Deep Blue 3 Gallon Questions!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 11-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
Default Deep Blue 3 Gallon Questions!

Looking into getting a 3 gallon deep blue as a shrimp tank. Im just trying to figure out the lighting situation... I was looking at a finnex ray 2 at 18inches but I think itll become an algae disaster. The tank itself is going to be mostly mosses, with maybe some plants like s.repens, UG... Unless I just focus on the shrimp and cut all excess plants out.

Just would like some feedback as to how I can go about setting up this tank the right way!

PS: I guess i still need to decide whether plants or shrimp is more important. Theres a chance I might just scrap the whole plant idea and go just moss and soil, but i mean hey, this is a planted tank forum, It would kill me not to aquascape this 3 gallon hard! haahha
Jonnywhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (432/100%)

Your best bet is to look at several 3gal journals here on the forum. There are several different fixtures that will work.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:25 PM   #3
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah I was looking at your thread for a long time. Basically read all 15 pages or so haha. Was thinking of getting a cheap led like yours if shrimp is my primary concern. If I can find a way to raise it, I would get the finnex ray 2. But how to do that for a desktop application?
Old 11-14-2012, 12:11 AM   #4
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (432/100%)

The Finnex fixture would be crazy high light and it would have to be suspended quite a bit above the tank. Even a Fugeray would be a ton of light.

You could get the el cheapo fixture like I've got on one of my tanks and it will handle low/media plants fine. Could also get a Double Bright fixture for even more lighting.

No matter what you decide, you'll be able to achieve high lighting (with CO2, ferts) for very little cost with such a shallow tank.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:58 AM   #5
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

do you dose your shrimp tanks with fertz? pretty nervous to do that with my current CRS tank.