anyone make stands? philly
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Pennsylvania

Old 06-04-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
chomper149
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default anyone make stands? philly

Anyone make stands in the philly area? looking for a 55gallon stand that doubles as a rack. On the bottom id like space for a couple of 10 gallons width wise and a 20h and an xp3 if theres space. Anyone in the philly area who could make this? and possibly deliver to the unniversity city area(not required but extremely helpful). Also id assume if the tank could old 10 gallons width wise the top could also hold a 75 gallon right?
Thanks guys let me know
also anyone with 40g breeders or rack tanks or 55gals or anything let me know!
chomper149 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
discusonly
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

You need something for holding the tanks or does it need to be furniture grade?

If you are on the cheaper side, a bunch of 2x4 and deck screws is all you need. I've build quite a few of these and have done it for a few people on CL. I had one done via lag bolt cause the guy couldn't transport it to his house. He put it together when he took it home.. Kinda like an Ikea kit.

Normally, I suggest making the stand to hold a 75 cause lots of people end up moving up to a 75gal anyway. Best part about 75 is that you can put 4 20gal high instead of a 75gal if you decide to do a 49"x25" stand. The extra deep is good for equipments in the back.

You are looking at most $20 for materials unless you want to use plywood under the tank (which may be necessary if you are not sure the tsmaller ank size you will be using).
Old 06-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
chomper149
Algae Grower

It simply needs to hold tanks/ not be furniture grade. Im a college student with a lack of tools/ transport for now. So cheapest and sturdiest stand possible would be best. But would a stand made for 75 gallon tanks hold 10 gallon tanks widthwise on the bottom? And i have looked into making one but it i figure it would be easier for someone to just throw one together than for me to plan/ get the proper things. Id also need plywood on at least the bottom. incase i throw 10s or a canister on it and such.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:52 PM   #4
discusonly
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomper149 View Post
It simply needs to hold tanks/ not be furniture grade. Im a college student with a lack of tools/ transport for now. So cheapest and sturdiest stand possible would be best. But would a stand made for 75 gallon tanks hold 10 gallon tanks widthwise on the bottom? And i have looked into making one but it i figure it would be easier for someone to just throw one together than for me to plan/ get the proper things. Id also need plywood on at least the bottom. incase i throw 10s or a canister on it and such.
If you are uncertain of whether you want 10 or 20 gal on the bottom, it's certaily best to use plywood on the bottom. If you kow the exact tanks that you would be using, I prefer to use 1/2 insulation foam. Why insulation foam? I use foam around most of my tanks to keep heat in an out of my tanks. If you know the exact tank placement on the stand, support can be placed so that all edges of the tanks are under support.

Let me know exactly what you want, I can put a quote together for you to build one. I can knock one of these out fairly quickly.

Just let me know. I can definitely deliver it for you.

1. How high you want the bottom of the first tank.
2. How deep you want the stand.

If I recall correctly, 10 gal is 20" long so unless you build it 20" deep, it won't work.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
Aheartlessfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

cost me about 50 bucks to throw together a nice stand with ply wood for 2 40 gallons. for a 75 your looking to spend about 75 bucks. For someone to put it together for you will prob charge u more for labor (unless they're nice) I say find an entertainment center on craigslist to suit your needs ^^ most things are built in standard sizes (i find i can fit a 55/75 on most entertainment units that were wood based)

forgot to add cost of paint to make it black! xD i went over kill with the stand tho.
Aheartlessfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #6
discusonly
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Be careful with the entertainment units. The are made of pressed board and will not survive long with the moisture that is absorbed from the tanks.

Your cheapest options is 2x4 with plywood or home depot gorilla rack.

You are looking at a possible 1500lbs load on the stand. Entertainment units won't cut it.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #7
discusonly
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here is something that I did pretty quickly when I set up the fish rack in my garage a few years ago. The most time consuming part was painting. They were for 75gal tanks.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #8
chomper149
Algae Grower

so im looking for the stand to be at least 24inch wide for widthwise 10 gallons, 4 feet long to accommodate the 55. This, i hope, is the correct size to to hold a 55 gallon on top, 2 width wise 10 gallons, and a 20 lengthwise. or 3 10 gallons and 1 20H all widthwise. Most likely be the first combo. and i guess the top shelf about 4 feet tall and the bottom shelf a foot- a foot and a half off the ground. That should be enough clearance for the bottom tanks, hopefully. Let me know please how much this will cost/ and if there are any problems with my rough design currently.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #9
chomper149
Algae Grower

the racks you just posted would be perfect. but just need a top and bottom shelf. and it must be over 20inches wide to support widthwise 10 gallon tanks. otherwise the design for that 75 rack is perfect and i wish i had it!
Old 06-05-2012, 02:10 AM   #10
discusonly
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomper149 View Post
the racks you just posted would be perfect. but just need a top and bottom shelf. and it must be over 20inches wide to support widthwise 10 gallon tanks. otherwise the design for that 75 rack is perfect and i wish i had it!
So I can cut that stand up for you right? I actually have another single one just like that. None are used for fish tank these days. they are actually 20" deep (23" outside dimension).

"2 width wise 10 gallons, and a 20 lengthwise"

You are going to need a stand that is at least 49" inside dimension based on the above specs. Add another 3" to the overall length because of the 2"x4"
Old 06-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #11
chomper149
Algae Grower

also a frammed base around it would be better as the flooring is old hardwood and may be too uneven for a 4 legged stand. thank you!
Old 06-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #12
discusonly
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'll sketch it up for you tonight or tomorrow. What do you plan to do for lighting? If you look at my frist picture, it is different than the bottom one. I decided to put Lowes T8 light underneath so I had to move the top tanks up a bit.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:02 PM   #13
chomper149
Algae Grower

i thought the spacing was different. how did you change it after the stand was already done?
but i didnt really think about lighting. I figured i was just gona throw a t5 strip from home depot above the 10 gallons if they come in 6700k. I already have lighting for the 20gal and the 55 will be lit seperatly. So i figure something similar to yours. Although the 10s wont be too heavily planted so i may do a t8
Old 06-05-2012, 12:54 AM   #14
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

go with a 4 ft t8 strip for the bottom tanks. those t5's that h.d. sells come with 3000k bulbs, so you;re looking at another $35 to replace the one's that come with it. you can get a 4ft t8 and 2 6500k phillips bulbs for $30.
and if your flooring is uneven, best bet it to go with a 4 legged stand. easier to level 4 contact points than it is to level a 4'x2' rectangle.
also, since you keep mentioning 20H tanks, future planning would dictate that you go with a stand that is 48x24, even though a 75g is 48x18. a 20H is 24" wide, if i am correct, so a 24" deep stand would allow you to place at least (3) 20's if you so choose. as far as the extra 6" on the top? you could use that space behind the tank to hide equipment or chemicals or whatever you so choose, so it;s not wasted space.
just something to make you go hmmmmmmm.......

oh....and this stand is not only cool looking, but VERY easy to build.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...ial-style.html
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 02:00 AM   #15
chomper149
Algae Grower

i would only need a 2 foot light or so for the lengthwise 10 gallons. They are actually for breeding/ fry tanks so im not too worried about the correct lighting for plants. I already have a 10 and 20h id like to put on the rack, hence the repeated 20h comments. Both of witch already have their own lighting. So the lighting on other tanks isnt an issue as of now.
Thanks for your help guys and i cant wait to see your designs discusonly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.