400g Inground Goldfish Garden
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 07-01-2011, 05:06 AM   #1
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Arrow 400g Inground Goldfish Garden

Just a teaser... (This pond is actually not mine, merely a freinds. I am however stocking and taking care of it, so I figured it was worth a journal!

DSCN2740 by ripariumguy, on Flickr

Before
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
RipariumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:12 AM   #2
tonytrout2001@hotmail.com
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via MSN to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com Send a message via Yahoo to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com

Wish we lived closer together, getting ready to get rid of some golds and supposed to be gettin some baby coi from a friends pond. Love that pond by the way!
The Fraternity of Dirt #15
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech.
Updated 9-7 Check me out. 10g Rimless. My 105g Journal. 105g YTubeAction ETnAC President.
tonytrout2001@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:30 AM   #3
Capsaicin_MFK
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

Looks like a fun project. Planning on using some riparium plants? Too bad we northern state people can't enjoy year-round outdoor ponds... :/
Capsaicin_MFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
FIT BMX
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Lilies and lotuses would look great in this pond, given it's shape and size. The pond looks about 12" deep. do you have more photos?
What are the pump and filter size? It looks like it's a good pump the waterfall is really going.

LOOKS GREAT
FIT BMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytrout2001@hotmail.com View Post
Wish we lived closer together, getting ready to get rid of some golds and supposed to be gettin some baby coi from a friends pond. Love that pond by the way!
Aww! That would have been awesome! The pond owners have a bunch of little kids that love looking at the fish. I just feel back because they are always hiding and there are only 4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsaicin_MFK View Post
Looks like a fun project. Planning on using some riparium plants? Too bad we northern state people can't enjoy year-round outdoor ponds... :/
I am deffinately adding plants. Hands down! They are actually coming today. Here is a list of the plants I ordered:

Corkscrew Rush
Yellow Iris
Dwarf Cattail
Lizard Tail
Black Gamecock

I have all the planting materials and baskets ready as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIT BMX View Post
Lilies and lotuses would look great in this pond, given it's shape and size. The pond looks about 12" deep. do you have more photos?
What are the pump and filter size? It looks like it's a good pump the waterfall is really going.

LOOKS GREAT
Hey thanks FIT BMX! I would love to add some lilies, but unfortunately, since the pond is only a little over one foot deep, I don't think that they would fair well. I am probably going to give them a try anyway though.

As far as filteration and such, I am not sure about the filter size. I am pretty sure it is made by EasyPro though. Media wise, there the waterfall container is filled with bagged lava rock and some misc. mechanical media.

I do not any more pictures at the moment... but if all goes as planed, I should have plenty later today!
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
Old 07-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
bigboij
Planted Tank Enthusiast

looks good, i think terrestrial scaping around it would bring it out the best. with some assorted riparium style plants in the water to soften up the edges a bit
SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4
bigboij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #7
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboij View Post
looks good, i think terrestrial scaping around it would bring it out the best. with some assorted riparium style plants in the water to soften up the edges a bit
The landscaping company is in charge of that, and I don't think they are going to do anything. So, I'll just have to do what I can!
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
Old 07-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #8
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Too bad it's not a deep pond so you can leave the golds there over the winter. I hear the Wisconsin Winters are pretty nasty.
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:34 PM   #9
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Too bad it's not a deep pond so you can leave the golds there over the winter. I hear the Wisconsin Winters are pretty nasty.
Totally! I had to over winter the poor fish in a 20g... I am going to get them a bigger tank for next winter though.
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
Old 02-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #10
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipariumGuy View Post
Totally! I had to over winter the poor fish in a 20g... I am going to get them a bigger tank for next winter though.
I'd get them a big Rubbermaid tote or go to a farm store and get a watering trough of some sort.

I might be moving this summer to my mom's house where I grew up, she's moving to a new house and giving me her house, so I want to build a pond. Nothing big, 500g or so. I'd like it deep enough to be able to leave the fish in though. I need to do lots of research first because I have no idea about ponds other than they are awesome when done right.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:43 PM   #11
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (117/100%)

Nice Jake! That's cool that you're going to be taking care of a friend's pond.
Keep the pictures coming.

Centromochlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:25 PM   #12
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzFishKid View Post
Nice Jake! That's cool that you're going to be taking care of a friend's pond.
Keep the pictures coming.
Thanks Philip! And I will! Just waiting (im)patiently for FedEx to get me my package of plants....
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
Old 07-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #13
FIT BMX
Planted Member

Almost all lilies( even the biggest of hardy lilies) will grow very nicely in just 6" of water. A lutes will grow with just 1 or 2" of water above the crown of the plant, or some even with the crown just above the water like in a bog.
Good luck, and keep a close watch on the kids when they are around the pond!!!
FIT BMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #14
Zefrik
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

How is this pond made? I really like it is there a liner or is it concrete and sealed?
Zefrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:28 AM   #15
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefrik View Post
How is this pond made? I really like it is there a liner or is it concrete and sealed?
It's a liner, with plastic in/out flows.
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3