proper camera
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Photography

Old 01-27-2005, 06:15 PM   #1
cornhusker
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Smile proper camera

undefinedundefinedundefined

can someone point me in right direction as to what kind of digital camera to purchase to take pictures of aquarium. low buget. also lighting,position,etc. most pictures of tanks i've seen nowdays are very good. would like to duplicate.
thanks,cornhusker
cornhusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 07:17 PM   #2
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

What kind of budget are we looking at here? Also, what else do you plan on using the camera for, or will it be dedicated totally to fish photography?

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 07:34 PM   #3
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Here's two things I've learned from buying a digital camera.

1) Anything over 3 megapixels really only becomes very useful if you are printing out the images. For viewing on a PC and sharing on the internet, you'll be cutting the resolution down quite a bit anyway. The only thing that would draw me in to buy a 6 megapixel camera is the ability to "zoom" by cropping out the part of the image you want, without using lenses.

2) Manual Modes! You don't necessarily need an SLR digital to have full manual control over aperture and shutter speed. Look for a camera that lets you adjust both. Even if you're a beginner, it won't be long before you're looking for ways to improve your skills at aquatic photography.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:26 PM   #4
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (0/0%)

Don't forget the ability to use Macro mode. If you want to take some fabulous up close pictures of your favorite fish, shrimp, snail, your toenails, or whatever you want a camera that a good macro mode..

Some camera's have a great Macro mode, but horrible light senstivity without using a flash (sony cameras are notorious for this).

My own personal bias is telling me to recomend either a Nikon or a Canon. These manufacturers are always putting out amazing quality cameras and I have not been dissapointed yet.

I own a Canon Powershot A80, as it lets me have full manual controls over the camera. This camera has been replaced with the A85, and recently an A95 has been released as well (5mp version of the same camera)
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 01:08 AM   #5
all4funwfish
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have the canon powershot sd200 digital elph. Its a 3.2 megapixel, has full manual control if I so choose, and I can zoom in on pictures already taken. It also has macro mode for taking all the cool upclose stuff.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:26 AM   #6
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Definitely look for something with macro capability and manual settings. My next camera will probably be a Canon digital SLR. I'm saving my$$$.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote