Dan's ADA 45-C fitted with bulkheads
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-18-2012, 01:23 AM   #1
dantra
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)
Default Dan's ADA 45-C fitted with bulkheads

Hey all, I decided to start another journal now that I have some time for it. I purchased a second hand tank that just happens to be an ADA 25 gallon 45-C a while ago at a steal of a price.

I wanted to do things differently this time. I want a clean, clutter free looking tank just like in the pictures submitted to the aquascaping contests. You know, when all of the equipment is taken out of the tank. So I got to thinking and decided to go with bulkheads. Clearly inspired by Tom Barr's 60 Gallon Tank. You can see the bulkhead in the rear of the tank.

I followed some great advice and settled on a 3/4" bulkhead which meant drilling an 1 1/2" hole in the tank. Not one but two! Believe you me, I really thought about not doing it but my wanting a clutter free looking tank took precedent over any apprehension I had about screwing up.

So I ordered the Diamond Glass Drill Bit last week and it arrived this morning. Needless to say I got right to work. First things first though, I had to have my cup of coffee before I did anything to steady my nerves .

I did it but boy was that nerve-racking!!!. I got the holes drilled in the ADA 45-C :

It was a lot easier than I had anticipated. The key is not to put pressure on the drill but let the weight of the drill do the work for you. Also be very patient, do not rush through it, keep it slow and steady and don't forget to use lots of water. I know I did.

Now I'm just waiting for the other parts I ordered to arrive, bulkheads, loc-line, barbs and some other nick-nacks that I thought I might need. I also have to order a 9L bag of aquasoil. I think I attempted to drill the tank because I got it so cheap. Oh and yes, I know the tank needs a cleaning but thats a minor thing. I'll post pics of the stand once I'm done with it. I just need to adjust a few things first.

I think its going to be a pleasure not have a bunch of equipment hanging off the sides of the tank for once but thats just me, to each their own. I was actually inspired when I saw Tom's tanks and finally had an excuse to try it.

Dan
dantra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 01:57 AM   #2
endgin28
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)

Cool, I love the idea of a clean cube. It will be fun to see where this goes.
endgin28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 02:17 AM   #3
prototyp3
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)

Thanks for being a guinea pig. I've been reading conflicting opinions on whether this method is safe or not with regular canister filters. The few pictures I saw using this method had Lifegard systems below, which are quite different in design.

Fluval makes its designer aquarium with bulkheads on the bottom for the canister. However, they do use tall stand pipes on both bulkheads. There has to be a reason for that. I'm guessing it's to relieve some of the water pressure? It's definitely not for cosmetic reasons..
Old 01-18-2012, 03:05 AM   #4
dantra
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here is a link to another drilled ada and another and one more for good measure and just one more

Reef people have been drilling their ADA tanks for a long time now, we're the ones who looks at a drilled ADA planted tank in mortal fear, well some do Believe me I had my reservations as well but what's life without taking a risk?

Seriously though, ADA sells tanks with pre-drilled holes in them and many others has successfully done the same. I didn't say it was going to be easy because all of this is a learning curve for me, from here on out its unchartered territory. However if I run into a brick wall I have you guys to help me out.

Dan
Old 01-18-2012, 03:55 AM   #5
dantra
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You're correct about using a canister filter. I'll be using my 2217, we'll see how that goes. I don't foresee a problem having discussed this extensively with a few individuals however the concern with using a canister filter is oxygenating the water. I'm hoping the 2217 is strong enough to supply ample current. If that doesn't work I can always move the Loc-Lines around to help agitate the water.

I can also use a wye and split the flow coming into the tank with the Loc-Lines like Tom Barr has done on a number of occasions or I can just use a Vortech to help with the circulation.

Dan
Old 01-18-2012, 04:26 AM   #6
prototyp3
Wannabe Guru

Maybe you misunderstood my concerns. Drilling the tank is fine, no problem there. All the links you provided were using a sump, again no problem there. That's a standard setup, works great.

The concern is using a canister filter, which is completely different in design when compared to a sump and return pump. Canisters weren't made to withstand the pressure of 18 inches of water. Think about the difference of running filter pipes over the wall vs having them under the aquarium. With standard over the wall installations the canister works on a siphon, there really is no pressure being exerted on the lines. When you move those lines to the bottom of the aquarium you now have water pressure fighting against both your inlet and outlet. I'm not confident that the canister seal will handle that for an extended period of time..
Old 01-18-2012, 04:42 AM   #7
oldpunk78
/)ಠ_ಠ(\

PTrader: (107/100%)

That a nice job. What canister are you planning on using?
oldpunk78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 05:05 AM   #8
seahunter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I did it. You may not like the way it looks but it works like a charm lol
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 05:12 AM   #9
prototyp3
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahunter View Post
I did it. You may not like the way it looks but it works like a charm lol

Just looked at your thread. You mentioned your canister crapped out within a week of hooking it up, can you elaborate on that? Perhaps the pressure caused additional strain on the motor causing it to fail?

---

Btw, I don't mean to junk up your thread with this. I'm just genuinely concerned.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:30 AM   #10
seahunter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototyp3 View Post
Just looked at your thread. You mentioned your canister crapped out within a week of hooking it up, can you elaborate on that? Perhaps the pressure caused additional strain on the motor causing it to fail?

---

Btw, I don't mean to junk up your thread with this. I'm just genuinely concerned.
Naaa I took a chance hooking up the 405. This filter never worked well and I had repaired it about 5 or 6 times in the past. I used this on a goldfish tank I had at my business about 6 years prior and it had taken a very big fall. The canister itself had broken and I had stuck it back together using plastic I melted onto it. It did its hard time lol
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 07:04 AM   #11
dantra
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What do you mean who put my concerns to rest? I didn't think I needed your permission to get anything done... oh wait, I don't! Here's an idea, sit back and enjoy the ride and see what happens or ...

Moving right alone, The stand is finished. I will post photos of it tomorrow, too tired now. It's a shame my bulkheads won't arrive until next week. I knew what size hole to drill because I called the place I ordered the bulkheads from and they gave me the size needed for the bulkheads to fit.

I still have to make a decision about what light I'm going to use. My choices are:

1. 24" Tek- which I already own.
2. fishneedit- 70W Metal Halide Pendant Lights
3. ADA Solar I

The wife and I agree that the Tek just doesn't look right sticking out as much as it does. The Tek is 24" and the tank is 18", it may not sound like a huge difference but you can clearly see size discrepancy right away. I love my Tek but it just isn't the right size.

The fishneedit lights has me concerned about quality. I don't want to come home to find my place burned down because of the lights. I read it was hit and miss with their product.

The Solar l may just be too much light. My wife and son both said they like the way it looked the best but I'm not convinced. I don't want nor need pea soup.

Decisions, decisions...

I also got the Garden Mat for the tank to sit on. Pics will be up tomorrow.

Dan
Old 01-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #12
prototyp3
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantra View Post
What do you mean who put my concerns to rest? I didn't think I needed your permission to get anything done... oh wait, I don't! Here's an idea, sit back and enjoy the ride and see what happens or
Great attitude man...

*subscribed for fun*
Old 01-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #13
Uptown193
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Hey, nice work on drilling the holes, I know I would have been nervous as well. I know gl[censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored]s dot com sell the drilling kits which people use for drilling the reef tanks, which comes with some putty to put around the hole so you can put water near the hole your drilling and it is contained there until the hole is made obviously. I am looking forward to seeing more pics on this build. Oh and whatever you do, do not use the Power Sand stuff from ADA. It is so annoying and I can't get rid of it in my tank. Good luck.

P.S. If and only if you have the extra cash flow in hand I would shoot for the ADA Solar light. I would more uniform with the tank you have.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #14
londonloco
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

subscribed.....
londonloco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 02:32 AM   #15
fusiongt
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I know it's a waste of money but it would be sweet if the sump was an ADA tank as well =)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.