A beginner
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 11-12-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
iplants
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default A beginner

Hello all,

I'm so glad I found this forum, I hope to get some help!

I bought a 5.5 gallon Marina kit one week ago. I have Miracle grow organic soil and was told to use play sand as a cap. I was also told to buy a CoraLife Mini compact fluorescent colormax 20 watt daylight lamp. Currently I have anubias on driftwood, brazil swords, lace java fern, water sprite, anacharis. The java fern and anubias are on the wood. Everything else is planted. I had one brazil sword die and some lace java fern. My sprite isn't looking too good either. I spent a lot of money on this and am afraid it will crash. I do not have any fish, shrimp, or snails in this tank. I poke holes in the ground..because I was told thats what I should do. If anyone can offer some advice that would so awesome! I really want to do this right! I relied on the associates at my LFS and feel like I was let down. I saw the fluval flora planted tank kit and wish I would have gone with that instead . Oh well right? I want my plants to live, thats my main concern if I have to get a bigger tank I will or if I have to change the substrate, I can! Anywho! Thank you for reading!
iplants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:16 AM   #2
Exie
Planted Member

Send a message via MSN to Exie Send a message via Skype™ to Exie

How did it die? Slowly rot from the tips? the whole thing turned translucent? Spots turned into holes and ate it away?
Exie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
iplants
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exie View Post
How did it die? Slowly rot from the tips? the whole thing turned translucent? Spots turned into holes and ate it away?
the lace java fern rotted from the tips and the brazil sword turned translucent. The sprite is starting to turn brown too.
iplants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Are you using any fertilizer or carbon (CO2) source?
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
Xavier10
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

My water sprite tips turned brown turned out to be algae. Diatom algae if you rub it off it comes of. I've had other plants go clear on me but new leafs grew out. I hear some will die from shock but it usually grows new ones just cut off the clear ones. I'm new at this also started oct 5 with a 50 gallon and now just set up a 10 gallon. It's all good so far.
Xavier10 is offline   Reply With Quote