7 Gallon Red Cherry Shrimp Cube (56k)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
deleted_user_17
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default 7 Gallon Red Cherry Shrimp Cube (56k)

Equipment:
7 Gallon /25 Litre Nano Cube
Eheim 2213
Hydor Inline 200w
ATC 300 Heater controller
Black gravel
(The light is temporary - 12W 6500k)

Flora:
Java Moss
Taiwan Moss
Marimos
Java Fern

Fauna:
Red Cherry Shrimp
A cheeky snail or two

My first shrimp tank was a good introduction to keeping them, but it wasn't that shrimp friendly. Easy for the shrimps to get into the back filters :/ The glass was a bit worn. I will be able to have much more control over things with this tank (I hope!). I want to scape it a bit, but still have the main priority on the shrimp's environment.

I saw this tank and really liked it, hopefully I can do something nice with it. Just plan on mosses and low light plants.

Here it is when I first got it. I am going to run it without the glass top - I can keep my temps lower but I will have to top off more.

I found this interesting piece of wood, but after soaking it for weeks, it ended up being removed as there were lots of holes in that produced white mold. I got it from the vivarium section, so maybe it was never going to work. Ah well!

Substrate in. Cleaned off some silicon and had given it a good clean. I am going to stick with this substrate as it's easy to build up. I want to get some height going to make use of all the tank, makes it more interesting?

I stuck some moss on the wood. I liked the look, little did I know it would end up in the bin!

Here it is in the tank. Just running the tiny filter that came with it. I swapped this out for an Eheim 2213 eventually. It's now cycled, I'm adding ammonia daily to keep it going. The light was pretty crappy, so that is getting replaced. I also got an inline heater, just to keep the tank as free from equipment as possible. I hooked up a temperature controller to that today, as insurance against it going wrong.

Before I threw the wood away, I salvaged some twigs...

And made a little feature.

Here it is in the tank.

(I need to get a better photo than this) This is how it looks today. I cut up a piece of driftwood and stuck it to a piece of slate, then stuck on some moss. I don't think it will stay where it is, but it will do for now. The light is temporary. I am waiting for a clip on to come from China. I'll get an appropriate CFL for it. I also wedged in something to cover the background.

It's been running for 2 months now. Am starting to see some biofilm. Just waiting to get a stand for it and for the shrimplets in the other tank to get a bit bigger before I move them.

I will add the tubes and moss from the other tank, and hide the intake better. So I expect the light scape I have done so far to change.

When moving the shrimps, I plan to get the temps of the tanks the same, put the shrimps in a bucket, remove water from new tank and put tank water from the old one in.

Thanks for looking

Last edited by deleted_user_17; 10-05-2012 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: title
deleted_user_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
Drift Monkey
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Yes, this setup is much cleaner than the other, nice job!

I really liked the first piece of driftwood you used...you should reconsider using it! The slimy white mold that builds up is typical of driftwood and nearly every piece will develop it after a period of time. It does go away though...and I've even seen my shrimp picking at it!
Drift Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #3
deleted_user_17
Planted Member

Thanks It's going to be very mossy I hope!

Ahh that piece of wood, I really like it too, but I spent weeks doing WCs with in a bucket before the tannins came out, then it just leached mold and that started to get everywhere.

It did calm down but still came out of some holes on the side and I got fed up with it and threw it away!!

I thought I was being patient with it, but maybe not!!
Old 09-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
Drift Monkey
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi_Pizza View Post
Thanks It's going to be very mossy I hope!

Ahh that piece of wood, I really like it too, but I spent weeks doing WCs with in a bucket before the tannins came out, then it just leached mold and that started to get everywhere.

It did calm down but still came out of some holes on the side and I got fed up with it and threw it away!!

I thought I was being patient with it, but maybe not!!
Maybe you could boil it? Might help. Either way...this is off to a great start!
Drift Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #5
deleted_user_17
Planted Member

I did boil it aswell

Thanks again. I'll be adding some more photos when this light finally turns up, and when I find a stand for it. I did order some Java Fern yesterday so I will plant them when they arrive.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #6
deleted_user_17
Planted Member

Well I finally moved the shrimp to their new home. I bought a unit for the tank to sit on that's at a good height for viewing and drilled holes in that so everything (filter, heater etc) could fit inside - I'm really pleased with how uncluttered it all is.

I'm still waiting for the light to turn up, so this lamp will be changed.

I lost an adult the day before I moved them :/ and I lost a juvenile about 2 days after I moved them over.

They have been in there about a week now and appear to be very happy. There are lots of places for them to graze and chill out.

The water is amazingly clear and the greens are super green. I'm planning on letting it grow out for a bit and will probably add a new moss at some point. I will maybe add something to the left-back corner to balance it a bit, but I'm not sure - I kinda like marimo moss corner, but it could do with some height.

I finally got to count how many shrimplets there were - 27. I still have two adult females, so all in all, 29 shrimp made it into the new tank. Hmm minus one juvenile means there are 28 in total now. Here they are in the bucket, while I move their water over and get things ready!

FTS. I'm really happy how this is looking. The plants are nice and green, the flow is good for the shrimp and there are a few different places for them to hang out. I sit and watch them for ages

Feeding bowl in, spinach time

As the tank was running for months before the shrimp went in, algae build up on the cholla wood...

24 hours later and they had eaten it all. Om nom!

Here are some more shots...

This photo makes me

Aww look, it's the special one! It still didn't grow like it's siblings. Always good to see him/her though

Thanks for looking
Old 10-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #7
FisheriesOmen
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi_Pizza View Post

What's that moss in the back-left part of the tank? It looks AMAZING.

Love your tank so far
The Fraternity of Dirt #97Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Emersed tUB clUB #17
FisheriesOmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (428/100%)

What a gorgeous little tank!

You've done a terrific job.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Looks great! As for the white mold that was growing on the DW, was it fuzzy like cotton? If so, that's safe for shrimp. In fact, they would have enjoyed eating that mold. As long as you boiled the wood, THEN the mold came out, it would have been safe!

Either way that new scape looks really nice !

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #10
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

What a cool tank... man that looks fab!
Old 10-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #11
deleted_user_17
Planted Member

Thanks for the kind comments guys, I'm really pleased with it. I don't think it would look anything like this if it wasn't for the forum, I've read and learnt so much here.

Fingers crossed that it stays green and that the shrimp thrive.

Diwu, it was kind of a white flat jelly. It started covering the wood where it was cut, then came out from the insect bore holes it had. Then it just started to get everywhere. I read up on it and I think it was just water mold, but as I didn't have anything in the tank to eat it, it was just going to spread.

I still have a tiny bit on the suckers that hold the spraybar and filter input, I think the shrimp will deal with that once they find it.

Cheers though, I will bear it in mind for the future
Old 10-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #12
deleted_user_17
Planted Member

There are just 3 largish marimo moss balls packed together and some much smaller ones stuffed in around them.

Thanks for your kind comment
Old 10-05-2012, 04:02 AM   #13
tinkerpuppet
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

I really liked your first tank, but love this one! What a great job!
tinkerpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #14
deleted_user_17
Planted Member

Thanks alot Tinkerpuppet, it worked out pretty good.

Good luck again with your tank re-sort
Old 10-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #15
microw
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

I like it, where can I get a cube like that?