Red Tiger Lotus not, err, red?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 02-13-2005, 11:34 PM   #1
motifone
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Default Red Tiger Lotus not, err, red?

Last month, I received some Tiger Lotus bulbs (sold as red tiger lotus) from an online vendor. Both bulbs are starting to put forth leaves, supplied with Flourish tabs, but the leaves look green and not red.

Does it take a while for the red to pronounce itself or am I most likely the victim of the dreaded "swapped for another similar plant in stock" practice.

Plant is still nice, I'm not bitter (although red would be cool), just wondering what I might have.
motifone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2005, 05:20 AM   #2
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

The same thing happened to me. I have seen pics of Red Tigers for sale that weren't red at all. They were dark green and brown looking. I just bought a lotus from a lfs that is completely pink!
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2005, 09:23 PM   #3
Urkevitz
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

It is a little misleading to call the plant a red tiger lotus, but apparently this species come in another color which is a lime green.... So these lotuses are red compared to the green ones.
Urkevitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2005, 09:42 PM   #4
shalu
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Does it look like mine here:

Not blood red, but still quite red.

The color depends on nutrient/light levels. Gets redder in good light. Pink color is due to nutrient deficiency, I have seen that in my tank.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
shalu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2005, 09:55 PM   #5
motifone
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My leaves are only a week old, but the are green for sure at the moment. Not nearly red like your pic!

I got mine from aquariumplants.com Again, not slamming them, but maybe they were out of stock on the "red tiger lotus" and sent me green ones -- after all, I only ordered 1 and they sent me 2 bulbs, probably to make up for it.

I ordered this:

http://www.aquariumplants.com/cgi-bin/cart/cw723.html

But mine is looking more like this at the moment:

http://www.aquariumplants.com/cgi-bin/cart/ww722.html

Still, a nice plant.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:07 PM   #6
TeeItUp
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by motifone
I got mine from aquariumplants.com Again, not slamming them, but maybe they were out of stock on the "red tiger lotus" and sent me green ones -- after all, I only ordered 1 and they sent me 2 bulbs, probably to make up for it.
I think that is their modus operandi because your story is exactly like mine including sending me “more” green bulbs.
Eheim Pimp Club member #14
2215 Classic
Eheim CO2 Diffuser
TeeItUp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2005, 09:58 PM   #7
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

If your leaves are coming out green then they will stay green, Red Lotus bulbs will start out red/maroon/brown at the very first sight of a leaf but get better color with age and good nutrients. You can help them color up.
At the defense of the seller they have no way of knowing unless the bulbs are started by them first but then they are very sensitive to ship. Thats why normally you get 8-10 bare bulbs and usually get a mix of greens/reds in the end and you decide which to keep.
Its a 50/50 shot on their part to send a bare bulb and call it a "red one" unless they are from a red mother plant of their own in a tank. The greens IMO are a great looking plant too.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:04 PM   #8
shalu
Wannabe Guru

btw, I also got the red one in pic from aquariumplants.com
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
shalu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2005, 10:38 AM   #9
Robert H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

If you bought them as bulbs only, with no growth, its really impossible to know if they are red or green until they grow leaves. If they were red, they would be red from the first tiny little leaf, however there are green leaves with red spots and the spots may develop later.
RAOK Club #1
Kindness like love is unconditional
Robert H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2005, 05:18 AM   #10
bastalker
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

I got a lotus from Marcel a couple of months ago, an the leaves were all red. Although the plant is growing great, an has trippled the amount of leaves it once had, the leaves are looking more green than red. I have not had a stem reach the surfcace yet. It just stays low an multiplies rather quickly!!

There is a hint of red in the leaves, but they are looking more green than red right now. I dose the correct micros, an macros, maybe its the low light I have in the tank. I dunno.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:11 AM   #11
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Hey, do you guys seperate your lotus' from the bulbs?
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2005, 01:10 AM   #12
Opiesilver
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I buy about 300,000 of these bulbs every 2 weeks. Our suppliers try their best to just harvest red ones but even they get them confused sometimes. We try to have about 100 sprouted for our own use all the time but it seems we ship them faster than we grow them. I would estimate that 80% of all the tiger lotus bulbs on the market pass through our warehouse at one point or another.

Sometime this fall we plan on building on to our warehouse and adding another 10 to 15 nymphaea species to sell to the general public. I've already got over 160 more species of true aquatic plants lined up to add to our offerings in the next couple months.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:11 AM   #13
Opiesilver
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
Hey, do you guys separate your lotus' from the bulbs?
I just pop them off the bulb with my fingers right at the base where it comes out of the bulb.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:09 AM   #14
motifone
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Couple questions:

So, if I detach the plant from the bulb, does the plant still put forth new leaves?

Does the detached bulb, when placed elsewhere, produce another plant?

Lastly, is there anyway to train a Lotus plant to stop putting leaves to the surface. Both my Lotus plants have a few leaves that have stopped mid-tank height (since adding more light), but generally the new leaves are shooting to the surface as lilly pads.

thanks
steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.