Cichlid Breeding, Most Popular Fish?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 11-01-2012, 06:47 AM   #1
California
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Location: Universe,Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,United States,California
Default Cichlid Breeding, Most Popular Fish?

So this new petstore opened in my town and the guy at the shop tells me that his first choice in purchasing bred fish is the Blue Jack Demsey for $2 each. I'm assuming this is way low balling? Would you guys out there breed various Cichlids for around $2 each? Do you find it odd that a petstore's first choice in buying fish from local breeders is the Blue Jack Demsey? What do you think is the most popular fish in the hobby?
California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
Merth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

The electric blue seems very popular currently maybe he is buying the culls of someone's breeding program
Merth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
JoeGREEEN
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by California View Post
What do you think is the most popular fish in the hobby?
EBJD are very popular but all fish go out of "season/flavor" untill a new strain develops.

With cichlids, common LFS staples seem to be varieties of P. Scalare and diff types of rams GBR, EBR, gold, long-fin, Balloon Rams and etc.
JoeGREEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
LB79
Wannabe Guru

Don't forget kribs and mbuna...

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
longbeach
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

And Angelfish !!!
longbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

It seems what the local stores want is prone to change depending on day of the week! Locally they seem to want only the mbuna that are fully colored! That often means they want a male who is showing color for $3. So what is a local breeder supposed to do with the females who will stay grey forever? I no longer breed and sell to shops! Trading fish has to work for both parties in the deal.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #7
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Im thinking of Selling the angels to my LFS when i get a breeding operation set up, theyll give me 5-10 dollars per full grown adult and sell them for 25-30 depending on Colors and Variations, I think when breeding and selling to LFS's its a hit or miss opportunity, either they want it for a high price or they want it for practically nothing, I dont think he's necessarily Low balling but keep in mind he wants to make a profit, i think his price is fair if your selling Juvies and or fry but if he wants full colored adults, His price is really low

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #8
james1542
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

That is a strange answer. I'm sure they are not the most popular fish in the hobby, not even the most popular cichlid. $2 a fish is not a great deal on those either. I'm guessing they sell for between 20-40 each. I'd like some taiwan bee shrimp for $5 a pop but that doesn't mean it's going to happen.

Some fish store's are not worth dealing with and will give you almost nothing in store credit and only take super high quality adult fish, in very small quantities. They should be giving you at least 40% of what they sell the fish for in store credit, or 25% in cash. Good stores give you 50% or more in credit.
james1542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:12 AM   #9
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1542 View Post
That is a strange answer. I'm sure they are not the most popular fish in the hobby, not even the most popular cichlid. $2 a fish is not a great deal on those either. I'm guessing they sell for between 20-40 each. I'd like some taiwan bee shrimp for $5 a pop but that doesn't mean it's going to happen.

Some fish store's are not worth dealing with and will give you almost nothing in store credit and only take super high quality adult fish, in very small quantities. They should be giving you at least 40% of what they sell the fish for in store credit, or 25% in cash. Good stores give you 50% or more in credit.
A store isnt going to give you 40% of what they will make on a fish, they need enough to pay cost of bringing in the other fish in the store, electric and water bills and taxes, if your lucky you would get 25% of the sale of the fish, and since Blues go for around 25-30 dollars you should be getting around 6.50 per fish, 2 is low for adults, Unless your selling Juvies or fry try and get a better selling price, Also ive never seen a store give 50% in credit

Ask for like 5 dollars a fish if the owner could do that, thats probably a fair starting price, or if you start lower and bring in High quality fish you might start to get more Money or credit because you bring in High quality fish

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:01 AM   #10
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

I'n my opinion Flowerhorns are by far some of the best fish to breed, I've seen some Flowerhorns go for thousands of dollars. The main reason a Flowerhorn can grab a high price tag would be how big the KOK (nuchal hump) is on the males.

Another cichlid that goes for a good price would be the Red Texas Cichlid, which is a hybrid cross between a Male Green Texas cichlid, and a Female Blood Red Parrot cichlid.

Now as for LFS giving a fair price for the fish you bring into them is really nonexistent because they normally try to low ball you on the price. Whereas a LFS here in the Denver, CO. area actually gives you 50% of what they would resale the fish for.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:50 AM   #11
Msheresy
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by California View Post
So this new petstore opened in my town and the guy at the shop tells me that his first choice in purchasing bred fish is the Blue Jack Demsey for $2 each. I'm assuming this is way low balling? Would you guys out there breed various Cichlids for around $2 each? Do you find it odd that a petstore's first choice in buying fish from local breeders is the Blue Jack Demsey? What do you think is the most popular fish in the hobby?
Some cichlids? Yes. EBJD? No. The ones available now are hard to grow out unless your really up with water params, not over feeding etc (too much bad genetics cuz of inbreeding). they are prone to internal parasites until they reach a certain size. If you breed them you could get way more$ selling locally. I would never sell any of my EBJDs for $2. Heck, I would sell my bgjd for $2 either!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Msheresy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #12
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msheresy View Post
Some cichlids? Yes. EBJD? No. The ones available now are hard to grow out unless your really up with water params, not over feeding etc (too much bad genetics cuz of inbreeding). they are prone to internal parasites until they reach a certain size. If you breed them you could get way more$ selling locally. I would never sell any of my EBJDs for $2. Heck, I would sell my bgjd for $2 either!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yah, EBJD even when small tend to go for $20. Although it is possible to get healthy non-deformed ones, you have to go through a hobbyist to get those nice specimens and even then they are a relatively challenging fish to keep alive up until they hit at least 3". I had one once, got it up to 6 inches in about 3 years time. I'm wanting another one though, I just need to find one that is at least semi-decent size that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg.

They are more timid than regular JD's for some reason, which is why I am going to be keeping one (if I do get one) in a planted tank with delicate stems.....just because I'm that guy who would and can :P
HybridHerp is offline   Reply With Quote