixtures on a 50 gal. Only drawing 29 watts for the daylight 290 LED model, these things throw an awesome amount of light. After what Hoppy said, I'm considering hanging mine from the ceiling. Radiant heat is almost non existent. I can pick one up in the center and it is barely warm. I'm a fan!
jester56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:00 PM   #15
Kai808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

How about an early Christmas gift? Check out the Black Friday deals.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=197885

http://www.aquavibrant.com/index.php/specials.html
Kai808 is offline   Reply With Quote