Rocky bottom cleaners
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 07-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
zankotsu
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Default Rocky bottom cleaners

Hi friends.
My substrate consists of larger river pebbles, about 1cm wide on average. Which fish would do well cleaning these rocks without damaging their faces? Would a snail or some shrimp be better, or are these pebbles too large for shrimpies?

Thank you~ I'm working on getting some decent photos.
zankotsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
Snowflake311
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

If they are smooth rocks no shape sides like real river rocks I would say a Bn Pleco. They love hiding in rocks and cleaning them.

How big is the tank. What kind of water flow does it have a strong current? What temp? A hills team loach could be a good choice depending on the temp of the tank. Depending on size a group of Garra could be good they come from rocky areas.

You can't go wrong with snails.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
LB79
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Kuhli loaches are great for pebbly substrates.

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:48 PM   #4
Snowflake311
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB79 View Post
Kuhli loaches are great for pebbly substrates.
I thought kuhli loach like to dig in sand?
Old 07-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
LB79
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake311 View Post
I thought kuhli loach like to dig in sand?
Yeah, they like it, but hiding in pebbles is just as fun. Plus, they'll be able to eat the morsels that the other fish might miss.

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:27 AM   #6
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

what about those sucker type loaches like butterfly loaches?
if you want something more traditional though, I would go with a combination of ottos, snails, and some sort of shrimp

I like my cherries and my amano shrimp, mine even eat BBA (and I am soooooo happy for that...if I have a small plant that is covered in BBA i throw it into my shrimp tank and it is spotless in about 2 days)

As far as snails, I'm in love with nerites and mystery snails. My nerites are amazing algae eaters, and I just like how mysterys look and how I can use them in my larger tank with cichlids (though if I can get like 25+ nerites I'd try them in that tank as well, just to see what would happen)
HybridHerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:18 AM   #7
zankotsu
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

I think my tank is a little warm for a fast-stream loach, but they do look pretty neat. I'm considering a couple of Yoyo loaches and a few Amano shrimp once I get more plant action happening.

I can only choose between the Petco in town and the LFS, which has black hairy algae on their false plants D: Between you and me, would you recommend ordering fish online?
zankotsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zankotsu View Post
I think my tank is a little warm for a fast-stream loach, but they do look pretty neat. I'm considering a couple of Yoyo loaches and a few Amano shrimp once I get more plant action happening.

I can only choose between the Petco in town and the LFS, which has black hairy algae on their false plants D: Between you and me, would you recommend ordering fish online?
Doesn't have to be between you and me, but I'll say this. Up until my joining these forums a few months ago, I had never bought anything live over the internet. I find it completely superior to buy plants online due to better selection and quality. As far as buying fish are concerned, I have yet to buy fish online, HOWEVER, for the nano tank I have in the works, I figure that in order for me to get the fish I want I will have to order online, and I am okay with this. Sure, shipping will cost a bit but I figure that I'd rather spend a little more money to ensure that I get what I want, instead of being at the mercery of what is or is not available in the lfs I can bother going to.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #9
Shanster
Algae Grower

Send a message via Skype™ to Shanster

Hybridherb - I am so glad you said you keep the nerite snails with your cichlids. I have been constantly checking out these snails, but I was concerned the cichlids would destroy them. I will certainly be getting some of them in my tanks!
Shanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

wait wait wait, you misread me
I keep mystery snails with my cichlids, you can look in my 75 gallon journal
I want to try nerites though, but as of yet it is untested lol.
Don't forget either that cichlids can be individuals. My geophagus kept trying to eat the mystery snails for 3 days, then when he kept failing he just stopped caring about their existence and let me add as many of them as I want

what kind of cichlids are you looking at btw?
Old 07-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #11
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Hillstream loaches and freshwater gobie (Stiphodon) would work.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote