How many planted tank addicts.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Washington

Old 04-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
Peaceofthetropic
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default How many planted tank addicts.

How many planted tank addicts are in Washington? I am located in Renton and work in Shoreline. I have a 55, 6 and a couple 2 gallon tanks. Just picked up some scarlet badis and clown killis last night.
Peaceofthetropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

I live in washington. However I live on the east side. Like 4 hours away from Renton. If you want to meet some nice people go to the GSAS meetings.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #3
PinoyBoy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Everett, WA here.

There's another one here that goes by the name: Seattle_Aquarist, who is in... Seattle. His/her plants are top notch.

The GSAS website: http://www.gsas.org/
Old 04-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #4
Peaceofthetropic
Algae Grower

Default I figured there had

I figured there had to be some hobbyists locally. Any of you sell/trade plants/fish/shrimp? I am planning on doing an iwagumi setup soon. I have the seiryu stone, just need to decide on a rimless tank.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:38 AM   #5
funkyfish88
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

Hi Peaceofthetropic!

Shoreline, Wa here. Just started a rimless 18 cube. Only plants so far until I get my pH up a little (currently at 5.6 due to Aquasoil Amazonia). Finally got the hair algae under control. Where did you get your Scarlet Badis? Looking to put some with shrimps - okay to both in your opinion.

Thanks!
funkyfish88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:04 AM   #6
Peaceofthetropic
Algae Grower

I work in Shoreline, off of 145th. Where did you get the rimless cube? I am not sure what size I want to do. I did a couple 2 gallon plastic tanks my kids did not want anymore and I am trying to get the algae under control right now. I am using DIY Co2 on one to see if it will help. I also picked up several shrimp to help out. I got the Badis at the Sierra Fish in downtown Renton. They were only 3.99 each, so I grabbed both. Unfortunately they are both males. But they are fun little fish to watch. I like the clown killis I got at the same time. The Badis do not seem to have eaten any of the shrimp I have in with them and there were a couple small ones. What kind of plants are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyfish88 View Post
Hi Peaceofthetropic!

Shoreline, Wa here. Just started a rimless 18 cube. Only plants so far until I get my pH up a little (currently at 5.6 due to Aquasoil Amazonia). Finally got the hair algae under control. Where did you get your Scarlet Badis? Looking to put some with shrimps - okay to both in your opinion.

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2011, 03:23 PM   #7
funkyfish88
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Post Rimless

got the rimless from Aquarium Plus down in the International District/Chinatown. Had to make a customized cabinet and found some lights that would not cost so much when replacing the bulbs. Jimmy just sold his store, but should still be carrying rimless tanks. I also purchased a CO2 setup from him (20lb tank - should last for years), but upgraded to a Azoo regulator (from Dr. Smith). Also, purchased a rhinox bubble counter (ebay Asia) & diffuser (ebay N.Y.) - (both came with a cheaper set, but liked the looks of these better). Right now in search of some better priced lily pipes.

Plants: HC, moss balls, Nesaea triflora, Heteranthera zosterifolia, Rotala macrandra (narrow leaf), and dwarf hairgrass. Tried Blyxa japonica, but it started to melt, so I throw in my 55g low tech tank and see what will happen.

Just added some corals in my canister. Looks like pH shot up to around 6.2, will do another WC and remove half the corals to see if I can get it to stabilize to 6.0 - 6.2.

I also had initial algae problem, but reduce light/CO2 time from 12 hrs to 9 hrs and added Excel right after WC (did around 50% for a few days). Looks like that did the trick. Have tank running for a little a month. This is the first planted hi-tech tank for me, so all a learning curve.

I will check with Liem down in the ID and see if he has any Badis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aquascaping2011-A12.jpg (134.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Aquascaping2011-A13.jpg (59.6 KB, 19 views)
funkyfish88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:18 PM   #8
Peaceofthetropic
Algae Grower

Default rimless

Sorry for the late response. Started a new position at work and have been busy.
Nice looking tank. I need to get down there and get a rimless. I heard Jimmy sold the store (he actually tried to sell it to me). Hopefully the new owner is as nice and helpful. Hope they don't change what they carry.

Yeah, I really like the Badis. They are fun to watch. Very curious and take their time when looking at what they want to eat.

I picked up a mixed bag of shrimps down at Sierra in Renton (traded for some Golden Wonder killis I had) The shrimp went right to work on the algae.

Quote:
got the rimless from Aquarium Plus down in the International District/Chinatown. Had to make a customized cabinet and found some lights that would not cost so much when replacing the bulbs. Jimmy just sold his store, but should still be carrying rimless tanks. I also purchased a CO2 setup from him (20lb tank - should last for years), but upgraded to a Azoo regulator (from Dr. Smith). Also, purchased a rhinox bubble counter (ebay Asia) & diffuser (ebay N.Y.) - (both came with a cheaper set, but liked the looks of these better). Right now in search of some better priced lily pipes.

Plants: HC, moss balls, Nesaea triflora, Heteranthera zosterifolia, Rotala macrandra (narrow leaf), and dwarf hairgrass. Tried Blyxa japonica, but it started to melt, so I throw in my 55g low tech tank and see what will happen.

Just added some corals in my canister. Looks like pH shot up to around 6.2, will do another WC and remove half the corals to see if I can get it to stabilize to 6.0 - 6.2.

I also had initial algae problem, but reduce light/CO2 time from 12 hrs to 9 hrs and added Excel right after WC (did around 50% for a few days). Looks like that did the trick. Have tank running for a little a month. This is the first planted hi-tech tank for me, so all a learning curve.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:03 AM   #9
Kibblemania1414
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Red face

Quote:

that is soooo beautiful...
Kibblemania1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:46 PM   #10
galabar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:

I really like the lights on that tank. If you can share, what are they and where did you get them?

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #11
lisylou
Algae Grower

I live in a small town north of Everett, And you can see what tanks i already have in my signature but im about to pick up another 10 gallon from a friend who doesnt want to set it up again
33 babies(1 platy. 32 swordtail)
14 gallon freshwater (Live breeders)
8 Platies, 6 Mollies, 5 Guppies, 3 swordtails, 1 endler/guppy cross
55 gallon tank
1 Maroon Clown fish, 1 Yellow tang, 1 Yellow Stripped Blennie, 1 Black Velvet damsel, 1 Tomato Clown fish, 1 regular "Nemo" Clown fish, 1 feeder snail
lisylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:42 AM   #12
Augustw
Algae Grower

Hey yall!!! i JUst started my first tank!
if any of you guys happen to be near monroe and are looking to get rid of some cherry shrimp on the cheap, hit me up :P
Augustw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:45 AM   #13
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

Seriously...if anybody is in east washington, hit me up. I have found TWO people on this forum that are on the east side. ONLY TWO!

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:14 AM   #14
Ewb46
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Plant Man View Post
Seriously...if anybody is in east washington, hit me up. I have found TWO people on this forum that are on the east side. ONLY TWO!
I'm in Spokane transplanted from Tacoma
Ewb46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:48 AM   #15
aquadoc
Algae Grower

Mount Vernon, wa here
aquadoc is offline   Reply With Quote