A lonely Tree 4 gallon bowl, now with clown kilies,
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 05-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
stanzzzz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default A lonely Tree 4 gallon bowl, now with clown kilies,

Updated. @@@@ new scape pics last page,,,Big thanks to newman for his awesome bowl which inspired me to start my own..

New scape,

Hi guys so i am a newbie here and saw newman planted bowl and i had a bowl lying around so though what the heck i will try something as newman planted bowl.
Tank: Its a bowl 4 gallon
Lighting is ikea table lamp says 7W equals 40 W or something CFl i thing as its spiral.
Substrate is:ADA aqua soil + a mix of gravel , just a tiny bit.
Starting my bowl as a DSM (Dry Start Method).
Plants: Lilaeopsis brasiliensis and i thinks its micro sword plant and also Green Pennywort + One driftwood.
Inhabitants would be just shrimps.

Day 1 . mixed ada soil and then topped up with some gravel. filled up with water and then emptied it to take out excessive nutrients.

Then added Lilaeopsis brasiliensis and sword plant. Also kept my driftwood in the bowl so that i know what space i have and where can i plant.

so pics now will keep updated.

let me know what you think or if my lights are ok or anything that would help me.
Pics:

Last edited by stanzzzz; 02-12-2013 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: added clown panchax
stanzzzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
Ozydego
Planted Tank Obsessed

not to burst your bowl here, but that looks like a pretty big bowl, how thick is the glass? I have a 2 gallon that has thin glass, not made to be completely filled and I constantly worry about it busting... yours holds twice as much weight... Be super careful when handling it full; like cleaning the glass and I would never move or turn it even remotely full... I would hate to see that wonderful start end up in pieces...
Ozydego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:46 AM   #3
stanzzzz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozydego View Post
not to burst your bowl here, but that looks like a pretty big bowl, how thick is the glass? I have a 2 gallon that has thin glass, not made to be completely filled and I constantly worry about it busting... yours holds twice as much weight... Be super careful when handling it full; like cleaning the glass and I would never move or turn it even remotely full... I would hate to see that wonderful start end up in pieces...

Don know abt thickness but it is a solid bowl for sure, had it for almost more 2 years now, its not that bad and easy to move and turn around. never had any issues till now.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
stanzzzz
Algae Grower

Default week 2 update

Its been 10 days, carpet plants are growing at a constant pace, green pennyworth is growing real quick and tall now. i have changed the driftwood layout, let me know if you like the driftwood layout standing or it looks better before a bit slanting.

driftwood with pennyworth

i soooooooo much want the carpet plant to grow quickly. i have cling wrapped it an put some holes in it for air.

is it ok.
anyone have any other suggestions.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
stanzzzz
Algae Grower

Default Minor update

So a minor update , added some more plants, again i am growing immersed,so added wisteria as well as some rotala stems, also added some HC as foreground. leaves are still wet so will see how they react in a day or so..

so now it looks like this
Old 01-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
dreamchick
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanzzzz View Post
So a minor update , added some more plants, again i am growing immersed,so added wisteria as well as some rotala stems, also added some HC as foreground. leaves are still wet so will see how they react in a day or so..

so now it looks like this
i am going to have to try something like this.
dreamchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
pedropete
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

this looks really cool! love that driftwood! what do you plan on stocking it with?
pedropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #8
Ozydego
Planted Tank Obsessed

a lot of us have found that the fast growing stem plants get to be a pain after a while. with not a lot of vertical growing room they get to the top very quickly and then grow out. After dealing with this for a few months, I finally ripped them out and used slowr growing non stemmed plants paired with moss. The stem plants are good while the other plants are growing out, but be aware, if they root, you will ruin your substrate trying to get them out later.... good to make a choice now. I think the HC could work, are you planning on using any CO2 source for it?
Ozydego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:27 AM   #9
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

lookin nice!
what kind of shrimp are you planning on keeping here?
Old 06-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #10
stanzzzz
Algae Grower

@ newman ; thanks newman, i am planning to put cherry red shrimps for now and may be some other shrimps later on . any suggestion or advise is more than welcome newman.

@pedropete, i will be just keeping shrimps,yea thats my Fav driftwood as well, i have another one that looks like a big tree, but cant fit in my bowl lol . its winter in australia here, dont know whether i should get the shrimps now or just wait till its summer.

@ozedego, yea i am thinking of removing my stem plants as well..breaks my heart as i just spend 20 dollars on these stem plants and HC... i am thinking to japonica blyxa behind the tree, what you guys think.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #11
stanzzzz
Algae Grower

just thought to share my 2 feet planted tank i use to have, that was my first planted Tank. i called it jungle lol.

this is what it looked like when i started it , think it was day 1

and then

and then
Old 06-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #12
philemon716
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

That's some lush growth in your larger tank! Can you provide details? Setup, dosing, fertz etc. Thanks!
philemon716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #13
stanzzzz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by philemon716 View Post
That's some lush growth in your larger tank! Can you provide details? Setup, dosing, fertz etc. Thanks!
hi bud, i had diy co2 for a while, ada aqua soil as substrate and 2xT8 tubes,
i used just Seachem Florish when ever i did water change and thats it. nothing else. after a while got lazy and stopped DIY Co2 as well . as long as you have a good substrate and proper lighting you cn get lush growh. the plants you see they are all plants that can grow with medium lightings. most of the stem plants will grow real easy if you have enough light , like hygro and stem plants, foreground it was micro sword and jave moss ,and the trees had java moss as well. With moss you can experiment in different ways. i made carpet of java moss as you can see and also in my driftwood and regular trimmings.
easiest plant to grow as carpet with low light would be java moss. just wrap java moss in a net and tie it with pebbles or rock after a while it will grow and attach together and looks like a carpet. the only thing is its very dense and so gets very dirty and collect debris. but still a cool alternative. just keep on trimming the moss and it will grow even better.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #14
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

i think you should wait till summer and then get the shrimp. in the meantime just let things establish and grow out. maybe put in a snail that wont breed to build and keep some degree of bioload. but even if you dont, you'll likely have worms and other animals in the bowl once you fill it, so its no big deal.

cherry shrimp are great for this.

and yes i'd scrap some of the stem plants and do blyxa instead. it will look great there!
Old 06-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #15
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I have to admit, I rarely like these bowls. I think it's a combination of the way the curved glass distorts things, the fact they don't allow for much of a scape, and the fact many are not really scaped much at all.

However, I am loving yours. The driftwood is perfect. I like how you did a foreground, I like your choice of stems. I even like the shape of your bowl better than most. I don't know the term for "modern" 70's furniture but the shape gives it that sort of vibe. Can't wait to see where this goes.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote