Ph shift?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 11-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
dhuffer
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Ph shift?

Hi there...... Is a slight Ph change when adding to the population normal? I have a 55 gal planted tank that is a few months old (and has been cycled) The first time I added fish I added 4 fish, a Cory cat and 3 Gouramis. Waited and tested water daily for a week the next weekend I added 5 more Tetras so we are up to nine. Waited another week testing daily. water stayed fine nitrate 20ppm nitrite 0ppm and ammonia 0pmm. That brings me to this last weekend I put a total of 6 more. 3 Tetras & 3 Angelfish. That was Friday night I tested Saturday night and my Ph that has been running right around 6.6-7.0 had dropped to about 6.4 or a little less. I do weekly water changes and everything has been staying pretty much stable until this last weekend... I tested again this morning and it has not dropped any farther but still. I like to stay on top of things before they become an issue...
Old 11-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

Default Your pH Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuffer View Post
Hi there...... Is a slight Ph change when adding to the population normal? I have a 55 gal planted tank that is a few months old (and has been cycled) The first time I added fish I added 4 fish, a Cory cat and 3 Gouramis. Waited and tested water daily for a week the next weekend I added 5 more Tetras so we are up to nine. Waited another week testing daily. water stayed fine nitrate 20ppm nitrite 0ppm and ammonia 0pmm. That brings me to this last weekend I put a total of 6 more. 3 Tetras & 3 Angelfish. That was Friday night I tested Saturday night and my Ph that has been running right around 6.6-7.0 had dropped to about 6.4 or a little less. I do weekly water changes and everything has been staying pretty much stable until this last weekend... I tested again this morning and it has not dropped any farther but still. I like to stay on top of things before they become an issue...
Hello d...

Unless you keep rare fish, you don't need to be concerned with pH, hardness or any of that kind of thing. As long as the water chemistry remains fairly stable, your fish will adapt to your tap water. Just treat it for the standard toxins like ammonia, chlorine and chloramine.

Large, frequent water changes will also maintain the water properties.

B
Old 11-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
dhuffer
Algae Grower

Default Thanks

Thanks for the insight......
Old 11-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
roadmaster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello d...

Unless you keep rare fish, you don't need to be concerned with pH, hardness or any of that kind of thing. As long as the water chemistry remains fairly stable, your fish will adapt to your tap water. Just treat it for the standard toxins like ammonia, chlorine and chloramine.

Large, frequent water changes will also maintain the water properties.

B
Have been keeping tropical's for nearly 40 year's, and there are lot's of fishes that will manage in moderately hard to hard water, and more than a few who thrive in soft, acidic water,and do poorly over the long haul in hard alkaline water.
Keeping soft water fishes in hard water, or vice versa,serves no useful purpose, and is often the difference between fishes that thrive,,,and those that last but a few week's month's IME.
roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (441/100%)

Large, frequent water changes are only necessary if you have large amounts of fertilizer in your water column or tons and tons of waste to remove.

Your pH drop could be a result of your tank aging, driftwood tannins, substrate, et al.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #6
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

No, adding that few fish to that large a tank will not cause that great a change in pH.

Better to control the GH and KH instead and let the pH alone.
For the fish you list GH and KH anywhere from 3 German degrees of hardness to about 5 would be optimum, and up to about 9 degrees would be OK for hatchery raised fish.

What is the GH and KH of the tap water, and of the tank?
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #7
dhuffer
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
No, adding that few fish to that large a tank will not cause that great a change in pH.

Better to control the GH and KH instead and let the pH alone.
For the fish you list GH and KH anywhere from 3 German degrees of hardness to about 5 would be optimum, and up to about 9 degrees would be OK for hatchery raised fish.

What is the GH and KH of the tap water, and of the tank?
I will double check again to make sure I have correct gh & kh reading ....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.