Need help with BBA
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 08-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
RainSong
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
Default Need help with BBA

Hi:

Sorry about this longish post ...

I need help with my tank overrun with BBA.

90 gallon heavily planted tank that has been running for 1 year now. It is quite heavily stocked. I run pressurized CO2 and the drop checker is green-yellow. EI dosing with 50% weekly wc. Two Eheim cannister filters 2215/2217. 78F. This is a 24" tall tank and I have an Odyssea 4x54W fixture and a 2x39W fixture that sit on top of the tank. Light runs 1.5 hours in the morning and 7 hours in the evening.

I have been plagued with BBA (only recently identified as BBA) for a while now. Here is my current course of action:

- Cut lighting. I have shut off 2 of the 4x54W bulbs.
- Started using Flourish Excel per Seachem recommended dosage. However, this is quite expensive for a 90 gallon and I would like this to not be a permanent thing.
- I have two Hydor Koralia powerheads that normally provide plenty of circulation (I cannot keep any floating plants!) and surface ripple. However, one of them is out of commission temporarily. I lost a spacer down the sink when cleaning it and Hydor is sending me a replacement.

The bba started when I was using all my lights and was too scared to bump up the CO2. I feel that the cause may have been addressed. I am wondering how to get my tank to a good starting point.

I have read the recommendations about spot treatments and trimming. However, the bba is very widespread and spot treatment is daunting ... where do I start? Also, trimming may not work since most of the bba is in the mid to lower levels. I would end up taking out whole plants.

My plants ... Ludwigia, Rotalla, Anubias, Java Fern, Amazon sword, Crypt Wendti, Cabomba, Elodea, stargrass

Fish ... rainbowfish, harlequin rasbora, rummynose tetra, gold barbs, julii cory, roseline sharks, bnp.
RainSong is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
herns
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (236/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainSong View Post
Hi:

Sorry about this longish post ...

I need help with my tank overrun with BBA.

90 gallon heavily planted tank that has been running for 1 year now. It is quite heavily stocked. I run pressurized CO2 and the drop checker is green-yellow. EI dosing with 50% weekly wc. Two Eheim cannister filters 2215/2217. 78F. This is a 24" tall tank and I have an Odyssea 4x54W fixture and a 2x39W fixture that sit on top of the tank. Light runs 1.5 hours in the morning and 7 hours in the evening.

I have been plagued with BBA (only recently identified as BBA) for a while now. Here is my current course of action:

- Cut lighting. I have shut off 2 of the 4x54W bulbs.
- Started using Flourish Excel per Seachem recommended dosage. However, this is quite expensive for a 90 gallon and I would like this to not be a permanent thing.
- I have two Hydor Koralia powerheads that normally provide plenty of circulation (I cannot keep any floating plants!) and surface ripple. However, one of them is out of commission temporarily. I lost a spacer down the sink when cleaning it and Hydor is sending me a replacement.

The bba started when I was using all my lights and was too scared to bump up the CO2. I feel that the cause may have been addressed. I am wondering how to get my tank to a good starting point.

I have read the recommendations about spot treatments and trimming. However, the bba is very widespread and spot treatment is daunting ... where do I start? Also, trimming may not work since most of the bba is in the mid to lower levels. I would end up taking out whole plants.

My plants ... Ludwigia, Rotalla, Anubias, Java Fern, Amazon sword, Crypt Wendti, Cabomba, Elodea, stargrass

Fish ... rainbowfish, harlequin rasbora, rummynose tetra, gold barbs, julii cory, roseline sharks, bnp.

BBA like to grow when CO2 is low. Ive been experiencing this many times.
Get a CO2 indicator, crank up CO2 and watch your dosing.
herns is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
RainSong
Planted Member

If BBA stops growing, do I still need to remove what is currently in the tank? Since it is so widespread, what is the best approach to this?

Thanks
Old 08-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
herns
Planted Tank Guru

You can spot treat the remaining BBA with Excel, Hyrogen Peroxide or Metricide 14. The best time to do this is when you do water change where BBA is exposed out of water. Squirt excel directly to BBA and leave for few minutes. Add water back to your tank. In few days you will see BBA will start turn to purple/ red, dying.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
RainSong
Planted Member

Thank you!
Old 08-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
herns
Planted Tank Guru

No problem.
Come back on this thread when you have successfully got rid of BBA. We'd like to know result.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
reiben
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

There is still too much light. My sugestions:
1) Scrub as much algae as you can.
2) Lower the light - 2x54W will be enough. No need to use extra 2x39W.
3) Improve water circulation and increase CO2 levels. Excel will help too.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
RainSong
Planted Member

Thanks reiben. I will cut back on my lighting. The problem with shutting off the 2x39W is that it creates some dark areas in the back of the tank and all the plants start bending forward towards the other fixture.

Is there a way to diffuse light so that it is more even?
Old 08-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
herns
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainSong View Post
Is there a way to diffuse light so that it is more even?
Ive read a thread last year where mesh is used to cover the top of the tank to diffuse a very high light. There are wide variety of mesh available you can use.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #10
reiben
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

You can lift your bulbs up.
Some dark areas shouldn't be a big problem though. You can turn lights on after the situation will be under control.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
RainSong
Planted Member

Good call herns, I will go out and get one of these from Home Depot and cut it to size ...

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UC_TNqmPUUo

Lifting the light is really not an option since I have a DIY wood canopy over the tank.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:56 PM   #12
herns
Planted Tank Guru

Here is a similar thread that Im talking about. They use egg crate.
See Post #7.

http://www.aquariumforum.com/f15/why...eir-13367.html

Tags
bba algae

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.