College Station Area Water info?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Texas

Old 07-22-2012, 06:30 AM   #1
whatswithgravity
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default College Station Area Water info?

I'm moving my tank down this year after letting my family ruin it last year when I didn't want to deal with it in the dorm. However I'm worried about water quality as the water down there tastes like dirt.

So if anyone is keeping a tank in or around College Station/Bryan (I'm not sure exactly what areas share water supply down there) and has water parameters I'd be grateful for some preemptive info.
whatswithgravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
Gplus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Every town or city must post a yearly water report. They are easily dug up with a quick search on google.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
whatswithgravity
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplus View Post
Every town or city must post a yearly water report. They are easily dug up with a quick search on google.
I tried google first but I could only find to 2010 and it was a bit confusing.

Quote:
i've only seen one other person on here that lives in CS. i don't remember what his parameters are, but i think i he posted in one of the sports threads, if you feel like searching i'm sure you can find him.
Thanks I'll try searching.
whatswithgravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #4
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (10/100%)

the water tastes bad because they had an aresnic problem in the water supply twenty years or so ago (maybe longer). i've only seen one other person on here that lives in CS. i don't remember what his parameters are, but i think i he posted in one of the sports threads, if you feel like searching i'm sure you can find him.

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
h2oaggie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

I just moved from Bryan/College Station a month ago. I used exclusively tap water in my planted tank, only adding a little bit of GH booster and Prime. Overall, KH is extremely high and GH is very low. Water is great for a South American tank.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
h2oaggie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

Bryan posts a new water report every 2-4 years I believe.

Here is 2011.

http://www.bryantx.gov/departments/?name=water
Old 07-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

I went over and looked at the last report from 2011. There will be another required each year by federal regs. I find nothing obvious to worry about. You may want a water softener but that is pretty normal. High PH (8.5) with lots of limestone for buffering. No contaminants measured. The rest is just pretty normal stuff for underground water. No signs of any type unusually pollution to worry about. It has pretty much the standard warnings about running the water to clear it of copper or lead if you have pipes of that but that is in almost all the required reports. Almost a PYA response whether it is an actual hazard or not.
Whether it will work well for your fish and plants will depend on what you like and do.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #8
RyUGuy
Algae Grower

Yeah my tap water is 8.5 ph. When I first moved down here from Tyler last year I was not concerned because I never had to deal with crappy water before. The plants I moved down here died pretty much instantly, it was weird I could literally sit there and watch them turn brown . That's when I checked the water chemistry and realized it would not be as easy as I had it. I use ph down and get it around 7.4-7.5
RyUGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2012, 05:41 AM   #9
J_Douglas
Algae Grower

There is a local club, Brazos Valley Aquraium Society, they have a facebook page. I do not know when they meet.
J_Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #10
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

I find PH to be a truly overhyped item when it comes to keeping a tank and fish. It varies so much and is so highly talked that it is often used as a reason when there are other things involved which are just as important. I find my tap water PH is above 8 but on fish only tanks, the PH will settle out at 7.4-7.6. When I add plants and CO2 I gradually worked the PH down to running now at 6.5-6.6. If the move is done gradually and the fish learn to deal with it, I find I don't need to worry about the PH. It's all a balancing act and PH is just one small piece of the puzzle.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
bpb
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've lived here a while, and our water does present alot of challenges. The incredibly high TDS really helps algae flourish. I've been keeping tanks on our local tap for years but recently have switched to about 3/4 RODI when I do water changes weekly now. It took a long time of no water changes for my algae issues to subside. Now with my new water change style it hasn't really come back. Not alot of places can say their tap water has more junk in it than old tank water!
bpb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #12
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

Based on your water report, the water looks good. 563ppm TDS is not "incredibly" high by any stretch of the imagination. If you are keeping extremely sensitive shrimp, you might need to use RO, but that's pretty much a given.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #13
c_gwinner
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)

I've had 2 tanks up and running since February and haven't had any issues with the water here. Use tap water for my 20g at home and R/O water for my 2.5 at work. The TDS is high along with KH and pH. My pH dropped slowly without adding anything to it and sitting around 7.8 area. I know its still high for what some people want to do but my RCS love it. Even had some bee shrimp for a while till my fish thought they would make a good snack. Plants all do pretty well, i think most of their issues are from me not having a very green thumb.

Canon Pimp Club #094
c_gwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #14
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

WOW, I am surprised to see yall B/CS folks with hard water reports! My Sister and her Family have lived there since 94 when she started College at A&M as a freshman. I always thought they had VERY SOFT WATER!!! At least it feels like it when you shower or wash your hands! A TINY Drop of soap will take FOR EVER to wash off! Heck you feel like you have soaped up while showering even before you put soap on!!! She started on campus, to apartments, bought a home in Bryan, now is in outer College Station, and water has always been the same!

I am really surprised to say the least!

Either way BEST of Luck with Yalls Plants and Fish!
Drew
BoxxerBoyDrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #15
c_gwinner
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)

The water is very weird to say the least. The water does seem soft when showering or trying to rinse the soap off. I thinks its gotten harder over the years but not real sure. Have lived in College Station since 2003 my freshman year. Had a betta tank in the dorm room and haven't really had a tank since till this year.

Canon Pimp Club #094
c_gwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.