Parrots feather rotting
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 03-31-2005, 11:01 PM   #1
vwboy53
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy Parrots feather rotting

Hi, I got a problem with some parrots feather plants.
When I get them they were spectacular and after a while they started to rot at the bottom of the stems. It appeared some roots were growing but they died off. I moved them into a brighter spot in the tank,but still they are turning brownish, while one is not. It's just hanging in there.
I placed them now in a crevis in a rock.
Any ideas?

8 gal tank
diy co2
kitty litter substrate
flurotabs fertilizer
daily liquid fertiliser
2 black mollies
1 Cross golden sucker / chinese algae eater (wierd i know, only one i ever seen!)
vwboy53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 02:23 AM   #2
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Welcome to the board vwboy53!

Parrot feather is more of a bog plant than a true aquatic. It does well above the water, but rots away under the water.

Mike
Old 04-01-2005, 07:05 AM   #3
shalu
Wannabe Guru

Mike is right. I have it in the pond outside. When I put it in the tank, it did not like it.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
shalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 12:11 PM   #4
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Weird, I've had mine for a month now and it grows like a weed. It needs weekly trimmings in my tank!?
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 06:55 PM   #5
shalu
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
Weird, I've had mine for a month now and it grows like a weed. It needs weekly trimmings in my tank!?
When you get a chance, show us a picture so that we know we are talking about the same plant. Do you know if yours is Myriophyllum aquatica? that's what Mike and I have in mind. Mine did grow fast underwater, but the leaves underwater are kind of yellow, ugly looking, so I threw it out. Don't know if it would rot if I kept it longer.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
shalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 07:54 PM   #6
SueNH
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Sounds a little odd but I have some sort of milfoil in my tanks that certainly looked like parrots feather when I threw it in the pond. Stuffed some cuttings in the pond last summer and when it broke the surface looked and acted like parrots feather. Lost it's underwater leaves and the few that were left were ratty but there is no doubt in my mind that it came from a reddish topped milfoil I stuffed in the mud.

Got a little trim happy later in the summer and regretted it. Tried to take some of the parrots feather out of the pond and it would not acclimate back to the way it was.

No idea what the milfoil was. Came as a freebie with a plant order. I still have some in the tank. It grows and isn't ratty by any means. If I had a bigger tank it might even be stunning but I've got to constantly nip away at it in my small tanks.

When it warms up I'll see if I can get it to do that again. Parrots feather isn't winter hardy here so I have to try again with plant trimmings.
SueNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 06:53 AM   #7
vwboy53
Algae Grower

Default Parrots feather rotting

The plant I assume is parrots feather is the one coming out of the rock in the middle. You can see the wire wrapped around the stems and the stems below rotting.
I made the wire very light, just enough to hold the stems, but they just rot. Even some loose stems floating rot at the bottom!

Any ideas?
vwboy53 is offline   Reply With Quote