Lotus question...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 05-03-2005, 11:59 PM   #1
GTApuffgal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Lotus question...

I realize it will probably eventually outgrow my tank, but I just couldn't resist! Beautiful little red lotus!

I got home and began removing the rock wool and the plant separated into 2 pieces and the bulb was hanging by a thread and completely detached. I went ahead and planted the 2 pieces (shallowly) and just put the bulb in the substrate in another spot. Am I going to lose the plants that detached from the bulb? And/or will the bulb grow a new plant???

Thanks!
Kathy - EHEIM Step-pimp #148!

20gal, Flourite/Gravel, 3.25wpg, AC-150, DIY CO2, part-time 12V AA UV, heavily planted, 2 Keyholes, African Butterfly Cichlid, Neons, Clown Pleco and 4 Otos

180gal Malawi community (step-mom), Eheim 2217
GTApuffgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 01:21 AM   #2
Kris
Planted Tank Enthusiast

the bulb will definitely grow a new plant.
as to the other pieces...it depends on whether or not they have a small bit of bulb attached. it's the same thinking as with land-dwelling bulb plants.
good luck, i love mine!
kris

30 gallon tall, pressurized CO2...killer lights
50 gallon long, killer filtration, low tech otherwise
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 02:20 AM   #3
GTApuffgal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There is definitely a little chunk of something or other holding the roots and shoots together on the two pieces, hopefully it is bits-o-bulb. Now if I can just get my Keyholes to stop using the main bulb as a soccer ball...

Thanks Kris!

20gal, Flourite/Gravel, 3.25wpg, AC-150, DIY CO2, part-time 12V AA UV, heavily planted, 2 Keyholes, African Butterfly Cichlid, Neons, Clown Pleco and 4 Otos

Old 05-04-2005, 05:03 AM   #4
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

I was recently told by someone in the know (on this forum) to be sure not to bury the bulb too deep, much like anubias, keeping a fair amount out of the substrate. You prolly know as much. My red tiger l. is my very favorite color in the tank and is starting to slowly grow quite a few leaves. I think folks trim them abit to keep from taking over the tank. Mine just had one skinny start shoot when it arrived from AP.com
Good luck. bob

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Betowess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 04:00 PM   #5
GTApuffgal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betowess
I was recently told by someone in the know (on this forum) to be sure not to bury the bulb too deep, much like anubias, keeping a fair amount out of the substrate. You prolly know as much. My red tiger l. is my very favorite color in the tank and is starting to slowly grow quite a few leaves. I think folks trim them abit to keep from taking over the tank. Mine just had one skinny start shoot when it arrived from AP.com
Good luck. bob
It ain't deep! (Friggin frackin Keyholes!) I was so excited to find this plant and because nobody at the store had any idea what it was or how much to charge I ended up getting it for $5.99! During the discussion (3 employees involved) I pointed out a sign on another tank which said $15.99 - and was what I had expected to pay. So, okay - good CAN come from less than knowledgeable employees at the LFS...

Bob, how long has it been since you got yours? I am just trying to get an idea how long it will take the bouncing bulb to grow a fresh plant! The color is gorgeous and I think it will make a really nice transition point between the brown of my driftwood to the green stems behind...

Old 05-04-2005, 09:12 PM   #6
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

The plant actually doesn't require a bulb to start sprouting new leaves. Got one from Ray awhile back and it had four leaves on it with some roots, but no bulbs. It started to die off after being introduced to the tank (dropped all four leaves) and I thought that I had lost it, but in time the plant started putting out new leaves.

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 05:03 AM   #7
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

double post, sorry

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Betowess is offline   Reply With Quote