Water cooling pump for pc to DIY canister filter
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 11-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
Droyer
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Water cooling pump for pc to DIY canister filter

When I was a bit younger I was really big into computers and even dabbled into water cooling and overclocking and so on. However I have this pump leftover and just laying around and I would like to try and put it back to good use. My plan is to use it for a DIY canister filter as its max output is 310gph. Specs can be found here http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swmc12vdcpu.html
{edit it has 5 speeds and this would be used on either my 10 gallon or 29 gallon}

The pic of my pump is attatched.

It is powered by a 4 pin 12v DC molex connector however i found my way around this by using http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2F13KK758WMXQ with prime shipping it would cost me 12$

This pump is not submersible but I have seen some DIY canister filters that have used external pumps.

I don't know exactly what I'm going to use for my canister but I have some ideas. If anyone has any ideas to help me out that would be great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20121113_125046.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	57036  

Droyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
jarvitron
Algae Grower

I used a Danger Den pump for water cooling my computer (looked identical to your Swiftech) and while it had good flow and was very quiet it had very very limited max head (2-2.5 feet, IIRC) so you probably want to make sure your canister is close to the same level as your tank.
jarvitron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
Droyer
Algae Grower

Ah I will take that into consideration even though the specs show it having a max head of 10'. I would assume it as actually less than that but not that much less. I was thinking about a few feet from the tank as my 29 gallon is on a stand and the canister would need to be underneath.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

Sell the pump, buy a proper canister. Just my two cents.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 12:30 AM   #5
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post
Sell the pump, buy a proper canister. Just my two cents.

After really wanting to build a DIY canister and after reading many, many threads, I fully agree!
DIY canister filter seem to fit a couple different types. One is the type which never is completed to be a satisfactory filter. The second group is the ones who finish but have to admit they are not using the filter and wish they had not biult it. A great deal of time , effort and expense often results in a filter which does little but make the builder wish he had not started.
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 01:30 AM   #6
Droyer
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the advice guys. as much as id love to do it..and maybe still will sometime for just a fun project I will take the advice and just buy one.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:37 AM   #7
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (138/100%)

I have looked into those pumps and I understand that they foul very easily. You are supposed to run them with super clean water for cooling a PC.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.