Using Oil-Dri for cheap substrate?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 08-25-2012, 03:53 AM   #1
Zefrik
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Using Oil-Dri for cheap substrate?

I am going to set up a couple very low-tech 10 gallons in my basement to hold some extra plants and I was looking for a cheap substrate. I want to try something different though for these tanks. I have heard that kitty litter works well, but is there a difference between that and Oil-Dri?

I also need to add some to my emersed tank so it is not just mud sitting in the open.
Zefrik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 04:14 AM   #2
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

The best of the Oil Dri sorts of products is Safe T Sorb. So far I have only found it available at Tractor Supply.

Kitty Litter may work for some, but different kinds may fall apart, cloud the water and so on.

The Oil Dri products are better, do some more research. Many are white or off white. That is not much of an issue in a grow out tank, but if you move those plants to a tank with different substrate and some of the Oil Dri sticks to the roots the whiter material of most Oil Dri products would not work too well.

Safe T Sorb seems the best of them all. Pretty good color too.

A related material is used in sports fields, and may be cheaper if you are not near a Tractor Supply. For me it is about twice the price, but the saving in gas makes it half the price of going to Tractor Supply. It is sold at irrigation stores like Ewing or John Deere. It is called Turface Pro League. It comes in several colors. The redder one is too red, but the other colors are fairly subtle. I started using Soil Master Select, Charcoal and it works pretty well, and I like the color. Unfortunately SMS is not available any more. Turface is about the same, though.

All of these materials are relatively lightweight, so some plants might need a rock on them to hold them down until they root.
They are all high cationic exchange capacity.
Turface and SMS will remove the carbonates from the water. I have stopped that with coral sand, mixing something like 50% Turface with 50% coral sand. I use that for a Lake Tanganyika tank. You could also mix in oyster shell grit (sold for caged birds like Budgies) or limestone sand or very fine gravel.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 05:50 AM   #3
sowNreap
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
[snipped] .......
Turface and SMS will remove the carbonates from the water. I have stopped that with coral sand, mixing something like 50% Turface with 50% coral sand. I use that for a Lake Tanganyika tank. You could also mix in oyster shell grit (sold for caged birds like Budgies) or limestone sand or very fine gravel.
I'm getting ready to change the substrate in my 75 gal to the Safe-T-Sorb which I think will remove carbonates also. ??? I thought I read soaking it first would help that problem ... does it? I soaked it for several weeks.

I had already bought some oyster shell grit in anticipation but now thinking if the soaking doesn't help much that it's no where near enough since you're using 50/50 mix Turface/coral sand. I wasn't planning on mixing it but rather putting it in my filters. Is that even going to work as it sounds like it requires way more than I'll have room for. I've got a test kit coming but right now have no idea what my kh or gh is. So I guess I'll just have to wait for the kit, do some testing and go from there.
sowNreap is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 04:47 AM   #4
Trickerie
Nerd

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Trickerie

Look no further

http://www.drillspot.com/products/14...bsorbant_40_lb

$10, free shipping. How does he do it!
Trickerie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 06:37 AM   #5
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickerie View Post
Look no further

Holy smoke free shipping?!?
SpecGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
BlueSlurpee
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickerie View Post
Look no further

Wow, great find! Thank you so much for sharing.

75G
- Black Moor, Calico Oranda, Red Ranchu & Misgurnus anguillicaudatus
- C. wendtii, Vallisneria americana & Taxiphyllum sp v. "flame"

20G
- Hemigrammus erythrozonus & Caridina japonica
- Microsorum pteropus, Anubias bartieri & Taxiphyllum barbieri
BlueSlurpee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 05:22 AM   #7
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

WOW! That is great! I know it is cheaper at TS, but TS is not anywhere near me. To get it for just $10 would be wonderful!
Old 08-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #8
Trickerie
Nerd

Yep. It's the real deal, I used this same bag in my 25g and have a ton left over. It's WAY less dusty than oil dri and looks much better.

The carbonate absorption goes away after a little while, but it depends on how much you use. Personally, I use gh booster every water change so it's not a big deal
Old 08-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Carbonate and GH is not the same.

I have used SMS and Turface that remove KH but leave the GH alone. I assume the other clays will behave similarly, but an actual test run is the only way to know for sure.

I have coral sand and oyster shell grit in the filters of some tanks, and it is not enough to offset the removal of carbonates by the SMS.

Soaking in liquid rock might help. So much carbonates the material gets saturated. Cannot remove any more from the water. That eventually happened with some of the SMS that I kept adding baking soda to.

Safe T Sorb ordered!
Old 08-26-2012, 02:12 AM   #10
Trickerie
Nerd

Yeah, my mistake. Ive always thought it was CaCO3 in the GH booster, not CaSO4 :|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Carbonate and GH is not the same.

I have used SMS and Turface that remove KH but leave the GH alone. I assume the other clays will behave similarly, but an actual test run is the only way to know for sure.

I have coral sand and oyster shell grit in the filters of some tanks, and it is not enough to offset the removal of carbonates by the SMS.

Soaking in liquid rock might help. So much carbonates the material gets saturated. Cannot remove any more from the water. That eventually happened with some of the SMS that I kept adding baking soda to.

Safe T Sorb ordered!
Old 08-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #11
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)

SafeTSorb #7941 in 10 gallon grow-out tank

Seattle_Aquarist is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 06:03 PM   #12
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

I like the color and mixed sizes as shown in the picture posted by Roy. I hope my tank will look as nice!
Old 08-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #13
sowNreap
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@ diana .. what is liquid rock?

I really should have "pre-charged" the STS when I was soaking it but the long soak wasn't really intentional. Just had too many other things going on to deal with it. And I was using the copious amounts of rainfall to help clean it.

So hopefully between the oyster shell grit and baking soda I keep the Kh up. Guess I'll find out.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:55 AM   #14
aztx
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowNreap View Post
@ diana .. what is liquid rock?
"Liquid rock" is a term used by many to describe water that is extremely hard and alkaline. The water in my area, for instance, has an EXTREMELY high carbonate content (and mineral content in general), so it's often referred to as "liquid rock".
aztx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 10:25 PM   #15
sowNreap
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztx View Post
"Liquid rock" is a term used by many to describe water that is extremely hard and alkaline. The water in my area, for instance, has an EXTREMELY high carbonate content (and mineral content in general), so it's often referred to as "liquid rock".
Oh ok.. thanks. I thought it was something I could buy to soak my STS in. LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.