Fairly new to the hobby, are there any members in the Clarksville area?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Tennessee

Old 12-08-2011, 04:24 AM   #1
tlyons01
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Default Fairly new to the hobby, are there any members in the Clarksville area?

Just joined, bought a few live plants in the summer and have been going back and forth on what I want to do. Now have 5 tanks total. Would like to know best places or persons to get plants from. Anyone who may offer up advice, kinda guide me through some things. Are there any groups in our area? Anyway, my first days here have been the best of any of the forums that I have turned to this past summer. Everyone seems to be so knowledgeable and willing to offer advice and I love that. Thanks for reading, hope to hear from anyone

These pics are of my first planted tank, though I have only just begun. I corrected lighting yesterday and have a list of things I want to add. Right now it has been over run with peppered cories. Adopting out 5 this weekend
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC063458.jpg (67.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg PC063461.jpg (158.5 KB, 49 views)
tlyons01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:31 AM   #2
allaboutfish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

good start. i live in memphis and if you need any plants i could send you some.
allaboutfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:45 AM   #3
doncityz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

what's that box at the top center?
Old 12-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
tlyons01
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It contains 6 guppy fry in it. I just decided to add guppies recently and brought 4 home last week. Within 2 days one of them had given birth and these were the only ones I managed to save. I couldn't bear to watch anymore get eaten, I watched plenty of that with my cory fry over the summer months... If this small group make it when I release them, that will be the only time I think I will intervene. Once I know that I have an abundance of plants that would help them survive, I will just let nature take its course. If I end up with too many, I will give them away. Sorry for such a long answer to your question! I type like I talk, always TMI... Thanks for looking and allaboutfish, thank you I just may take you up on that as well
Old 12-09-2011, 12:10 AM   #5
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

Hi Tlyons!

I live in Goodlettsville, so I'm not too far away from you. I would be happy to answer questions regarding plants and plant-related issues (substrate, planting, lighting, CO2, etc), if you would like. The most local forum that I have been able to find is:
http://musiccitycichlids.proboards.com/
Everyone is really nice on that forum as well, but topics are pretty much cichlid related and not about plants.

I, too, would be happy to send you some plants during warmer weather. I have a ton of different species growing in a high tech set up. You seem to have really nice plants, too! Sometimes, it is better to read up on things and try some things on your own as well. That's how most of us became "experts"= through trial and error over a long time!

Welcome!
crazydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:21 AM   #6
tlyons01
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you, I am first wanting to remove the plastic plants and hopefully it will flourish from that point. I am sure that you will be hearing from me in the weeks to come. I am still working on my lights, I am unhappy with them at the moment. More to come, and thnks for reading my thread and offering your ear
Old 12-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #7
stsalerno
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to stsalerno Send a message via Skype™ to stsalerno

I was actually born and raised in Clarksville. But I haven't lived there in about 5 years now. There aren't a lot of pet stores to get plants from. I think I usually got my plants from Petsmart on Wilma Rudolph blvd. Pet Palice on 41A bypass is where I usually got my fish. They will special order anything you want usually. And on your next trip to Nashville try to stop by the Aquatic Critter and Reptile Zoo. They have all kinds of fresh and saltwater fish... They even have freshwater stingrays.
stsalerno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:06 PM   #8
csmith
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/100%)

+1 for Pet Palace. Always had good stuff when I was there.
3. Gallon [ gal-uhn ]: noun -- a common unit of capacity in English-speaking countries, equal to four quarts.
What does this have to do with growing plants?
csmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:00 AM   #9
tlyons01
Planted Tank Enthusiast

HAHA, nice.. I do love going to Pet Palace. They just moved closer to the exit on HWY 76, Had a location built. I haven't been there yet, but I am due for a visit to that side of town tomorrow and am hoping I can get the hubs to let me stop. If they are re-opened, that is. I actually didn't care for the plants they had on site though, I didn't want to bring home any snails and I'm guessing there hasn't been a market for them lately maybe cause they haven't had that many the last few times I have looked. Now that I have had experience with snail breakouts (limpets, specifically) I am even more cautious about plants. At least until I find some PP, that is what I am hoping to find there tomorrow. I can walk through their store for an hour and not even know it... I do most of my business though with Petsmart and I have gone to the Aquatic Critter as well. I really love their store, all the tanks were so clean and the fish looked so healthy. That is where I bought my first batch of plants. I thought it was great, though the plants weren't as nice as I thought they were when in their tank, subdued lighting effect... The area is limited, but now that I have found this forum, I see many opportunities for future purchases. Even waiting for one now...

Stsalerno, I see you are in Boston, I used to live in Ayer and still have family there. My family is from that area. I was born in Jersey, but been in C-ville for the last 25 years, give or take..
Csmith, I would love to see Colorado. After being here, I bet everything there is just lovely.. I love the mountains and fresh crisp air...Ya'll ain't missing much being away from here..

Thanks for saying hi......Toodles!
Old 12-11-2011, 01:07 AM   #10
csmith
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/100%)

Colorado is nice, but I miss Tennessee. Born and raised in Clarksville, but been gone since '04 (joined the AF), and haven't been back much. The upsides to Colorado are a complete lack of humidity, and there are no mosquitos, ticks or chiggers to speak of. I'll need some reacclimation time once I come back.
3. Gallon [ gal-uhn ]: noun -- a common unit of capacity in English-speaking countries, equal to four quarts.
What does this have to do with growing plants?
csmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:45 AM   #11
tlyons01
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Man, it would be so nice to be able to walk outside in the summer and not be swarmed by the squitoes and gnats and other no see ums. If only, then I would actually grow something in my garden cause I would stay outside long enough to work in it...Well things are the same, there is just more of it. I wish they would stop building stuff. Sango is getting alot of new retail, and residential areas are taking over all the farm land. So much for the green rolling hills...
Old 12-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #12
stsalerno
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to stsalerno Send a message via Skype™ to stsalerno

Yeah I can't say I miss Clarksville too much. My parents farm is being surrounded by subdivisions filled with small cheap houses. When I was growing up there was nothing but farmland and woods all around us. I do miss friendly people though... up here it seems like people go out of their way to be rude. I love Nashville and when it's time for me to retire from the Coast Guard thats where I plan on moving.
stsalerno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:12 PM   #13
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith View Post
Colorado is nice, but I miss Tennessee. Born and raised in Clarksville, but been gone since '04 (joined the AF), and haven't been back much. The upsides to Colorado are a complete lack of humidity, and there are no mosquitos, ticks or chiggers to speak of. I'll need some reacclimation time once I come back.
You never reacclimate, at least I never did. I still can't get over the humidity and misquitos and don't get me started on ticks and chiggers uugghh.

OP nice to see someone else from Clarksville. I've been here for the last 13 years. I live by 101 and peachers. If you ever need anything let me know. I went by pet palace the other day (the new location) not anywhere as big as the last store, and sadly they didn't have any tanks set up. They told me it would be about a month before they had them back up and running.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #14
tlyons01
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hey there, looks like we are right down the road from each other, as I am at peachers mill and tiny town..

I was at PP about a week and a half ago and they were still building the frames for the tanks, I was hoping they would have their plants moved already. I even went to the old local to see if maybe, just maybe they had both stores open, with no such luck. I did however, talk to a guy at J and M Petland, that offered to look for prices of some plants I was looking for. He ordered one of them, and the other seemed pricey to me. I haven't yet gotten to their store to take a look at the new plant (water sprite). I have been drooling over gordonrichards group lists for about a week now. I can't see paying a store price when I can get more for the money, even with shipping. Anyway, thanks for the offer, I might just have to take you up on that as I am still in the learning stage. Got my new light yesterday... I am pretty pleased..

BTW, the gnats aren't on your list of annoying things about clarksville? They are the worst at my house....
Old 12-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #15
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

They were building the frame when I went down the other day as well. I went for filter floss for one of my sumps.

I get my feeders and occasionally a few fish from J&M but I'm not real fond of their prices. They like to overcharge on most everything. I've asked them to order some of this or that and they never end up making it in or when they do they are priced much higher then what I was quoted.

To be honest as far as LFS go I prefer to go to Cookeville and buy from exotic tropicals. It's a little bit of a drive but much better quality, selection, and price. If you ever want anything from there I'd be happy to bring it back. I make a few trips out there a year when I visit my brother.

I'm down on the other end of peachers off polard rd. The gnats don't really bother me much. However I am allergic to ticks and chiggers and usually end up on steriods 2-3 times each summer to get rid of their bites. But I would gladly keep all the bugs to get rid of the humidity.