External Powerhead CO2 Reactor
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 04-03-2003, 06:57 PM   #1
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I've been thinking about building an external CO2 reactor just to get the equipment out of my tank and to increase efficiency. The problem is, I haven't seen many external reactors powered by powerheads.

Gravel cleaners are basically 3 parts, the wide tube, the thin tube, and the non-clear part connecting the two, you might call it an adapter. Well, I have an extra gravel cleaner that I could use this adapter from. I was thinking I would put bio-balls in the tube, tightly put these adapters (they are green for me) on both ends, and possibly seal them with silicon. Then I would drill a hole towards the middle-top of the clear tube and run the CO2 tube through it. I would silicone seal this. So this is the main reactor. Then, I would use the thin tubing to run it to the reactor (from the powerhead) and from the reactor (back into the tank). I would probably silicon seal the connectios just to make sure.

Do you think this would work? The powerhead is a Rio 600, which works fine now. Thanks for any replies!

-Tim
SNPiccolo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 07:08 PM   #2
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Sounds like a good setup. It would probably work fine just as you described, but I'd still put the co2 beneath the powerhead and let the impeller crush the bubbles before sending them to the diffusion chamber. Two benefits from doing this: 1) More surface area for absorption into the water column. and 2) You can count the bubbles as they exit the tube in the aquarium and enter the powerhead. - free bubble counter.

I'm actually thinking of taking my external reacor out of line with my Fluval canister and putting it on its own powerhead and doing just that.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:38 PM   #3
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hmmm, I didn't think about putting the CO2 under the powerhead, but that would mean one less hole in the tube so less of a chance for leaks! Also, the bubbles would diffuse faster.

The only possible problem is that since the tube from the powerhead has to go in an upside down "U" curve out of the tank and into the diffusion chamber, would the bubbles possibly stall at the top of this tube before entering the diffusion chamber? I was planning on having the gravel vac part as close to the top as possible, so if bubbles got out through the bottom they would still have to go down some tube to get to the top, so that would lessen the chance of that happening. When I set it up, I'll try it with the CO2 into the powerhead first, and if that doesn't work, I'll flow it directly into the diffusion part.

Also, I need something to hold the tube going back into the tank in place so it doesn't fall or something. I think I saw some replacement suctions cup heater holders at my LFS a while back, if they are the right width, then maybe those could hold it in place? I'll see if I can go to my LFS and get some parts tonite... if not it will be Saturday when I go to my piano class since the LFS is across the street from my music school 8) !

-Tim
Old 04-03-2003, 08:33 PM   #4
STAT 007
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to STAT 007

Just build or get the Plant Guild Products reactor.

37 gallon AGA Black Seal, Emperor 400, Ebo Jager 200 W, 100% Flourite Substrate, 2x55 Watt AH Supply PC Lighting (5300K & 6400K) @ ~3.4 WPG, High-Pressure CO2.
STAT 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 08:34 PM   #5
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

If you have a cannister filter you can use a in-line external CO2 reactor on the out flow line.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 09:33 PM   #6
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

As long as you use a fairly small diameter tube (around 1/2"), the velocity should be high enough to carry the air bubbles and keep them from catching at the top of the u-bend you'll have.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:59 PM   #7
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't have a canister filter, so that is why I am using my powerhead. I might put some of it together tonight to see how it works...

The diameter of the tube is larger than 1/2 an inch, but the inside diameter is a little less than 1/2, so it is the inside diameter that counts, right?

The Guild one looks cool, but what I am going for is an AB 1000 reactor kind of thing.... Fast efficient diffusion is hopefully what I'll get...

-Tim
Old 04-06-2003, 12:47 AM   #8
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This isn't working, I set it up like mentioned above. I ran the bubbles through the powerhead, they ran into the "diffusion chamber": a gravel vac filled with bio-balls, but then I got tons of tiny dust-like bubbles coming out the other end. Even if I am diffusing CO2, I don't like the bubbles, they look like dust and since there are so many, I don't believe this is much more efficient. I'm thinking if I got a smaller powerhead it might work, but if I can find something that will trap these bubbles, that would be even better. Any suggestions?

-Tim
Old 04-06-2003, 01:20 AM   #9
ridns
Planted Tank Obsessed

How about a piece of sponge just before the outlet?
Eheim pimp #128, 55gal 13x20x48, Eheim Pro 2227, CO2 injected, into the filter breather tube,4x 55w Pcs , 12 hr light cycle (sunrise/sunset simulated), Milwaukee SMS 122, faulty bubble counter replaced with M3 bubble counter..... moderately Planted, Plantex CSM+B and ferts

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research
ridns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 04:33 AM   #10
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

We'll see if a sponge in this reactor does any better than the sponge in the current reactor! Thanks!

-Tim
Old 04-06-2003, 05:28 AM   #11
STAT 007
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to STAT 007

The little bubbles are what you want!

Little bubbles=good
Big bubbles=bad

37 gallon AGA Black Seal, Emperor 400, Ebo Jager 200 W, 100% Flourite Substrate, 2x55 Watt AH Supply PC Lighting (5300K & 6400K) @ ~3.4 WPG, High-Pressure CO2.
STAT 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 08:54 PM   #12
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, I just think with the bio-balls that they broke up the bubbles into tiny pieces and not as many were actually getting diffused. But, I did try it with sponge and filter floss and no small bubbles! I had to silicon a leak though (just a minor drip every ten seconds), so it is getting set up tomorrow!

-Tim