Snowland
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 10-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
MateoM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Snowland

Hi,

I have been reading this forum for quite some time now and have finally decided to post my first aqua scape/hard scape attempt.
I call it Snowland due to the super white sand I used as a substrate.
I'm thinking about adding a tall plant with wide leaves in the far left corner and the tiny Anubias thatís already there is just a placeholder.

It's a 40L tank with LED lights, 600L/H AllPondSolutions filter and a 50W slim heater. I also use purigen to clear the tannins released from the wood since I've only been soaking it for a couple of weeks.

I think it still needs black maybe blue backing to cover the "magnolia" painted wall, filter and the cables behind the tank.

It's currently stocked with 5 Zebra Danio's, 5 young Cardinal Tetras and 1 juvenile swordtail (didnít want to go to the main tank with its family).

I hope you will enjoy watching the pictures and I'm open to any suggestions or criticism.

Regards,

MateoM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5256_2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	55063  

Name:	IMG_5345_2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	55064  

Name:	IMG_5308_2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	55065  

Name:	IMG_5302_2.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	55066  

Name:	IMG_5309_2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	55067  

MateoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
Chrisinator
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Reminds me of Game of Thrones.
Chrisinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:32 PM   #3
Vincent Tran
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

That tank looks great! The only thing is that the piece of wood on the far right kind of throws me off..
Vincent Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
MateoM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Tran View Post
That tank looks great! The only thing is that the piece of wood on the far right kind of throws me off..
I didn't even realise but now that you say it, it is a bit out of place on these pictures.
It looks better placed when viewed from a different angle, a bit higher up, but I wil try to rearrange the wood to make it look more suited.
My original plan was to have branches sticking out to the left and right but since I couldn't find suitable branches I used bog/drift wood pieces.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
Gabez
Algae Grower

make sure you take the anubias roots out of the substrate they grow better rooted to rocks or driftwood where the roots can feed off the water column
Gabez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:07 AM   #6
RCode
Algae Grower

Beautiful!!

It's sad what algae will do to that beautiful white sand.
I think you may be pretty good with the LEDs though. Any clean up crew planned? Some nice cory cats or a dwarf pleco is always nice.
RCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
MateoM
Algae Grower

Thans for the advice, it does have some roots above the sand. Anubias is just a placehoder for a bigger plant once I decide what I want. Can you suggest any medium stem plants that would fill the empty space on the left without huge light/co2 requirements?

I'm not worried about algae, the tank has been running for 8 weeks with swordtails that produced a lot of waste and no sign of algae yet. I will hoever admit that it requires a bit of maintenance. That isn't too bad, 5-10 minutes every few days keeps me away from setting up new tanks for now (already have 4).
Also I have 5 red cherries in there and plan on adding a few snails (suggestions). I'm not a big fan of corys and plecos will not fit to that tank very well. It's too bright and would need some hiding places. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

for some reason when i saw the pic, it reminded me of Halo
Old 10-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #9
MateoM
Algae Grower

I'm glad you like it and love the suggestions. I haven't seen African Butterfly fish before and it would look awesome. Problem is that the tank is too small for even one.
I'm planning to re-scape my main tank and you got me thinking, maybe I'll change my original plan and scape it with these fish in mind.