Red/Blue Grow Lights?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 10-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
Michael M
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Red/Blue Grow Lights?

I was kind of curious if using Red/Blue grow lights was a good/bad idea? I'm at work most of the day.. I don't usually get home until 7pm or later most days so I know they're probably not 'pretty' but since I'm not home I could just run them when I'm not there on a timer.

I was thinking something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Syste.../dp/B001N4NKB8

Would that promote algae growth? I was kind of curious I don't think I've ever seen anyone bring it up.
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
chibikaie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

I have the little Grow Spot by that company, and it has worked very well for a bumper crop of Java ferns and moss. The light does look very odd (plants appear black and I thought they were dying, but they are a healthy, lush green), but if no one is looking at it, I can't see how that would matter. You may get better results with the bigger panel, or a smaller tank (using it on a 40 breeder only lights half the tank).

I do get algae growing on the glass closest to the light, but nothing on the plants and it is no worse than the fluorescent lights I have used.
chibikaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
Michael M
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibikaie View Post
I have the little Grow Spot by that company, and it has worked very well for a bumper crop of Java ferns and moss. The light does look very odd (plants appear black and I thought they were dying, but they are a healthy, lush green), but if no one is looking at it, I can't see how that would matter. You may get better results with the bigger panel, or a smaller tank (using it on a 40 breeder only lights half the tank).

I do get algae growing on the glass closest to the light, but nothing on the plants and it is no worse than the fluorescent lights I have used.

Most of my plants are focused on the center of my 'scape I may get away with the smaller one.. I may get a bigger one though and try it thanks!
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:55 AM   #4
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Get a good plant light for when you are not there, and get a light with a good effect for you to watch the tank when you are home. You could put each on a timer, or just the plant bulb. Then turn on the 'people bulb' when you get home.

Plants use a few of the wavelengths in the red range, and some in the blue, but do not use so much in the green and yellow range. We see best in the green and yellow range, so different bulbs will light up the tank differently.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:06 AM   #5
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Getting enough light on a planted tank to get the plants growing well is very easy to do with the many lights that are available now. That wasn't true 20 years ago. So, why not just get a single light that provides enough light for the plants, but not so much that it is a major challenge to avoid algae problems, and use it both for growing plants and for viewing? Then, rather than playing with lights, spend your efforts getting a good CO2 supply to the plants. That will do far more for the plants than anything you can do with the lights.