peacock gudgeon breeding project (56K)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
Durgidog
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default peacock gudgeon breeding project (56K)

Thought I'd share some pics and info on the T. Ocellicauda I'm raising. I received 3 young adult males and one female in early January and put them in a newly-cycled 10 gallon planted with dwarf hairgrass, brazilian micro sword, pygmy chain sword, and dwarf water lettuce. There were a few adult RCS and a young gudgeon in there as well. I placed several 1/2 pvc pipes in the tank.

Here are two of the males, the darker is dominant and the father of my spawns (Big Daddy). Yup, the plants were new and looked like crap:

The fish traveled from FLA for two days and within 3 days of arriving here Big Daddy had spawned with the female inside the pvc. I left the male in the tube fanning the eggs for a few days, and then removed the tube with him in it to a 2.5 gallon. Once I saw fry (a week later) I pulled dad out and put him back into the 10 gallon. At this point the aggression was pretty high between the adult males in the tank, so I pulled two of them out, leaving the pair that spawned and a small juvi male. Here's a vid of some of the sparring going on with all 5 in the tank:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx2L0...ature=youtu.be

The same pair have spawned like clockwork every two weeks since. I have moved them and the juvie I kept to a 20 long which will be a colony tank in time. Here's a lousy pic of some fry from the first spawn, they are 5 weeks and I have about 30, they measure close to half an inch with tail fins:

I am also raising the second spawn, they are 3 weeks old. I didn't have an extra tank for them so I pulled the tube without the male in it and stuck it to the side of my 4 gallon RCS tank just beneath the filter outlet. Worked like a charm at keeping the eggs aerated and the hatch is the same size. You can see the pvc tube in the tank in this pic, the fry will be moved out in another week or so:

I may not raise anymore fry, we'll see. Right now Big Daddy is fanning another spawn in the 20 long which also houses male dario dario so I don't expect fry to survive. I feed the parents bbs, grindal worms, and some frozen foods. fry get vinegar eels, bbs, and now some baby grindals.

I love these fish! Thanks for checking it out.

Last edited by Durgidog; 02-18-2012 at 02:26 AM..
Durgidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
Redneck Badger
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Redneck Badger

These fish are great lookin. Ive always liked gudgeons. Those ones are beautiful. I saw a Northern spotted for sale on ebay and they aint very common here so I wanted it but I missed the auction and it only sold for 1.20. bummed.
I went to buy some rarer fish from a dealer bout an hour from me an he had one in his tank house. I said I wanted to buy one on ebay an he said "Thats it." I couldnt believe it, he had bought the fish I wanted, small world, but luckily he did cause now he has bred it and instead of me only gettin one, hes givin me some young when I go down to get my channa! Bonus.

Never above ye. Never Below ye. Always beside ye. FT10. MFFM
Redneck Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (49/100%)

Congratulations on your sucessfull spawn. I have raised several of these fish about 8 years ago and they are one of my favorite fish. That is a very genius idea for attaching your pvc tube by your filter output. I always kept a single pair per 10 gallon tank otherwise it was hard to curb the aggression between males.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:31 AM   #4
snafu
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

thanks for sharing! love the pics and video.
snafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
Durgidog
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone for the comments. Redneck you will love your Northern Spotted, gudgeons have loads of personality. They sure are aggressive during spawning - and they're always spawning!
Old 02-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
eklikewhoa
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

Awesome
Old 04-16-2012, 03:32 AM   #7
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (9/100%)

thats way cool.

what was your water temp?
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:46 AM   #8
Durgidog
Algae Grower

no heaters, room temp - stays about 72 degrees.

Tags
breeding, fry, peacock gudgeon, t. ocellicauda