problems with new bleeding heart tetra
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 10-13-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
Hardstuff
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default problems with new bleeding heart tetra

5 weeks in on new 10 gallon planted tank. I have been out of the planted tanks for 7 years so I am a little rusty. The problem is I have liquid rock for my tap. 400 ppm Gh, High Kh. I did not want to use R/O but the water is way to hard for fish & plants I want to keep. Mistake #1 I brought in fish to cycle the tank while cycling a backup 10 gallon for quarantine purposes. The first batch died 2 yellow danios , found out later they had gill flukes from store. Then I brought in 2 bleeding heart tetras. 1 died first week looked like it had mouth fungus, he was treated in hospital tank but died anyway. The planted 10 gallon tank in question has 6 different plants & flourite substrate with pressurized Co2 with 3 watts per gallon. Small external power & small sponge filter. Gh 10, Kh 5, ph average 7.0. Co2 runs only with lights so I get some ph swing. Temp average 78.5 F. I dose with flourish, flourish Fe, plantex with CSM+ boron, some calcium at times,& potassium nitrate. I keep a close watch on Ph, GH, Kh, Po4, NO3, NO2, NH3,NH4. I thought the tank was stable all nutrients chem levels including ammonia , nitrite, were gone with a slight 0.10 or less of nitrite & plants were lifting the top off the tank. Even the 1 lone bleeding heart was doing well. Now I picked up a nitrite spike at 0.25 & rising & the last bleeding heart going on a hunger strike & hiding the corner but does come out & seems interested in eating though. A week ago I treated the fish for gill flukes because some scratching against plant leaves, I contribute that to fertilizer but could still have gill flukes. My question is , is the problem gill flukes or is the fish hiding more for other reasons like tank still cycling??? I still use 20 % tap & remineralize remaining r/o, also I use prime. Sorry for long post but background info needed. Any Ideas?
Hardstuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
Hardstuff
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Tetra doing better

1 week later and the tetra looks very healthy & is eating better. I notice the fish scratches after dosing, so I am leaning towards thinking its fertilizer not flukes, but I am still not sure. The color looks very good and the fishes activity is more normal. I posted this to help other fish keepers know of this condition so not to medicate too quickly in some cases. Still learning.
Hardstuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.