dip for algae on my plants?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 07-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
mindy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default dip for algae on my plants?

i have bba on my plants i am planning to overhaul the whole tank soon and i was hoping to salvage most of my plants because i really like them. is there anything i can do to get it off?

i am planning to pull out the plants and then rub off whatever i can - it comes off pretty easily. can i put anything on the plants and then rinse before i put them back in?

(i have a 66 gallon tank, two 54 watt bulbs on for 3, off for 6, and then on for 3 again, an eheim 2215, and a koralia 750 on the tank. i dose 5 mL of excel every day and flourish once a week with ferts under the play sand substrate. i recently had a bad green water problem but got that completely cleared up. but i still have the bba)
mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
Joraa—
"TirŤd~about to RetirŽ "

PTrader: (338/100%)

H2O2...treat....with syringe. Target to spray around 180 ml in a single dose. No water movement and let it say for 20-30 minutes. Do large water change. 60-80%. Removal all BBA whatever you can while syphoning water. Give a day or 2 and repeat the same process...3-4 treatment will take care of the algae: Increase Excel to 10 ml after treatment.
Joraa— is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
mindy
Wannabe Guru

thank you.

can i do that with the plants out of my tank? i am planning to change everything around anyway. i want to change the hardscape and i have to take everything out to do that.

maybe i can take the plants out and rub off whatever algae i can and then use some peroxide? (can i just use whatever i can get at the pharmacy or does it have to be a specific kind?)
Old 07-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
Joraa—
"TirŤd~about to RetirŽ "

PTrader: (338/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy View Post
thank you.

can i do that with the plants out of my tank? i am planning to change everything around anyway. i want to change the hardscape and i have to take everything out to do that.

maybe i can take the plants out and rub off whatever algae i can and then use some peroxide? (can i just use whatever i can get at the pharmacy or does it have to be a specific kind?)
Yes you can get it H2O2 in any Pharmacy. 3% solution. If you want to take Everything out then: use treatment first...and takeout...this way will weaken algae and easy to remove outside of tank...Also this will give you overall treatment of tank rather than spot treatment...
Joraa— is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

I had an blow-up of BGA in my outdoor emersed tank. Since it's a tear-down / re-scape. I would suggest a few methods that worked for me.

In all cases phyicicaly wipe/remove as much as you can. depending on the plant you can swish in a bucket of tank water or up in a jar and shake. Heavy nodyy plant like crypts could be rinsed under cool tap water too.

Method #1 - H2O2 in a spray bottle. Soak the plant 1-2min dwell time more delicate = less time. Them dip in clean cool water.

Method #2 - Small plants Water lettuce babies, DHG, HC etc. Put the H2O2 in a quart jar enough to cover the plants, shake, rinse, place plants in cool water.

The spray bottle works well on driftwood, rocks, glass etc. too.

i also spot treat with a bovine shringe I got at a Farm Supply store. But, it's less effective that a spray or dip. However, safer if you watch your dosing.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=146403

Last edited by DogFish; 07-17-2012 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: + Link
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #6
mindy
Wannabe Guru

thanks for the help!

i think i will do the spray method.

i am planning to take everything but the substrate out because i am making a rock structure i am putting in there and i will have to move all my plants anyway. i really hope that my plants survive this!