New high tech tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 10-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
kjacks
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default New high tech tank

I have a fairly new 75g high tech, high light tank set up. I really need another opinion on this. Its been a while since my last aquarium setup. I have t5 6700k @ a little over 4wpg. Pressurized co2, w/sms 122 controller, ph set at 6.8. Co2 reactor. Fluval canister filter. Flourite substrate (3" deep). Full line of seachem ferts, according to seachems website schedule. I have a few rasbora tetras, 3 black mollies, 3 cory cats, 2 chinese algae eaters, 2 botia coaches, and a few shrimp... I want to grow riccia, glosso, and some red plants. My question is, how high do the lights need to be off the water? How should i be dosing ferts? What about co2 dosing? Just want some feedback... Thank you.
kjacks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 04:10 AM   #2
kjacks
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjacks View Post
I have a fairly new 75g high tech, high light tank set up. I really need another opinion on this. Its been a while since my last aquarium setup. I have t5 6700k @ a little over 4wpg. Pressurized co2, w/sms 122 controller, ph set at 6.8. Co2 reactor. Fluval canister filter. Flourite substrate (3" deep). Full line of seachem ferts, according to seachems website schedule. I have a few rasbora tetras, 3 black mollies, 3 cory cats, 2 chinese algae eaters, 2 botia coaches, and a few shrimp... I want to grow riccia, glosso, and some red plants. My question is, how high do the lights need to be off the water? How should i be dosing ferts? What about co2 dosing? Just want some feedback... Thank you.
Nobody can help?
Old 10-14-2012, 04:20 AM   #3
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

4 Wpg is a lot, riccia and glosso can grow in half of that with plenty of c02 . If you have a drop checker then add as much c02 as you can to get the DC fluid turn green and add a bubble of c02 each day , making sure the fish arntgasping for air. Every tank is different so nobody will have a lot of answers ... It's a trial and error situation and one of the few things that your on your own with in this hobby. Regarding dosing , just follow the seachem chart for a week or 2 and see how the plants react, if you need to add more of one fert then do so. Again every tank is different.

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
kjacks
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjohn21 View Post
4 Wpg is a lot, riccia and glosso can grow in half of that with plenty of c02 . If you have a drop checker then add as much c02 as you can to get the DC fluid turn green and add a bubble of c02 each day , making sure the fish arntgasping for air. Every tank is different so nobody will have a lot of answers ... It's a trial and error situation and one of the few things that your on your own with in this hobby. Regarding dosing , just follow the seachem chart for a week or 2 and see how the plants react, if you need to add more of one fert then do so. Again every tank is different.
Thank you. I currently don't have a drop checker, but i will be purchasing one asap. Another question is how to keep the red plants red? And i have some rotala indica that old leaves are browning on the edges and growth seems to be stunted. Any suggestions?
Old 10-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

Just keep dosing your ferts and check Hoppys light chart, keep your light on high and as much C02 as your fish will allow and the reds should come.

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
Old 10-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
kjacks
Algae Grower

I am currently running an oddysea 4 bulb t5 with 6700k bulbs and moonlight led's. I also had an aqualife 2 bulb t5 6700k, but took it off.. the 4 bulb is 5" above the water.... should it be mounted higher?? also the co2 has not kicked on all day. I am using a PH controller to dose co2, with a set point of 6.8... should the co2 be setup differently??? Just want to make sure enough co2 is present without gassing... ordered a drop checker, but is not here yet...
Old 10-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
kjacks
Algae Grower

What about the wpg rule? Does it differ from tank to tank? How much is too much?
Old 10-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #8
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (441/100%)

Watts Per Gallon is no longer really a thing - especially with modern planted tanks. The reason? Please refer to lighting stickies for details about PAR.

The reason, in short: 26watts of CFL lighting directly over a 10gal tank is way more light than that same 26w bulb would deliver if suspended three feet above the tank.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #9
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

The light fixture you have is known to have a low end reflector/ballasts which means another company's exact same fixture will produce more PAR than your oddysea.
When i first started i opted for a cheap fixture and bought the 4x18 T5ho fixture for my 10 gallon tank. I run all 4 lights and find its perfect for this setup. However if i had got say a Catalina fixture i would have only needed a single light fixture for the same results. With regards to how much C02, just keep checking your fish, obviously if they are gasping for air then you have too much.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #10
kjacks
Algae Grower

I have two bulb aqualife t5Ho with separate reflectors for each bulb. Would this be better? Its also a 2x54w setup.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
kjacks
Algae Grower

Quote:
I have two bulb aqualife t5Ho with separate reflectors for each bulb. Would this be better? Its also a 2x54w setup.
I switched to a two bulb T5. It has one 54w 10,000k bulb, and a 54w 6700k bulb. It has a separate reflector for each bulb. It is 4" above the water. Is this too low? I have it on a timer set for 8 hrs a day. I hope this works along with th pressurized Co2 and Ferts daily
Old 10-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #12
kjacks
Algae Grower

Quote:
I switched to a two bulb T5. It has one 54w 10,000k bulb, and a 54w 6700k bulb. It has a separate reflector for each bulb. It is 4" above the water. Is this too low? I have it on a timer set for 8 hrs a day. I hope this works along with th pressurized Co2 and Ferts daily..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.