What is all over my tank =/
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 08-06-2012, 04:36 AM   #1
sarahbear1214
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default What is all over my tank =/

So I set up my tank about a week ago and i thought it was just some substrate and that the filter would take care of it but it is everywhere....its on the plants rocks and gravel. I do have the little snails that were on the plants in the tank could that be it? If not what is it and how do i get rid of it?

sarahbear1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

Appears to be diatoms (along with some other random detritus) and are common with new aquarium setups. Goes away on its own as your tank matures. Check out the algae sub-forum for tons of posts like this.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
PRSRocker3390
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)

Diatom outbreaks are common in new tanks. If you are adding any fish to the tank anytime soon, otocinclus catfish are your best friend. They love diatom algae. Otherwise the diatoms should die down in time. But definitely check out the algae sub-forum like it was mentioned above.
Algae Supporter #1 (BBA) - Rena Filstar #150 (XP3/XP2)
PRSRocker3390 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
philemon716
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

You'll need to make sure your tank is cycled before dropping in the oto. They are extremely sensitive to uncycled environments (in my experience).
philemon716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
jamesbaptista
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philemon716 View Post
You'll need to make sure your tank is cycled before dropping in the oto. They are extremely sensitive to uncycled environments (in my experience).
Aren't the diatoms usually present in the final stages of cycling? Seems like waiting for the tank to finish cycling would somewhat eliminate the need for the oto in the first place.

On another note, I added four of them to my two week planted tank and they seem to be loving it... haven't checked my levels recently though.
jamesbaptista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbaptista View Post
Aren't the diatoms usually present in the final stages of cycling? Seems like waiting for the tank to finish cycling would somewhat eliminate the need for the oto in the first place.
While diatoms commonly appear around the same time in which a tank normally nears the end of the cycling period, the occurrence of the diatoms is merely coincidence and not caused by the tank cycling.

Cycling, as you know, has to do with the tank building up sufficient bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrite and then nitrite to nitrate.

Diatoms appear due to silica in the water. For some reason, new tanks (or older tanks that have been cleaned and restarted) have issues with excess silica in the first month or two after being started. This resolves itself naturally without any intervention.

In some cases, a tank can be jump started to cycle quickly. For example, I moved a large canister over from my 90g cycled tank to my newly restarted 75g tank. That brought over enough bacteria to instantly cycle my 75g tank. However, I still got diatoms in the 75g a few weeks later which eventually went away a month or so after that.

So while the two events tend to occur around the same time, one does not cause the other. They are both caused by the tank being new.
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g - Journal Retired
Complexity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
accordztech
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Diatoms also appear when there is high light. Wait it out and see.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)

I saved this article from awhile back. Although it is written for saltwater tanks, the basics apply to all tanks in general.

The Dreaded Diatom Bloom: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=60144
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g - Journal Retired
Complexity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #9
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

My otos would eat that stuff up like it was candy! My bloom wasn't the initial setup bloom but I guess it was lighting. Otos destroyed it
pandamonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #10
sarahbear1214
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thank you for all the replies sorry i was busy and hadnt been able to check after i posted. I am still having the problem and its all over my plants and i think it maybe is causing some to die by blocking light? Also could it have been in my soil because i noticed it about two days after i set up my tank and planted. Finally i would need to test my water again to see where it is in the cycling proccess but would adding a big snail or some shrimp help or are they more sensative? When i was at petsmart the other day i noticed the exact same looking stuff on the plants in there plant tank so maybe that is where i got it? Thanks for all the advice
sarahbear1214 is offline   Reply With Quote