First Time doing it the right way...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
TheNamelessPoet
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default First Time doing it the right way...

Ok so I am going to be setting up my tank next week once I get my new filter. Here are the specs.

29 Gallon (30 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 18 3/4)
Nova Extreme T5-HO Freshwater Light Fixture - 2 x 24 W - 30"
1 perfect piece of Driftwood
Tetra Whisper Power Filter 40
Fluval EDGE pre-filter sponge

This is what I have now for my co2 setup...
Milwaukee Regulator with bubble counter
5# CO2 Aluminum Tank
And I am leaning towards a Rex Riggs Reactor (easy to build and inexpensive to make)

My goals and idea's

Eventuay everything will be moved to a 55 gallon tank in 8-12 months but I want to start now of course.

Substrate I am having some trouble choosing and could DESPERATLY use the help. I am going to have a HEAVILY planted tank and be dosing some type of EI or PPS-Pro I just havent worked the exact kinks out yet. This is going to be a shrimp tank, Neo's maybe RCS or Pumpkin (leaning towards RCS.)

Here is my Plant "Wish list" HC will absolutly be my "carpet". Since I first came across it I have fallen in love with it and I have wanted to do a carpet for years. With shrimp I think its a great idea. Ok Here is the list

HC (Dwarf baby tears) (goggle image search for the image)
Anubias barteri
Wheeping Moss
And some type of Sword I am just not sure what. Probably Java or something of that nature.

Last edited by TheNamelessPoet; 07-15-2012 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: Updating Setup
TheNamelessPoet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
TheNamelessPoet
Planted Member

The filter should be fine with the sponge on the intake correct?

I will be filling the tank this weekend and will have the filter by mid-week. I know I dont have the substrate yet but I want to get the wood soaking to be sure it will sink. Also in case there are a lit of tannns in it I would like to try and leach them out.

I looked (and I am not exaggerating) at over 700 pieces online before I found this one. The top section and the section coming towards you will be covered in the weeping moss, which I plan on using fishing line to attach unless regular old superglue can be used (tho that makes me nervous).
nervous).

Last edited by TheNamelessPoet; 07-13-2012 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: ADDITIONAL INFO
Old 07-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
FriendsNotFood
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

People are going to want to know what you plan on doing for CO2?
FriendsNotFood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
TheNamelessPoet
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendsNotFood View Post
People are going to want to know what you plan on doing for CO2?
Oh i forgot to put that in lol. Ill add when i get home. Its iirc Milwaukee regulator with solinoid and a 5# co2 tank. I used it a few years ago in my 20 gallon tank. I just need a new hose and checkvalve. Also i have a glass diffuser.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
livingword26
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think the Whisper Power filter is going to be quite undersized for a high light co2 injected 29 gallon. What would be ideal, would be to run 2 cannisters on your 55. You could start 1 of them on the 29, then you would have a cycled filter when you moved over to the 55.
29 gallon, Fluval 306. Aquatop PF25-UV Power Filter, 1x39 watt T5HO 7" above tank. P.F. Sand, Pressurized CO2, 5 Glowlight Tetra's, 3 Halequin Rasborah's, 3 neons, 2 Oto's, 5 Cherry Shrimp, 4 Amano Shrimp.
livingword26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
TheNamelessPoet
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingword26 View Post
I think the Whisper Power filter is going to be quite undersized for a high light co2 injected 29 gallon. What would be ideal, would be to run 2 cannisters on your 55. You could start 1 of them on the 29, then you would have a cycled filter when you moved over to the 55.
That might not be a bad idea. I am strapped for cash atm but I think I may ask my gf for aquarium stuff for our anniversary in october so that would get it started :-p

[edit]
Also I was just thinking... I can get the HOB to start (since I already have it) and cycle the tank. Then get 2-3 otto's and a couple snails to keep it going and add the canister filter and get that seeded then eventualy remove the hob to try and convince my g/f on a 3rd tank :-P
5# CO2 Aluminum Tank
And I am leaning towards a Rex Riggs Reactor (easy to build and inexpensive to make)

Old 07-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
livingword26
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNamelessPoet View Post
Also I was just thinking... I can get the HOB to start (since I already have it) and cycle the tank. Then get 2-3 otto's and a couple snails to keep it going and add the canister filter and get that seeded then eventualy remove the hob to try and convince my g/f on a 3rd tank :-P
5# CO2 Aluminum Tank
Sounds like a good plan. The otto's are pretty sensative. You need to be darn sure your tank is cycled and there is plenty for the otto's to eat.
29 gallon, Fluval 306. Aquatop PF25-UV Power Filter, 1x39 watt T5HO 7" above tank. P.F. Sand, Pressurized CO2, 5 Glowlight Tetra's, 3 Halequin Rasborah's, 3 neons, 2 Oto's, 5 Cherry Shrimp, 4 Amano Shrimp.
livingword26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
TheNamelessPoet
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingword26 View Post
Sounds like a good plan. The otto's are pretty sensative. You need to be darn sure your tank is cycled and there is plenty for the otto's to eat.
I have had good luck with them before until my Creyfish at them all lol. Oh sure the fish store said, they are fast enoughm they can get away... 15 minutes in my tank he had one in his claws.

As for cycling, will snails help cycle it or no? I am leaving for vacation in 10 days and I dont want to have to wait almost 3 weeks to start cycling it. I mean hey ya gotta do what ya gotta do but you know... patience isnt my best virtue

Old 07-16-2012, 02:35 AM   #9
TheNamelessPoet
Planted Member

So the driftwood floats bigtime lol. So i am going to let it soak for 2 week i guess.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #10
TheNamelessPoet
Planted Member

driftwood picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-06_21.05.31.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	50906  

Last edited by TheNamelessPoet; 07-15-2012 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: removing ice cream addig driftwood
Old 07-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #11
dthb4438
Shrimp fanatic

PTrader: (67/100%)

Hey Braves fan - I was trying to send you a PM (message) about being a Braves fan but I don't think that you made that option. I am a huge Braves fan also! So will you be sad when Chipper Jones retires? He's kind of gimpy now.

Will be a nice tank when you get it filled out. I have some Narrow leaft Java fern if you want to put any of that on the wood. It would look nice. All I ask is for $ shipping. Let me know.
dthb4438 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 07:42 PM   #12
flowerfishs
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (45/98%)

nice driftwood!
flowerfishs is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #13
togified
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

might want to boil the driftwood once it sink befor oyu do anything else to the tank.

Its going to grow some white fungus. which can be food for shrimp and oto. but looks really ugly.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:49 PM   #14
TheNamelessPoet
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthb4438 View Post
Hey Braves fan - I was trying to send you a PM (message) about being a Braves fan but I don't think that you made that option. I am a huge Braves fan also! So will you be sad when Chipper Jones retires? He's kind of gimpy now.

Will be a nice tank when you get it filled out. I have some Narrow leaft Java fern if you want to put any of that on the wood. It would look nice. All I ask is for $ shipping. Let me know.
I am going to go to the HOF when he gets inducted :-P I am only abut 3 hours away so I go every year the last week of march with my grandfather. I am DEF going to miss him but with all the injuries the last few years its not going to be quite as hard as It would have been had he played 150+ games a season the last 5 :-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerfishs View Post
nice driftwood!
TY I literaly looked at 700 + pieces before I decide don that one. I really like it a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by togified View Post
might want to boil the driftwood once it sink befor oyu do anything else to the tank.

Its going to grow some white fungus. which can be food for shrimp and oto. but looks really ugly.
unfortunatly I have no way to boil it or I DEF would have. I figure its going to take 6 months or so to look really the way I want so I dont mind TOO much if its kind of eh for a few months

Old 08-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #15
TheNamelessPoet
Planted Member

So Quick Update
Driftwood STILL isnt sinking but It sure feels more waterlogged... I have a feeling it was sittint out of the water for a LOOOONG time. I am going to order my substrate next week.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.