The majic of LED's (are they really that efficeint-help deciding lighting)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 11-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default The majic of LED's (are they really that efficeint-help deciding lighting)

I am tired. Tired of repairing and replacing failing lighting.

I started out with only minimal concern for budget. I have had my 250 watt hqi fail and be rebuilt at least 6 times now (and it's flickering again, so will be out in a week or so). I had my 2x96pc fail and be repaired 3 times, finally had a fire with one of my two odno's (water sprayed into fixture - not the odno's fault). That is all on the same tank (see sig line). I am tired.

Now for the math. I ran 250 watts with a good reflector and it was very nice . I ran 192 with top of the line reflectors and they were nice as well (but lost the point source reflections ). I ran about 220 watts with the 4 odno t8's and it pearled like soda (and looked like a redneck shop rather than my living room).

----
So a new direction. Trying to decide between over the counter 36" 28watt Finnex Ray 2 (per various posts that would still be considered high light). and a diy using something like a pair of citizen 40watt 12x12's. I convinced myself 3 citizen 60watt 18x18 would be out of budget, hard to do the same if the 2 40's is going to put more useful light on my plants than my current system for 2/3 the price of the Ray 2. (fwiw considering using a meanwell ELN ballist. It will require wall wart for a 10v source - but will want that for a fan(s) anyway).

A tired mind request others input.
---
Just a follow up. Ray 2 should be arriving Friday. I might continue work on the citizen for another tank - but I did not feel that I could realistically collect the parts and assemble a diy project before I started loosing plants.
58 gallon oceanic, 250w 10k pendent, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser

Last edited by jgc; 11-14-2012 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: update
jgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:06 PM   #2
james1542
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

I'd suggest go to ebay and search for LED flood light. Depending on how much light you want.. there is anything from 10watts all the way up to 160+ watts.. They are pretty efficient too, producing around 90 lumens per watt. Most of them use SMD led's now I'm starting to see some using the CREE led. I am trying out the 30WSMD, it's bright enough, love the shadows it casts, and the shimmer when you have rippling water on the surface.
james1542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, I posted the pictures in my tank's blog. Time will tell how the spectrum agrees with the plants. It is not as much light as my old 250watt hqi. Hard to tell if it is more or less than 1/2 of my old 2xodno t-8 system (I was running 2 shop lights till one was shorted and caught on fire).

It is enough light to make the aquarium look good in person. It is a very attractive fixture. Likewise I simply do not have the time to maintain the tank as an EI extreme high tec anyway. So this this change is inline with many others I have made to the tank.

Anyway, some magic maybe, but does not violate laws of physics.
58 gallon oceanic, 250w 10k pendent, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser
Old 11-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Did not take time for good new pics (quick pics are in the tanks blog) - but very encouraging 1 week growth with the Ray II.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Hard to go wrong with a Ray 2, you will be happy with it (and yes, much lower energy usage)
Old 11-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

I read the title of the thread in the voice of Celine Dion.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
citizen, finnex, led, meanwell, ray 2