Marineland 27 gallon cube Planted Tank Planning
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 06-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
spidernids
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Marineland 27 gallon cube Planted Tank Planning

I am saving up to purchase the 27 gallon cube ensemble . I want it to be a low light non CO2 planted tank (the Tom Barr approach). The tank comes with the double bright LED light unit (450 Lumen). Will this be good enough to grow plants? I'm trying to see if I will have to save to add another LED unit.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...731&lmdn=Shape

Thanks,
Frank

Last edited by spidernids; 07-02-2012 at 01:04 AM..
spidernids is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
Zefrik
Wannabe Guru

From what I have heard, the light doesn't give good coverage for the whole tank. It might be more bright in the middle and dark in the back. I could be wrong but if it where me I would look into getting another double bright to use with the one that comes with.
Zefrik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2012, 11:33 PM   #3
spidernids
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefrik View Post
From what I have heard, the light doesn't give good coverage for the whole tank. It might be more bright in the middle and dark in the back. I could be wrong but if it where me I would look into getting another double bright to use with the one that comes with.
Would two double brights be enough light for moderate light plants or just low light?
Old 07-02-2012, 01:03 AM   #4
spidernids
Algae Grower

Ok, so I pulled the trigger and bout the 27 gallon cube . Petsmart had it on sale 70 bucks off. Convinced the wife I should get it now and save money .

So, It comes with the Marineland DoubleBright LED light. 6W, 6000K, 450 Lum. From reading, I don't think the 1-2 W/gal rule applies to LEDs ??? From what I could find out, 0.8 - 1 W/gal is needed for LEDs.

Maybe it is better to look at lumins or maybe lux?

So, looking at a second LED unit...

1) Double-bright, $65, only gives 12 W total, budget friendly

2) Marineland Reef Capable, $145, 18W, 10000K, 1305 Lum

3) Marineland Plant LED, $210, 18W, 6500K, 1740 Lum

4) GroBeam, $135, 12 W, 6500K, ?? Lum

5) GroBeam Duo, $260, 2x12W, 6500K, ?? Lum

6) Beamworks Doublebright, 18W, 10000K, 1300 Lum

7) Finnex Ray II DD, 15 W, 7000K/1000K, ?? Lum

Trying for the low-light, non CO2, 1-2W/gal florescent. Does that mean I should target 0.4-0.5 W/gal LED??

Last edited by spidernids; 07-04-2012 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: added another LED option
Old 07-04-2012, 11:49 PM   #5
spidernids
Algae Grower

OK, I'm thinking of getting the Ray2 18" DD for the front half of the tank and keep the DoubleBright for the back half/moonlight.

Will this keep me in the non-CO2 realm, or is that too much light? Can I dim the Ray2 somehow if it is too much?
Old 07-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
spidernids
Algae Grower

Ok, so I don't have any more money to buy stuff, so I'll spend the time to plan the layout and plant/fish/decoration selection. Here is my substrate and lighting plan. I want to have driftwood, maybe some rocks in the middle going up to the back-right corner. I don't know a good LFS to get this from. I would have to order it online without seeing what I am getting. I was maybe thinking a carpet on the bottom, flat slope. Maybe some alternating rows of different colored plants as you go up the slope. Also, I was thinking of getting the Rena 721 XP2 canister filter. I haven't had a canister filter before, just Aquaclear and Aqueon HOBs. Substrate will be 1/2" Diamond Black, 2" ECO Complete, 1" onyx sand.

Last edited by spidernids; 07-06-2012 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: removed picture, link bad
Old 07-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Glad to see the progress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefrik View Post
As a fellow owner of this tank setup, it is true that the light coverage doesn't go front to back. Depending on your layout, it works well. I have it placed more forward than I do to the back only because the plants in the back are low light stems so they reach up toward the light anyways. The only thing I would be worried about with going with two light setups is that you might end up with too much light and getting algae. So far I haven't had any algae problems and the plants are growing well. I'd either get a larger led fixture or go the pendant light approach. Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps!
Old 07-06-2012, 04:51 AM   #8
blink
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sounds like a good plan, I've been trying to get hairgrass to carpet in my cube and it's more like my hair than a carpet, kinda here n there but not everywhere.
Canisters are great but you don't have rule out aquaclears either, I ALWAYS keep one around the house as a spare because they're pretty much unkillable.

My 25 gallon Solana cube

12G Rimless Club
blink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #9
spidernids
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
Sounds like a good plan, I've been trying to get hairgrass to carpet in my cube and it's more like my hair than a carpet, kinda here n there but not everywhere.
Canisters are great but you don't have rule out aquaclears either, I ALWAYS keep one around the house as a spare because they're pretty much unkillable.
Do you know if the aquaclear will fit over the back without having to trim the rim?
Old 07-06-2012, 11:45 PM   #10
blink
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidernids View Post
Do you know if the aquaclear will fit over the back without having to trim the rim?
It sure will, fits perfect but I'd recommend at least an aquaclear 50 or 70, I found the 30 gave poor flow even in my thinly planted tank.

My 25 gallon Solana cube

12G Rimless Club
blink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 12:40 AM   #11
spidernids
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
It sure will, fits perfect but I'd recommend at least an aquaclear 50 or 70, I found the 30 gave poor flow even in my thinly planted tank.
Awesome. I've got an Aquaclear 50 on my 36 gallon. I also have an Aqueon 30 which came with it. I like the self priming of the Aqueon...protection from power failure which happens on occasion. If I cannot find a self-priming canister filter which has good reviews. I might use the same setup as on my 36 since it is working well. I would like to try a canister for the 27.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:27 AM   #12
sphack
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidernids View Post
Awesome. I've got an Aquaclear 50 on my 36 gallon. I also have an Aqueon 30 which came with it. I like the self priming of the Aqueon...protection from power failure which happens on occasion. If I cannot find a self-priming canister filter which has good reviews. I might use the same setup as on my 36 since it is working well. I would like to try a canister for the 27.
Once your canister filter is initially primed and running it will not lose the prime during a power outage. I've seen canisters assist with the initial priming but not advertise self priming.
sphack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #13
DishyFishy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Try looking around at Lowe's or Home Depot section to find some landscaping rocks. Might find something you like.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #14
amygirl11
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Hi!!! Newie here.

I also have the 27 gallon cube. IMO, the doule bright is useless. The width of the tank is to long. LED's lights tend to shine straight down and not disperse the light properly for this tank. I put mine on a 10 gallon and it works perfect there. As for plants..... URGHHHHHH. Moss, Java, and Anubias are about the only plants that would grow with it. I put a 24 strip light with a T8 floramax bulb and it lights up the whole tank. My plants like it too!!!!!
amygirl11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #15
spidernids
Algae Grower

Got in my shrimp and crabs yesterday. Looks like I had some casualties overnight. Cross your fingers that enough live to start a population. This is my last attempt to have shrimp in this tank.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.