Feit Par30 LED
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
Wizzy
Algae Grower
 
Wizzy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California, USA
Posts: 68
Default Feit Par30 LED

I already own this.

http://www.amazon.com/Feit-Electric-.../dp/B002Q8H99O

Quote:
5 High- powered LEDs 490 Lumens 3000-3200 Kelvin
And I was wondering if this would grow plants of any kind?

The Kelvin ratings pretty low and the Lumens aren't that great, so I assume the answer will be no or low light plants.

Thoughts?
Wizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe
 
somewhatshocked's Avatar
 
PTrader: (426/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,267
Default

You want a fixture that produces lighting that's at least 6500K in color temperature.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
i4x4nMore
Grow little guys... grow.
 
i4x4nMore's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
You want a fixture that produces lighting that's at least 6500K in color temperature.
This is not true. 2300K, 3200K, 4100K, 5000K, 6500K, 7500K, 8000K, 10000K... I've grown lush plants with all of them. All you need is enough of the kind of light you are providing.

My personal preference is 4100K, smooth spectrum.

I'm not sure why this 6500K "rule" keeps being passed around. I'm guessing it's marketing.

Cheers,
__________________
Jeremy Squires, Chicago, IL
One should never have to decide between chocolate, cake, or cookies.
i4x4nMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:04 AM   #4
Wizzy
Algae Grower
 
Wizzy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California, USA
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
You want a fixture that produces lighting that's at least 6500K in color temperature.
I agree that higher kelvin would probably be better and more appealing to the eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i4x4nMore View Post
This is not true. 2300K, 3200K, 4100K, 5000K, 6500K, 7500K, 8000K, 10000K... I've grown lush plants with all of them. All you need is enough of the kind of light you are providing.

My personal preference is 4100K, smooth spectrum.

I'm not sure why this 6500K "rule" keeps being passed around. I'm guessing it's marketing.

Cheers,
I agree with you too. The light just looks very orange.

And then the real question is whether the par30 I own is enough light?
Wizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:35 AM   #5
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru
 
Hoppy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (74/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 18,658
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzy View Post

And then the real question is whether the par30 I own is enough light?
If you try to light a 6 foot long tank with it, it won't work well. If you try to light a 2 gallon nano tank it probably won't work well. What are you trying to light with it?
__________________
Hoppy
Hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:15 AM   #6
Wizzy
Algae Grower
 
Wizzy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California, USA
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
If you try to light a 6 foot long tank with it, it won't work well. If you try to light a 2 gallon nano tank it probably won't work well. What are you trying to light with it?
Not really anything in particular...

I just happen to own it already and was wondering if it would be of any use in ANY application
Wizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe
 
somewhatshocked's Avatar
 
PTrader: (426/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,267
Default

I neither say it was a rule, nor that plants couldn't be grown with lighting of another color temperature.

6500 = pretty nice, average, appealing to the eye. People recommend lighting in the 6500k range purely because it appears fairly natural to the naked eye in a tank.

When someone is new to lighting, most people in this hobby try to steer them toward something that looks a lot like natural daylight. As the OP said, their light looks orange/yellow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i4x4nMore View Post
This is not true. 2300K, 3200K, 4100K, 5000K, 6500K, 7500K, 8000K, 10000K... I've grown lush plants with all of them. All you need is enough of the kind of light you are providing.

My personal preference is 4100K, smooth spectrum.

I'm not sure why this 6500K "rule" keeps being passed around. I'm guessing it's marketing.

Cheers,
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:46 AM   #8
Wizzy
Algae Grower
 
Wizzy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California, USA
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
There almost has to be a tank of some size somewhere that this would be a good light for. Not knowing how much light it puts out and how much the light spreads out, I have no idea what that tank would be.
I'll try and get some pictures posted of the light in action.



Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
I neither say it was a rule, nor that plants couldn't be grown with lighting of another color temperature.

6500 = pretty nice, average, appealing to the eye. People recommend lighting in the 6500k range purely because it appears fairly natural to the naked eye in a tank.

When someone is new to lighting, most people in this hobby try to steer them toward something that looks a lot like natural daylight. As the OP said, their light looks orange/yellow.
Agreed
Wizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:38 AM   #9
polukoff
Algae Grower
 
polukoff's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Schulenburg TX
Posts: 116
Default

$35 is a lot of money for less than 500 lumens.
polukoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:10 AM   #10
Wizzy
Algae Grower
 
Wizzy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California, USA
Posts: 68
Default

Here's another idea...

http://www.amazon.com/Sunpark-PAR38-.../dp/B002BL2TAK
Wizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:16 AM   #11
Wizzy
Algae Grower
 
Wizzy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California, USA
Posts: 68
Default

I wanted to update...

I'm getting good growth from Caulerpa and I added some Chaeto to my pico as well and it looks pretty good so far.

I'm impressed that the bulb can grow anything lol.

I suspect that I may be able to even grow some low light corals with this thing.

If I ever take down the saltwater pico I think this could grow at least medium light plants... but then again I could be wrong >.<

If I find out anything else I'll update the thread again since I think I'll only be able to find my answers through experimentation.
__________________
Wizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
kelvin, led, lumens, par30, plant

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012