General Chat - Talk about anything!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 10-02-2012, 03:01 AM   #1
VivaDaWolf
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Smile General Chat - Talk about anything!

Hoping this thread can be used for whatever nonsense, feel like asking questions? Ranting? Dropping in to say hi? Talking about your day? I'd love to hear about it.

Earlier today, there were comments on how we're all nerdy hahaha. So, what nerdy things aka hobbies do you guys like? I'm a big bio nerd and love learning up on animals and live stuff. And agreed, planted tanks...very sciencey. Too much, in fact
VivaDaWolf is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 03:08 AM   #2
philemon716
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

I used to run a yo-yo shop for about 4 years before selling my stake in it!

I have a question regarding filters...I unplugged my filter, cleaned it out, plugged it back in...but no flow. What gives? The thing is on as it spewed out little bits of garbage, but there is no flow.
philemon716 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 03:15 AM   #3
homemadepopcorn
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

What kind of filter is it?

EDIT: I hate calculus.

Last edited by homemadepopcorn; 10-02-2012 at 03:16 AM.. Reason: I hate calculus.
homemadepopcorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 03:30 AM   #4
MrBrongher
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

http://www.basny.org/Documents/Event...tober-2012.pdf

There's a BAS giant auction. I was at the last one and they had vendors for repashy food, yourfishstuff and python and the auction was very good. Anyone interested? I think I'm going, if only to stock up on fish food.
MrBrongher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 05:12 AM   #5
bettasusa
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrongher View Post
http://www.basny.org/Documents/Event...tober-2012.pdf

There's a BAS giant auction. I was at the last one and they had vendors for repashy food, yourfishstuff and python and the auction was very good. Anyone interested? I think I'm going, if only to stock up on fish food.
The membership sounds interesting. Is anyone here a member of the BAS? I'd be interested in joining and knowing if there are other betta people around. I think I'm going to go to this too. Thanks for the heads up
bettasusa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 05:46 AM   #6
DeLaFe
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I was a member of BAS for many years. It is an amazing club with a lot of great people and top notch events. The auctions are pretty good as well.

I keep meaning to go to a meeting, but life keeps getting in the way! I would recommend BAS to anyone... EXCELLENT reef keeping talks as well as fresh water.

Alfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettasusa View Post
The membership sounds interesting. Is anyone here a member of the BAS? I'd be interested in joining and knowing if there are other betta people around. I think I'm going to go to this too. Thanks for the heads up
DeLaFe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #7
Mr. Limpet
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
At last month's BAS auction there were Betta midas & Betta rubra, plus some elephant ear & mustard gas Betta splendens. I picked up a trio of Oryzias woworae for $4.00 & three CPDs for $3.00. The October & May auctions are the largest of the year, with tons of amazing fish & plants.
Mr. Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
furnfins
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
I'm a member, I mean for the price even if you only go to the FW or SW meetings during the year it's worth it. The big Auction is FREE to enter, usually there can be a $5 fee for regular meetings with speakers. It is a huge club but nice people. I'll be going to this one,trying to get some plants. I hope they have the venders there too,I got food from them last time, in fact I just shared some at the swap meet the other night.
furnfins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 03:46 AM   #9
VivaDaWolf
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by philemon716 View Post

I have a question regarding filters...I unplugged my filter, cleaned it out, plugged it back in...but no flow. What gives? The thing is on as it spewed out little bits of garbage, but there is no flow.
It might take a bit to get running again, I usually take a cup and pour some tank water into the flow box (assuming this is a hob) to get the suction going.

MrB, I missed out on the last BAS auction, never went before but I think I probably have work next Fri. I asked for the Sat next off because of NY Comic con : )

Monster, gave my first shot at plants this summer. Cue lots of things dying because plants are weird and I have no idea how to care for them. Ive got a rosemary bush still kickin' tho. I made a weird modgepodge of plants for my gecko tank recently, many are wilty because of compatibility issues but, eh. I love the spiky dracaena thing..its dying though, maybe I should take it out to salvage it.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:24 AM   #10
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaDaWolf View Post

Monster, gave my first shot at plants this summer. Cue lots of things dying because plants are weird and I have no idea how to care for them. Ive got a rosemary bush still kickin' tho. I made a weird modgepodge of plants for my gecko tank recently, many are wilty because of compatibility issues but, eh. I love the spiky dracaena thing..its dying though, maybe I should take it out to salvage it.

Are they getting enough light? I know pothos is almost indestructible.

Speaking about NY Comic Con, who else is going? I'm going for 3 days.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 04:10 AM   #11
cprash
Keeper of Pencilfish

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cprash

Quote:
Originally Posted by philemon716 View Post

Is the impeller running? My Aquaclear always does it and it takes a light pencil prodding to unstick it. Otherwise, pouring water into it could be needed to prime it.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:27 AM   #12
mach_six
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

You know you're getting old when you've known Aquastar and Pacific for almost 2 decades.

Those where the 2 stores, I purchased from when I started the hobby back when I was a teen. We would visit my grandparents on Mulberry so it was convenient for me.

Parking in that area was much easier too!
mach_six is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 03:30 AM   #13
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)

Anyone here grow any non-aquatic plants? I'm currently growing sarracenia and soon some drosera. Our soft, low TDS tap water is perfect for carnivorous plants.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 04:18 AM   #14
sonicpath
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (48/100%)

Is anyone interested in Bucephalandra sp. plants? here is the current plants that I have. if anyone has other types want to exchange, just PM me

lamandau purple
sanggau
melawi blue leaves
kanowit sibu
lamandau green
melawi round leaves
motleyana
lamandau mini purple
sekadau blue
brownie ghost
sintang
sekadau
sonicpath is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 04:41 AM   #15
VivaDaWolf
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Its right by a windowsill, but I dunno. I think I had a pothos in there.

it uh

died.

Maybe Ill see you saturday? I had planned to cosplay (I did last year) but somehow, I got into this fish hobby and now have no money or time. Go figure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.