My White's Tree Frog Paludarium (pic heavy)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 11-10-2012, 01:23 AM   #1
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Default My White's Tree Frog Paludarium (pic heavy)

figured i would post this in this section now that it has frogs in it We are 3 weeks in and The Prophet and Technoboy are loving their new home. they sleep, they play, they go for swims, they hunt. all are happy and well. well, for another couple weeks, when their 4 new tank mates move in.....lol then i'm sure all heck will break loose.

persicaria 'sao paulo' emerging from the water.

it's their home, i just maintain it, they decorate it as they see fit now. they thrash the tank every night....lol

the new guys

sorry for the monster post, i just never remember to do close ups, it's normally just a fts, you miss out on some of the detail. hope you enjoy it
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:00 AM   #2
ddrfreak_tung
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

those frogs are living it up.
ddrfreak_tung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:23 AM   #3
duff
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)

Hi Bill, the tank looks great and I love the FTS. It's turned out so nice! You should be very proud of the little slice of frog heaven you have created. I am sure the other 4 will be very happy to see their new home. When do you plan on adding them?

Also great news that you found Husband - hard to imagine that he survived that long on the lamb! What a testament to the hardiness of that little guy!
Old 11-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

Terrific set up! Just awesome what you have done!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

Now thats a tank!!!!!!!!!! I love it. How did you do your coco fiber? The look is fantastic. Are you having any trouble with it under the water? Is the background GS?
Learner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:37 PM   #6
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

sorry, was a bit busy this weekend building some new tanks

@ Shrimp and ddrfreak_tung- Thanks!! the frogs are loving it! for once, i am proud of a tank i built! LOL

@Duff- yup, it is truly a testament to how hardy these frogs are. 2 months without fresh water or food and he survived. truly astonishing to say the least. i fed my little guys about 2 dozen large crickets this afternoon, and there are 3 left. so i'm thinking i can put them into the tank in another week or so. i really wanted to wait another 2 weeks, but i need the quarantine bin for my other red eye.

@learner- some of the coco fiber was [ut on with silicone and some with titebond. anything that as in a tight area got brown silicone, just in case the coco fiber eroded away. at least i would still be left with a brown spot. so far, the titebond is holding up well. the background, as well as the land mass were all done with GS. i think i used 12 cans in all. a lot of it as wasted carving it out though. oh, and some of the background was covered in grout and sealed with titebond. that, for the most part, it holding up well too. i have a few cracks, but that was my fault. i should have done a layer or two more of grout. lesson learned.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:46 PM   #7
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

and here's a teaser pic or two of one of my new builds:

Old 11-12-2012, 01:58 AM   #8
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

Very sweet Bill! You have some incredible skills!! S glad that TPT added this section....so eye-opening!
Old 11-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #9
Steveboos
Algae Grower

That is amazing! You have some talent!!! Those frogs are going to be the happiest frogs ever!
20 Gallon Yellow Neo Tank
20 Gallon Half Moon Amazon Serpea Tank.
10 Gallon Blue Velvet Neo's
10 Gallon Betta/Cherry Neo Tank
10 Gallon Betta Tank
12G Rimless Club
Steveboos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #10
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

@Don- Thanks man. considering the "game changer" you just built, i take that compliment with the highest regard and yes, it is awesome that we have this section here so we can see what truly can be done with glass cages

@Steve- thanks for the kind words, and yes, those guys are living large in there. i don't think you'll find many frogs much happier than them. just look at the big grins on their faces
Old 11-13-2012, 12:28 AM   #11
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

Bill, do they really trash it up that much?? I would find that a little surprising as there is only two of them.....then again.....

What made you go with tree frogs instead of something smaller that would leave everything relatively unscathed (such as darts).

I withhold all further comments, as I am a noob at this, and am probably missing something pretty evident....
Old 11-13-2012, 12:54 AM   #12
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

you're not missing anything. and they really don't trash it all that bad. i am normally removing broken leaves and stuff. but when they hunt, man, they do not care what is in their way. it's a riot to watch. i have seen them leap directly into the glass to catch a cricket. when i first got them, they were in my 60g viv and i fed them just before lights out. i kept hearing a banging noise from the tank every feeding night. that's when i found out they we leaping from the highest branches to the bottom and into the glass to catch their food. i felt bad at first, but they just shook it off and ate another cricket. LOL
i originally was building this for dendrobates leucomelas, but as i started sourcing plants, it seemed i was unconsciously choosing plants better suited for white's than darts, so i just went with it. savvy people notice the hide hut in the left front. that was for the leucs. i have only seen my white's in there once and that was because he chased a cricket in there.....lol
my new one though, that's for mantellas. 40B paludarium. when i get further along with it, i'll start a thread on it.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:56 AM   #13
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey I got a question for ya. I need a nice riparium plant for my build and love the tall tropical fern in the right corner of your palud. I can actually get a hold of those up here and was wondering how its workin out. I didnt know that species could grow like that. How long has it been planted under water? Does it seem healthy?

I also love the shaggy look of your coco walls. Is that the silicone method? I know you said that you used several methods but where in the tank did you try the various methods. I have never done that before because of fear that it will fall off eventually. With that said, I used the titebond method and it turns out so dark and NOT shaggy. Its bomb proof but yours looks so good. I plan on doing something similar in my newt palud and want that very look.

Your tank is quite inspiring!

Thanks for the help as always
Old 11-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #14
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

That palm has been planted partially submerged for a month now. I got it at home depot, i think. I bought it as a goof and it turns out it is working pretty well. It's even getting nice , new growth. I did see your post about your plant shipment. That sucks. If you want plants that can grow emersed and petco/petsmart sells, you could always go with crypts. They will grow submerged, semi-emersed and emersed. I'll be using quite a few in my next build.
As far as coco fiber attaching, i used silicone under water in the front left, otherwise all the submerged section is titebond. On the land mass, the right side by the water feature and the hills on the left are siliconed, everything else is at least 2 coats of titebond. Hope that helps
Keep warm and safe up there in IRT territory!! When your spring hits, i'll send ya some plants
Old 11-17-2012, 03:31 AM   #15
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
That palm has been planted partially submerged for a month now. I got it at home depot, i think. I bought it as a goof and it turns out it is working pretty well. It's even getting nice , new growth. I did see your post about your plant shipment. That sucks. If you want plants that can grow emersed and petco/petsmart sells, you could always go with crypts. They will grow submerged, semi-emersed and emersed. I'll be using quite a few in my next build.
As far as coco fiber attaching, i used silicone under water in the front left, otherwise all the submerged section is titebond. On the land mass, the right side by the water feature and the hills on the left are siliconed, everything else is at least 2 coats of titebond. Hope that helps
Keep warm and safe up there in IRT territory!! When your spring hits, i'll send ya some plants
You're awesome, thanks! Winter will be a long one thats for sure; they always are. Good thing the outdoors is always fun no matter what the season! The info is great, your tank will be an inspiration when I finally get to the finishing touches of my build. Thanks again and do keep us posted with this new build. Its fair to say your mastering the genre..............headin' out to get some crypts on your advice.

Best Fishes
JD