If u have aquasoil & powersand - how important are liquid fertilizers?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
glassguppy
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northwest Arkansas
Posts: 101
Default If u have aquasoil & powersand - how important are liquid fertilizers?

Hey everyone, quick question - If I'm using aquasoil and powersand, would it be wise to use another brand fertilizer, like pfertz? They've got a good deal on it looks for 45 percent off their' stuff, does it compare well against ada's stuff? I'm trying to save a buck here... also, I really do want a nice vibrant tank and crystal clear water, how beneficial is it to have liquid fertilisers if I have aquasoil and powersand? Could I go without liquid fertilizers? would I want to? lol
glassguppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
Darkblade48
Moderator
 
Darkblade48's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,017
Default

Depending on your lighting situation, liquid fertilizers may be called for. Under high light conditions, plants are driven harder, and require more nutrients and CO2.

If you are looking to save money, then you should purchase dry chemicals; it is the cheapest option, and you can customize your own dosing.
__________________
Anthony

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
glassguppy
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northwest Arkansas
Posts: 101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Depending on your lighting situation, liquid fertilizers may be called for. Under high light conditions, plants are driven harder, and require more nutrients and CO2.

If you are looking to save money, then you should purchase dry chemicals; it is the cheapest option, and you can customize your own dosing.
I have an eheim aquastyle 9 - the light from what I've gathered is medium, a 7 watt LED, supposedly 1200 lumens I think? And I hear that because it's LED light it cuts through water differently/more intensely than other types. I've heard it's medium to approaching high in terms of brightness but I can't tell myself since this is my' first planted tank. I don't think I can afford a CO2 setup anytime soon either btw. I could look into a DIY scenario later on at some point maybe but don't people do rather well without that anyway?
glassguppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
Darkblade48
Moderator
 
Darkblade48's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,017
Default

I am not too familiar with that light so I cannot tell you in certain terms what kind of lighting you have. Perhaps other members here can chime in.

However, if you cannot afford pressurized CO2, then DIY CO2 is another method you can go with.

It is possible to maintain an aquarium with no CO2, but these are generally lower light aquariums; in medium light and up, CO2 is generally needed in order to keep the plants healthy so that algae does not take advantage.
__________________
Anthony

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
Sotty
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA
Posts: 280
Default

All planted tanks, unless keeping the least demanding of species, will need some type of fertilizers.

Need for macro nutrients is driven by light and supplied by fish waste and uneaten fish food.

low light = low requirement for macros
lots of fish = high supply of macros (with the exception of K will frequently be deficient if relying only on fish waste)

So you can get away without macro nutrients assuming you have ow medium light and a decent fish load. Though I would still dose potassium.

But even with the best substrate in the world you will eventually becime micro deficient.

ALL tanks (with very few geographical exceptions) will become deficient in micro-nutrients over time. The first deficiency most see and report in my experience is iron.

whether you add the fertilizer as a liquid or a powder is immaterial. But I would suggest a buying dry unless you like paying for and paying to ship water.

Look up nilocg sale thread for dry ferts. You will be shocked how cheap they are compared to the liquid crap
Sotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:43 AM   #6
glassguppy
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northwest Arkansas
Posts: 101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotty View Post
All planted tanks, unless keeping the least demanding of species, will need some type of fertilizers.

Need for macro nutrients is driven by light and supplied by fish waste and uneaten fish food.

low light = low requirement for macros
lots of fish = high supply of macros (with the exception of K will frequently be deficient if relying only on fish waste)

So you can get away without macro nutrients assuming you have ow medium light and a decent fish load. Though I would still dose potassium.

But even with the best substrate in the world you will eventually becime micro deficient.

ALL tanks (with very few geographical exceptions) will become deficient in micro-nutrients over time. The first deficiency most see and report in my experience is iron.

whether you add the fertilizer as a liquid or a powder is immaterial. But I would suggest a buying dry unless you like paying for and paying to ship water.

Look up nilocg sale thread for dry ferts. You will be shocked how cheap they are compared to the liquid crap
Nilocg? So are dry fertilizers comparable to what I would get if for example I got anything from ADA? or Pfertz? And when you say dry ferts are you talking about like the kind you insert into the substrate? "root tabs?"
glassguppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #7
nilocg
Naive & Cavalier
 
nilocg's Avatar
 
PTrader: (444/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PacNW
Posts: 2,380
Default

If you want to make a liquid solution from dry ferts for your 9 gallon tank you would need some dosing containers, 500ml bottles would be good for a tank your size. You would mix the following:

Bottle 1- MacroNutrients-
20.831 g KNO3
4.061 g K2HPO4
Fill to the 500ml mark with RO water, dose 10ml 3x per week

Bottle 2- MicroNutrients
13.043 g Plantex CSM+B
Fill to the 500ml mark with RO water, dose 10ml 3x per week on alternating days with the Macros.

Do a 50% water change on the 7th day.
nilocg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:37 AM   #8
Darkblade48
Moderator
 
Darkblade48's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,017
Default

Ah, with a 9 gallon aquarium, 454 grams of dry chemicals (1 pound) should last more than a year, even if you are dosing EI (I assume that is what nilocg posted).
__________________
Anthony

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:41 AM   #9
glassguppy
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northwest Arkansas
Posts: 101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Ah, with a 9 gallon aquarium, 454 grams of dry chemicals (1 pound) should last more than a year, even if you are dosing EI (I assume that is what nilocg posted).
What does EI mean?
glassguppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #10
KH2PO4
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: N/A
Posts: 283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassguppy View Post
What does EI mean?
A fertilizing method based on a concept that excess in any* nutrient,
either in water column or substrate, doesn't cause algae.
Other "methods" of fertilizing may use the same ingredients (dry ferts) as EI.
But this is THE distinction that set it apart from other "schools".

And test kits are not needed, some even anti using them.

More info on the barrreport.com

------
*Except ammonia/ammonium in the water column.

Last edited by KH2PO4; 11-14-2012 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: Except ammonia/ammonium....
KH2PO4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012