xenxes's EHEIM Aquastyle 9.2g - Rescaped Dutch-ish + Rilis + CPDs
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-27-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Default xenxes's EHEIM Aquastyle 9.2g - Rescaped Dutch-ish + Rilis + CPDs

Current Status (7/30/12)

Shrimp habitat: moss tree + moss wall + frog bits = triple the grazing space! scrapped moss tree, restarted for more plants!

Tank Progression Pics

Latest FTS:

Fauna:

Equipment:
- EHEIM Aquastyle 9, all stock
- SS Mesh for moss wall (use Bostich Snips to cut)
- Wood from Evilbay (Thai seller, be warned you may not get what you see--I superglued mine to get it the way I want)

Fauna: ~20x Mixed Grade Red/Blue Rilis + MTS, Ramshorn, Pond + Amphipods, Ostracods, Daphnia...
- 10x CRS
- 10x Super Tigers

Flora:
- Rotala Indica
- Ludwigia Peruenses
- Star Repens
- Limnophila Repens Mini
- Lindernia Parviflora Var 'Variegated'
- Blyxa Japonica
- HC
- Marsilea Minuta
- Mixed Moss
- Floaters: RRF, frogbits, dwarf water lettuce

Redacted Original Post
--------------------------------------------------------

Ordered this @ BB&B to get rid of store credit. $159.99-20% = $128 - $105 store credit, still came out to be $50ish out of pocket with shipping+taxes. Moving on to my second tank in under a week, hope this doesn't become a trend lol.

Tank is all glass with seamless round corners and a glass lid, measures 12.25 x 12.25 x 14.1 inches, 9 gallon capacity. Stock LED with 81 diodes claims 1200 lumens at 6000k (7w).

The stock LED is certainly better than my Fluval Spec stock, but is it good enough for medium-high light plants? I'd like to add some color this time around.

Last edited by xenxes; 08-22-2012 at 01:18 AM.. Reason: z
xenxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

7W seems pretty low as 1W/gallon is generally means med/high light.

Is that a built in filter as well?

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah filter is built in at the corner, 4W pump. Just a piece of foam and some of those white-rock things on top (biomedia). It can be replaced with a sack of carbon, but only one at a time (not like the 3 stage filtration in the Fluval).

Does the 1W/gal rule also apply to low energy LEDs? Don't know anything about lighting... was reading this article here web.ncf.ca/bf250/plantlumen.html but it went a little over my head
Old 12-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
Storm
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
Yeah filter is built in at the corner, 4W pump. Just a piece of foam and some of those white-rock things on top (biomedia). It can be replaced with a sack of carbon, but only one at a time (not like the 3 stage filtration in the Fluval).

Does the 1W/gal rule also apply to low energy LEDs? Don't know anything about lighting... was reading this article here web.ncf.ca/bf250/plantlumen.html but it went a little over my head
The 1 watt/gallon rule does not apply to LEDs, which are much more powerful for a given wattage than fluorescent lights. It doesn't even really apply to fluorescent lighting, but that's another topic.

The answer is you can't really be sure how much light that LED will produce unless you have an expensive PAR tester. Unfortunately the PAR tester will probably cost more than 2 of those tanks would... Having said that, I saw a demo Aquastyle 9 setup at the LFS and the owner said it could grow medium light plants. I'm not sure about high light plants, but the light seemed pretty bright to me.

I think it's a great tank, but you will probably only be able to reliably grow low-medium light plants, especially without Co2.

Good luck!
Old 12-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
Ben.
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)

For that size tank, the LEDs will probably only be able to grow moss, very slowly.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:45 PM   #6
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Interesting about that tiny filter. Will you be keeping the filter as well? Oh yea, totally missed that you wrote it was LED. Not sure if the 1W/gallon applies to LEDs as others stated, LEDs are generally much more powerful. If it isn't strong enough you can always get a 13W 6500K CFL bulb and adjust the height for the lighting you desire. But I'd see what the LED can do.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:41 AM   #7
sssnel
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

How is this coming along for you? I like the tank quite a bit.
sssnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:47 AM   #8
sssnel
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I did a standard 10 gallon as a Beta Sorority and had 7 in there. They were the only fish in the tank. That tank did well because of all the plants in it. If you plan on heavily planting with lots of hiding places then it sounds great.
I will say if you can get them all at once that would be better. I received mine as young ones from the same place and that tank lasted about 3 years. Now I have just one left from the group. She is 5 years old and by herself now.
sssnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:07 AM   #9
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

Wow a 5 year old Betta! That is impressive.

I'm actually leaning more towards neon tetras + RCS. I haven't setup the tank yet been trying to find a perfect piece of driftwood for a moss tree.

What do you guys think of this for $23? Don't know what kind of wood...

I think the dimensions are in cm so would fit perfectly (maybe a little trimming). Shipping may take upward to 20+ days coming from Thailand.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #10
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

I got my driftwood in the mail -- very upset.

This is what I got in the mail:

It's about half the size, looks like a plain piece of wood with twigs I can find on the street.

This is what I ordered:

Quote:
Wow a 5 year old Betta! That is impressive.

I'm actually leaning more towards neon tetras + RCS. I haven't setup the tank yet been trying to find a perfect piece of driftwood for a moss tree.

What do you guys think of this for $23? Don't know what kind of wood...

I think the dimensions are in cm so would fit perfectly (maybe a little trimming). Shipping may take upward to 20+ days coming from Thailand.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:16 AM   #11
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Too many branches for my taste. Unless you're planning on trimming all those thin ones off? The color also makes it seem really "artificial", but it might look better under water.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #12
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
Too many branches for my taste. Unless you're planning on trimming all those thin ones off? The color also makes it seem really "artificial", but it might look better under water.
I want to snip off the top 15cm, hoping to do a:

But it'll probably turn out like a:

I don't like the color either :/ anyway to darken it without pollution? Oven bake or roast over a fire? lol.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #13
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
But it'll probably turn out like a:

I don't like the color either :/ anyway to darken it without pollution? Oven bake or roast over a fire? lol.
LOL your second comment with picture cracked me up. But with the scapes in your other tanks I think you could easily pull off that first picture.

There's definitely paints designed to be used in an aquarium and are safe when dry. But if the wood darkens in the water maybe you won't need it?

Old 01-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #14
robbowal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

it looks like red moor wood if it is it will darken down quite a bit once in the water.
it is popular in europe as manzinita wood is not readily available in europe.
Canon Pimp Club #003
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
"Living in the lap of luxury isn`t bad, except you never know when luxury is going to stand up." Orson Welles
robbowal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #15
Ozydego
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

As an example of LEDs, I am receiving a light from innovative marine today that is 8 watts. It outputs 960 lumens and at 6 inches down its around 50-80 par which is medium to high light. at 12 inches down, its 20-50 par which is low to medium light. Here is the par measurement graph, they give par numbers for saltwater, but from what I remember 20 is low light, 50 is medium light, and 80 is high light

http://innovative-marine.com/skkye-l...p-par-page.pdf
Ozydego is offline   Reply With Quote