Bucephalandras Questions: Emersed vs Submersed, etc.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 11-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
Trail_Mix
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Thumbs down Bucephalandras Questions: Emersed vs Submersed, etc.

I am thinking about creating an emersed set up for crypts in the near future, but before that, I really want to get a collection of bucephalandras. I was wondering, I have seen many people grow them emersed along with their crypts, and I know that in nature, they grow in fast moving streams and rivers, above the water line most of the year. However, I have heard that grown submersed, the leaves are more colorful and the plants look healthier, though they may grow slower (not as important to me). I have also heard that they grow better in a fast current. Is this true? Also, I know that most people who grow them emersed grow them in pots, but I have heard that they really require driftwood or rocks to attach to...

I guess that they can be grown all these ways, since people do them, but I just want to know what the best possible way to grow bucephs is. Submersed vs emersed, water flow rate, co2, water parameters, substrate, things like that. One idea I was toying with, was perhaps growing them emersed for awhile and then switching to submersed. I guess the logic was that they would grow faster at first, and then once switched to submerged growth they would get that nice color and those leaves... but now that I think about it, it doesn't really sound like the best idea, oh well, just a thought I had.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, and anybody who has these or has grown them, I would love to hear your experiences and advice. Also, if anybody has any to sell, please pm me, hehe... I am in the US, and planning on buying a bunch soon, but they just keep finding new varieties!

Oh also, if anybody has any good links on emersed growth techniques, that would be fantastic, I am have never grown plants emersed and am really excited to start!

Thanks!!
Trail_Mix is offline   Reply With Quote