planting bulb vs cfl help
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 05:20 AM   #1
Dugsul808
Planted Member
 
Dugsul808's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Honozulu, USA
Posts: 293
Default planting bulb vs cfl help

which of these two light bulbs would be better for carpeting dhg (dwarf hair grass) in my 3 gallon tank. i really dont know to much about lighting. really new to planted tanks.
plant blulb is 60w. the eco smart bulb is 14 watts, 5000k. and ill be using that light fixture that will be sitting right on top of my tank that is 9 inches from substrate to the light. any advice ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	53155  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	53156  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	53157  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	53158  


Last edited by Dugsul808; 08-29-2012 at 05:23 AM.. Reason: .
Dugsul808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:29 AM   #2
Gooberfish
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Gooberfish's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 321
Send a message via AIM to Gooberfish
Default

I would not use that Phillips plant light. I used it on some seeds and it only lasted me about 3-4 months being on about 12 hours a day.

The CFL will last WAY longer than the agro light. I'm very confident that the CFL you got will work but don't take my word for it, I'm sure somebody else can chime in on that
Gooberfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:31 AM   #3
Dugsul808
Planted Member
 
Dugsul808's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Honozulu, USA
Posts: 293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooberfish View Post
I would not use that Phillips plant light. I used it on some seeds and it only lasted me about 3-4 months being on about 12 hours a day.

The CFL will last WAY longer than the agro light. I'm very confident that the CFL you got will work but don't take my word for it, I'm sure somebody else can chime in on that
I was planning on getting the natural daylight light bulb but I had these laying around my house so I jut wanted to get an opinion. What's wrong with the Phillips bulb?
Dugsul808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:49 AM   #4
Gooberfish
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Gooberfish's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 321
Send a message via AIM to Gooberfish
Default

For me it just didn't last very long. It also gives off heat which will heat your tank water when it's on.

I also think the CFL will look better. It will for sure last longer. I'm no expert in light either but I am damn certain that the CFL will be the real winner.
Gooberfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:01 AM   #5
Dugsul808
Planted Member
 
Dugsul808's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Honozulu, USA
Posts: 293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooberfish View Post
For me it just didn't last very long. It also gives off heat which will heat your tank water when it's on.

I also think the CFL will look better. It will for sure last longer. I'm no expert in light either but I am damn certain that the CFL will be the real winner.
But your not sure if it will carpet my tank?
Dugsul808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:39 AM   #6
aweeby
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (37/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 993
Default

Are you doing a dry start? If so, then blast it with the highest wattage light. (but you need to try keep heat down somehow). If not, both are way too much for a 3g. I'd go w/ a 9w cfl. My high tech 5.5g has a regular 13w 6500K cfl (cost me 3$ at walmart) and that's just perfect. (i have crappy reflectors though.) If you need pics, the link is in my sig. I've been able to carpet HC in that tank. So yeah, you should def be able to get a carpet w/ something like that, assuming you have adequate NPK+trace coverage, (optimally) co2, etc etc.
__________________
aweeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:42 AM   #7
Dugsul808
Planted Member
 
Dugsul808's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Honozulu, USA
Posts: 293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweeby View Post
Are you doing a dry start? If so, then blast it with the highest wattage light. (but you need to try keep heat down somehow). If not, both are way too much for a 3g. I'd go w/ a 9w cfl. My high tech 5.5g has a regular 13w 6500K cfl (cost me 3$ at walmart) and that's just perfect. (i have crappy reflectors though.) If you need pics, the link is in my sig. I've been able to carpet HC in that tank. So yeah, you should def be able to get a carpet w/ something like that, assuming you have adequate NPK+trace coverage, (optimally) co2, etc etc.
Yes I'm doing a dry start. So should I try with a lower wattage or stick with 14?
Dugsul808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #8
aweeby
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (37/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 993
Default

For the dry start, you can do whatever. More is generally better, up until the point where the leaves start to get burned/dried out. During dry start of my tank, I had ~75w over the tank. When you flood, switch to something lower. You can use the 14w, but def raise it a couple inches above the surface somehow.
__________________
aweeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:46 AM   #9
Dugsul808
Planted Member
 
Dugsul808's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Honozulu, USA
Posts: 293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweeby View Post
For the dry start, you can do whatever. More is generally better, up until the point where the leaves start to get burned/dried out. During dry start of my tank, I had ~75w over the tank. When you flood, switch to something lower. You can use the 14w, but def raise it a couple inches above the surface somehow.
What will happen if I let it sit in the top of my tank?
Will it melt the Saran wrap?
Dugsul808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:06 AM   #10
aweeby
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (37/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 993
Default

1. if your tank is flooded, you'll prob. get algae if you don't raise it higher or reduce the wattage.

2. If the bulb touches, yes. But it's best to raise it some anyway, b/c you don't want to have the tips of the DHG to get burnt from the heat.
__________________
aweeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:14 AM   #11
Dugsul808
Planted Member
 
Dugsul808's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Honozulu, USA
Posts: 293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweeby View Post
1. if your tank is flooded, you'll prob. get algae if you don't raise it higher or reduce the wattage.

2. If the bulb touches, yes. But it's best to raise it some anyway, b/c you don't want to have the tips of the DHG to get burnt from the heat.
Raise it about how high above the tank?
Dugsul808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #12
aweeby
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (37/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 993
Default

When you submerse, i'd say at least 5-6" above the surface. For DSM, experiment. if the top of the tank is hot to the touch during photoperiod peak, then raise it some more. depends on the type of bulb you have, ambient temp in the room, length of photoperiod, toughness of the plants, etc.
__________________
aweeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #13
Dugsul808
Planted Member
 
Dugsul808's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Honozulu, USA
Posts: 293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweeby View Post
When you submerse, i'd say at least 5-6" above the surface. For DSM, experiment. if the top of the tank is hot to the touch during photoperiod peak, then raise it some more. depends on the type of bulb you have, ambient temp in the room, length of photoperiod, toughness of the plants, etc.
Okay man thanks for the help
Btw where did you say the links were?
Dugsul808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #14
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru
 
Hoppy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (75/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 18,863
Default

That 14 watt CFL bulb should be about 20 inches above the substrate to get 40 micromols of PAR, which is as much light as you need, with CO2 to grow the carpet. Any closer to the substrate and you will very likely have to fight off algae attacks.
__________________
Hoppy
Hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:31 AM   #15
Dugsul808
Planted Member
 
Dugsul808's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Honozulu, USA
Posts: 293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
That 14 watt CFL bulb should be about 20 inches above the substrate to get 40 micromols of PAR, which is as much light as you need, with CO2 to grow the carpet. Any closer to the substrate and you will very likely have to fight off algae attacks.
How do you calculate the par?
Dugsul808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lighting, plants

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012