Finnex FugeRay Product Review
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 04-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
samamorgan
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via MSN to samamorgan Send a message via Skype™ to samamorgan
Default Finnex FugeRay Product Review

First let me start with a disclaimer: This is not a review of my experience, positive or negative, with Finnex as a company. This is a review of a product i currently own and have experience with, and does not reflect on Finnex or their other products.
------------------------------
Now that that's over, lets get on with it. I purchased this fixture after a member in this thread pointed it out. "LED fixture that gives out medium light and only costs $40 shipped? Sign me up!" i said. Ordered it Tuesday and to my surprise here it is at 10:30am Friday morning. After getting it out of it's cardboard shipping box, this is revealed:
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	46015Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	46016
Pretty standard packaging, nothing special. Fairly well protected for shipping with the bubble wrap and foam padding.

Here it is all unboxed and laid out for your viewing pleasure:

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	46017
No extra frills or crap; just a light, some legs, and a power cord. I like the power cord with the supply inline instead of at the plug, makes it so that big power supply isn't in the way of other things plugging in. The cord is a little short though (~3.5ft), not a problem for me but it might be for people with taller stands.

Putting it together was pretty straightforward. The legs just fit into two grooves that run the entire body of the fixture. No screws or fasteners to mess with, just slip it in and friction takes care of the rest. Nice way to do it. All put together:

Name:	04.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	46018

Putting it on the tank was also very straightforward. Slide the legs to adjust for tank width and set it on the rim. The light has a switch on each end, one controls the white emmiters, and one controls the blues. This allows for moonlight after the photo period. The luttle extra blue kick is nice when the whites are on during photoperiod as well, brings out colors nicely. Tank shot with full lights on (12"x12"x12" rimless cube @ 7.5 gallons):

Name:	05.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	46019
And moonlights only:

Name:	06.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	46020
My only complaint about this fixture is the moonlights. They're the perfect intensity for nighttime, but they're blue. Moonlight isn't blue. This is my big gripe with almost all moonlighting on the market today, blue just looks fake.

Other than the moonlight issue though, the light is a good one. Color rendition is great, fit and finish are great. Couldn't do better for $40 bucks shipped. We shall see how it grows the plants, maybe i can put in a Marsilea quadrifolia carpet in this thing finally? The website states that this puts out 38-42 PAR at 10" from the source, which is right in medium light. Time will tell.
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Beethoven
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into it's secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
samamorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 03:23 AM   #2
Lowe
Finnex

PTrader: (2/100%)

Nice informative write up and your issue with the 3.5' power cord is noted. Looking forward to your growth observations.

Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 03:34 AM   #3
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Subscribing!

I like the look a lot better than the Clip light that came with my Finnex. Looking forward to see your plant growth success.

Last edited by DogFish; 04-23-2012 at 03:10 AM..
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 04:29 AM   #4
Lludu
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'm glad you did this review after me mentioning the light. It looks great on a 7.5 cube too. Thanks for the write up Grumpy Dwarf, much appreciated. Let me know how growth goes, I made a note of plants to add to my tank in the nano tank section... hoping this light will work for all those plants.
Lludu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 04:42 AM   #5
samamorgan
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lludu View Post
I'm glad you did this review after me mentioning the light. It looks great on a 7.5 cube too. Thanks for the write up Grumpy Dwarf, much appreciated. Let me know how growth goes, I made a note of plants to add to my tank in the nano tank section... hoping this light will work for all those plants.
If the par values are true on the manufacturers website, this should grow any plant. Might have a small amount of trouble getting some stuff to fully carpet, but maybe not. If so, two of them would fit on a 7.5g cube with plenty of room to spare, and that would up the lighting significantly.

I will definately report back about growth in a week or two. The stargrass was working OK under the ecopico, though a bit leggy. I was only using one strip with the ecopico though, two was too much to control the GSA without me having to add Co2, and this is my low tech tank. I think this might get it to spread out the leaves some more instead of directly up. The stargrass in my main tank has leaves that are easily 3 times longer than the ones in the shrimp tank.
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into it's secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:30 AM   #6
Lludu
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samamorgan View Post
If the par values are true on the manufacturers website, this should grow any plant. Might have a small amount of trouble getting some stuff to fully carpet, but maybe not.
Well this is what I'm shooting for in my 7.5

Flora:
Dwarf Hair Grass (Eleocharis parvula)
Java Moss (Taxiphyllum barbieri)
Narrowleaf Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus Narrow)
Vallisneria Corkscrew
Stargrass (Heteranthera zosterifolia)

The DHG will hopefully carpet... but I hope that light will be enough to do so, though I might have to add DIY Co2 or something to help grow these... not sure.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:38 AM   #7
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

Man I thought this is the Ray2 lol
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 06:28 AM   #8
samamorgan
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
Man I thought this is the Ray2 lol
From what i can see theyre the same light, the ray2 is just longer. They both use the same LEDs, have the same unibody construction, and the same legs.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
Lludu
Planted Member

Oh same don't tempt me on resoldering moonlights... not when I have the equipment for it next to me minus LEDs... lol
Old 04-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #10
samamorgan
Wannabe Guru

I wouldn't recommend trying unless you know how to reflow solder. It's very hard to solder SMD properly with a soldering iron.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:13 AM   #11
Lludu
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samamorgan View Post
I wouldn't recommend trying unless you know how to reflow solder. It's very hard to solder SMD properly with a soldering iron.
Lol, Im a tech ed teacher... I have to know how to reflow solder and I have about... 12 soldering irons at least haha.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #12
Algae Grower

Great, just ordered one of these for my 12" cube. Hope it holds up well, it looks to be of high quality. I'll probably pick up the Ray 2 in the bigger sizes for my other rimless tanks if this is as great as it looks.
01111000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 02:13 AM   #13
samamorgan
Wannabe Guru

Here's a closeup photo of the difference between the white and blue LEDS. Sorry it's so dark, my camera dimmed it way down. Not sure how to change the auto correction on it.

Name:	P1010567.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	46147
Old 04-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #14
lilasianman316
Algae Grower

how are the plants liking it so far?
lilasianman316 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 11:47 PM   #15
Lludu
Planted Member

Bump for interest in plant growth so far~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.