36 Gallon Bowfront Light
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 12-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
Titan17
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default 36 Gallon Bowfront Light

So my 36 gallon bowfront tank is almost done going through the cycle. I have my plant list in mind already. I want some contortionist vals, amazon swords, melon swords, anubias nana, and others I am not sure of yet. Now right now the tank only has the stock lighting which is a 24" T8 17 watt 8000k bulb. What kind of lighting would be best for my tank and do you all recommend any particular light fixture. As a side note I have not plans to do C02.
Titan17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
2in10
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

You will need 1 or 2 more bulbs to get to low light.
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
Titan17
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2in10 View Post
You will need 1 or 2 more bulbs to get to low light.
Is there a particular fixture you would recommend? And does anyone think that T5HO would be to strong?
Old 12-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
djscotty
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

On my 36 gallon Bow, I have two Coralife T5NO Dual fixtures.

djscotty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 10:07 PM   #5
Titan17
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by djscotty View Post
On my 36 gallon Bow, I have two Coralife T5NO Dual fixtures.

Beautiful tank. What all do you have panted in there? Is that considered medium light?
Old 12-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #6
Eviltwist
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have 2 bulb T5HO 2x24 Watt ( You can see my tank in my signature) tho i will be changing it to 2x39 Watt.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:27 PM   #7
Titan17
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviltwist View Post
I have 2 bulb T5HO 2x24 Watt ( You can see my tank in my signature) tho i will be changing it to 2x39 Watt.
Love your tank! What is the fixture you have now and which one are you getting next?
Old 12-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #8
Titan17
Algae Grower

I will post up a couple of pics of mine when I get home!
Old 12-03-2011, 04:09 AM   #9
Titan17
Algae Grower

I am thinking I am going to get a Current USA Nova Extreme T5HO 2x24 Watt fixture. I think it will work well for this tank.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:30 AM   #10
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

The tank is 30 inches long, and 21 inches high, per http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/bow-front.htm so you need a 24 or 30 inch long light. To get low light, with no CO2 needed, you need to find a light that will give you about 25-35 micromols of PAR at the substrate, which could be with the light sitting on top of the tank, or hanging above the top of the tank. If it sits on top of the tank, it would be about 19-20 inches from the top of a 2 inch layer of substrate. A single T8 bulb at that distance gives you about 10 micromols, so it would take 3 bulbs to get into the low light range. A 2 x 24 watt FishNeedIt, T5HO light would give you about 30 micromols at that distance, so that is probably the cheap way to go. Or a good quality T5HO one bulb light hanging about 10-12 inches above the top of the tank would also give you about that much PAR. That would cost a lot more.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:42 AM   #11
Titan17
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
The tank is 30 inches long, and 21 inches high, per http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/bow-front.htm so you need a 24 or 30 inch long light. To get low light, with no CO2 needed, you need to find a light that will give you about 25-35 micromols of PAR at the substrate, which could be with the light sitting on top of the tank, or hanging above the top of the tank. If it sits on top of the tank, it would be about 19-20 inches from the top of a 2 inch layer of substrate. A single T8 bulb at that distance gives you about 10 micromols, so it would take 3 bulbs to get into the low light range. A 2 x 24 watt FishNeedIt, T5HO light would give you about 30 micromols at that distance, so that is probably the cheap way to go. Or a good quality T5HO one bulb light hanging about 10-12 inches above the top of the tank would also give you about that much PAR. That would cost a lot more.
Thanks for the killer info. Would it hurt to get the FishNeedIt 30" fixture? I don't want to hang the fixture so I would like to just put it above the tank on the supplied legs if possible. I don't want to do C02. The plants I would like to keep is Amazon Sword, Melon Sword, Anubias Nana, Dwarf Sag, Assorted Vals, and maybe some Riccia. Just saw this earlier today and I am trying to do some research on it now.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:51 AM   #12
Titan17
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
One more question for you I was viewing your chart on par and under the examples for poor reflectors I am almost positive you used the image of a Current USA Nova Extreme T5ho fixture that I have on my 40 breeder. Everyone says that this is ridiculously high light for this tank, however, if I am reading your chart right it is only low to medium light. Am I correct?
Old 12-03-2011, 05:16 PM   #13
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan17 View Post
One more question for you I was viewing your chart on par and under the examples for poor reflectors I am almost positive you used the image of a Current USA Nova Extreme T5ho fixture that I have on my 40 breeder. Everyone says that this is ridiculously high light for this tank, however, if I am reading your chart right it is only low to medium light. Am I correct?
Until someone does a check with a PAR meter I don't know how much light you get from the Nova Extreme light. But, I expect that it will be low to medium light on that tank. You can do only so much estimating by looking at the reflectors. (I also don't know if that light has a good T5HO ballast or one of the cheap ballasts that drive it at lower than HO power.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan17 View Post
Thanks for the killer info. Would it hurt to get the FishNeedIt 30" fixture? I don't want to hang the fixture so I would like to just put it above the tank on the supplied legs if possible. I don't want to do C02. The plants I would like to keep is Amazon Sword, Melon Sword, Anubias Nana, Dwarf Sag, Assorted Vals, and maybe some Riccia. Just saw this earlier today and I am trying to do some research on it now.
I think the 30 inch fixture stil uses 24 inch bulbs. In any case I doubt that it gives any more light than the 24 inch fixture.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:38 PM   #14
Titan17
Algae Grower

Thanks you so much again for all of your help. This is thr best forum I have ever been a part of. I guess I will just get the cheapest one. Both are good looking fixtures.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:10 AM   #15
Titan17
Algae Grower

Hoppy good catch on the 30 inch fixtures using the same bulbs as the 24 inch fixture. Now I am feeling like I am getting ripped off by buying the 30 inch fixture. I also feel like I would be lucky if I was a able to reach medium light with either of the fixtures I am looking it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.