Critique please
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 11-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
ony
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Critique please

Opinions welcome!
ony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

I really like it! maybe a midground size plant with some red to it coming from behind the driftwood to the next section of tall plants on the left??
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
amphirion
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

pretty good. though, personally, a little too green for my taste. would appreciate some plants that are light green or red. you also seem to be very heavy with stemmed plants that have similar leaf morphologies. was this intentional? stemmed plants with varying leaf structures would definitely make the greens and the reds pop.
some plants that i think would work well for you could be:
Myriophyllum tuberculatum
Rotala wallichii
Limnophila aromatica
a Blyxia species.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
ony
Planted Member

Oh I probably should have mentioned that this is a low tech tank, no CO2, only started dosing glut a few days ago. Plant choices were mostly by price/what I could trade for and I started out with only a few cuttings of each so its not surprising that the fastest growing stems now command the most tank space. That will change as the tank matures and slower growers catch up. I can just imagine the conversation with my other half if I suggested buying the plants up front "Thanks for letting me keep an aquarium larger than our bath in the living room, I'm just popping out to buy a few hundred pounds worth of plants for it. BTW don't expect to see me for a few weeks, I'll be glued to the aquarium pulling out all the dead leaves and replanting whatever decides to float". I think that would push the limits of even the most tolerant spouse XD
Old 11-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I think it looks great, but I would try to find a nice piece of wood to add some warmth to the dark section of the tank.
  • Also the hornwort that you have floating on the surface isn't dropping any needles?
  • 29G tank?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
ony
Planted Member

Hornwort generally behaves itself quite well as long as you don't pour excel on it or change PH really suddenly. I cull about half of it every week and take out the least healthy bits and give the rest a good rinse while I'm at it as it collects mulm in the same way as moss. The tank is a 72 gallon (4ft wide)