Assassin Snail Question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 04-03-2012, 12:42 AM   #1
Studman0143
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Default Assassin Snail Question

Basic question, do Assassin snails need a partner to reproduce or can they create babies all on their own?

Also, when they do start procreating how many can they have at a time?
Old 04-03-2012, 12:52 AM   #2
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

They need a M/F pair, with no real way of sexing them. Not sure on number babies. I started with about 4 or 5 and ended up with 40 or so total, but I'm not sure if it was 1M/4F, 4M/1F but a few of those tanks are low low pH tanks for crystal shrimp, so their rates may be a lot lower as snails usually like a higher pH tank, higher gH (calcium) tank.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:52 AM   #3
depech
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

they need a partner
RAOK #5
depech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:52 AM   #4
bushynoseburton
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

Yes the do need a partner, the better they are feed (snails/food) more often they produce. They lay one single egg at a time, it's hard to say how many the can they lay, but it is only one at time.. They look like diamonds covered with a gel layer.. I have breed them for 3 years now and still not able to figure out the sex of them...
bushynoseburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:54 AM   #5
bushynoseburton
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

Temps that I have been able to breed them in is a wide range from 70-90, ph I don't think bother them.. They will lay the eggs any where in the tank, if you have a sponge filter that is the number one spot.
bushynoseburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:04 AM   #6
Studman0143
Planted Tank Enthusiast

so I know I have just 2 assassin snails in the tank so I obviously have 1M/1F. I haven't seen any eggs as described anywhere but there are so many plants that the egg could have been anywhere. Temperature is 74F and it's a tank with 3 species of tetras, if that matters.
They definitely have plenty to eat with so many spiral snails taking over so here's to more babies!
Old 10-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
Devonviolet
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi, wanted to bump this topic...
I had 2 assasin snails till a month ago when my flatmate looked after my tank-1 got trapped in the filter (very sad).
They were laying eggs before this.
I recently thought I had seen more eggs but dismissed it knowing I now only had 1.
However... This evening I came home to find an egg on my vallis plant. I only bought the vallis 2 weeks ago.... From a snail free tank and I am sure there was no egg on it yesterday.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Flora: vallisinaria, have moss, flame moss, mini pellia, fissidens fontanus, Pygmy chain sword, dwarf hair grass, golden anubia, bonsai Anubias and some algae (!)
Devonviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
garfieldnfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Could be the females can retain the sperm for some time. So a single female that had been with a male may still be able to lay eggs for some time. Just a guess. But mollies do this and mystery snails do too.
20g L174/L46/hastatus/pygmy corys, 10g OEBTs/RCS, 10g blue bees, 10g CRS, 15g L316/L46/L340 fry, 10g yellow rili/yellow shrimp, 15g ADFs/clown plecos, 25g L134s/CPDs/otos, 29g Weitzmani/panda corys/zebra otos, 46g CAE/L134s/CPDs/salt and pepper corys/BNs, rubberlip pleco, 55g SAEs/L201s/L199s/BNs/kissing gourami, 75g L316s/BNs/mix of old fish folk, 30g L340s/L211/black darter tetras/CPDs/micro rasboras/L340 fry,10g tangerine tiger shrimp, 20g L134/habrosus corys
garfieldnfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
dougolasjr
Invert Addict

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to dougolasjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfieldnfish View Post
Could be the females can retain the sperm for some time. So a single female that had been with a male may still be able to lay eggs for some time. Just a guess. But mollies do this and mystery snails do too.
+ 1 Sounds reasonable.
dougolasjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #10
Lkittredge
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

I bought a single assasin snail from a pet storge with many in the tank. The single snail laid eggs throughout the tank. I now have at least 1 confirmed assasin baby in the tank. Took a few months for me to be sure it was an assasin until it had enough size, but I am 100% certain they can reproduce by retaining sperm.
Lkittredge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #11
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have little luck on breeding assassin snails, the babies just can't survive in my tank.
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:29 PM   #12
res34
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

It's possible that you might have some young individuals in your tank that are just beginning to be able to breed. I hear that they tend to hide in the sand/gravel when they're little and only fully come out (to a degree) once fully mature.

I own two assassin snails, one of which has an almost completely blackish-brown shell and whom I rarely, if ever, see unless its under my rocky overhang. My other one has highly visible yellow stripes and is much more active (I've even seen it feed during the day), so I can attest to adult snails being able to hide.
res34 is offline   Reply With Quote