Paintball Co2 Injection DIY Setup with Tons of Photos
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 09-11-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

PTrader: (135/100%)
Default Paintball Co2 Injection DIY Setup with Tons of Photos

Updated Re-write. 2/4/2011

I found a cheap way to use Paintball Co2 Tank for injecting Co2 into planted aquariums. Prices varies depending on different Brands of products that you purchase. I preferred to get parts brand new to avoid any problem down the line. This setup can cost from $30 dollars to $80 dollars + for a working unit. It all depends on what you want to do and add on to it. But it's easily obtainable with $30 dollars to rig up.

In order to have this setup rig up and working. You will need the following items.

- 3.5 oz to 24 oz Paintball Co2 Tank filled $25 and under.

- Paintball Co2 ASA On/Off Valve 2 Threads (Gauge, Needle Valve inputs) $10 - $60 depending on brand.

- Paintball Co2 Gauge - $5 - $10 depending on brand.

- Needle Valves (You have several options to choose from) $10 - $20
* Watts A-41 LF 1/8'' x 1/4'' Compression (Homedepot or Lowes)
* Watts A-40 LF 1/8'' x 1/4'' Compression (Homedepot or Lowes)
* Swagelok Needle Valve 1/8'' x 1/8'' Compression (Ebay)
* My Needle Valve1/8'' x 1/4'' (Ask me if interested) (PM Me)

- Co2 Tubing (Part Number SVEB10 sold at Homedepot 10 feet is $2.14)

- Teflon Tape (Homedepot or Lowes/Craft Stores .50 cent - $1.00)

- Check Valve (Aquarium store $1)

- Bubble Counter Optional (Online store prices varies)

- Drop Checker Optional (Online store prices varies)

- A way to diffuse Co2 into your tank whether through a ceramic glass diffuser, hang on filter, canister filter, chop stick, power head, reactor. Prices varies from Free to whatever

Your parts will be similar to the photos below.

It's basically pretty simple. A basic guide.

- Make sure Paintball Co2 is Filled
- Teflon Tape Gauge Thread and screw it into any side of the ASA On/Off Valve. Use a wrench to further tighten it.
- Prepare your Needle Valve's both side threads with Telfon Tape.
- Slide Co2 tubing through the Needle Valve's output Nut, then do the same to through the Compression Sleeve.
- Tighten Needle Valve's output Nut onto the Needle Valve. Use a wrench to further tighten it.
- Screw on Needle Valve into the ASA On/Off Valve. Use a wrench to further tighten it.
- Twist the Top Knob on the ASA On/Off Valve counter clockwise to open the Pin.
- Screw ASA On/Off Valve onto the Paintball Co2 Tank. Hand tighten only.
- Make sure your Needle Valve is Closed fully.
- Twist the Top Knob on the ASA On/Off Valve clockwise to close the Pin.
- If Gauge reads 800-850 PSI, Co2 Gas has entered the ASA On/Off Valve Chamber.
- SLIGHTLY open the Needle Valve "T" Arm.
- Dump the entire Paintball Co2 Tank with the ASA On/Off Valve into a 10gallon fish tank or 5 gallon bucket. Check for leaks. Any bubble forms will result in leakage. Trace your installation steps again.
- If no leak is present, hook the end of the Co2 Tubing to desire way to diffusing the Co2 gas and you're good to go!

There are option parts such as Bubble Counter and Check Valves to be hooked up along the Co2 Tubing line. That should be common sense.

Basic Step for Installing Co2 Tubing onto Needle Valve.

Overall Setup Installation once said and done.

Paintball Co2 Tank

Paintball Co2 On and Off Valve 2 threaded inputs

Paintball Co2 Gauge (Wrap thread with Teflon tape to prevent leaks)

Homedepot Needle Valve (Wrap therad with Teftlon tape to prevent leaks)

One the Needle Valve, one thread goes into the On and Off Valve, and the other one has a coupler that will crimp onto a Co2 tubing hose. Which will be the path of your Co2 line going straight to your tank. Make sure you have this Co2 tubing connected as well.

Once everything is thread tight, making sure the upper needle valve of the On and Off Valve is fully counter clockwise opened, attach it onto the Co2 tank of your choice. Closed the upper needle valve by turning it clockwise to release Co2 from the Paintball Tank. Make sure your Needle Valve is closed all the way. Your gauge should bounce straight up to 800PSI at most.

Upper Valve Closed. 0 PSI

Upper Valve Opened. 800 PSI

Test the On and Off Valve for leaks by aiming the Paintball tank with everything attached up side down into a bucket of water. If there's any bubbles coming from the threaded slots, recheck your teflon tape and tightness.

Once there's no leak, everything should be a straight forward from there. Attach the end of the Co2 tubing to a Diffuser and your good to go. Adjust bubbles from 2bps to 4bps.

A regular 24oz Paintball Co2 Tank at about 2bps will last a good 4-6 months. When refilling Co2 tank, just close your Needle Valve, Open up the upper valve on the On and Off Valve with will block off the Co2 Tank's outlet pressure. Then go ahead and twist off the On and Off Valve itself and just bring the Co2 Tank to your local Co2 Paintball store and have it refill. It only cost $4.00 to refill a 24oz Paintball tank.

Been using 3 of these units on 3 different tanks and have had no problems. You can also get away without using a Gauge, Save yourself the extra few bucks. Fully filled Co2 Tank is about 1.4 lbs. I used one without a Gauge and it works the same. Just keep the Hex bolt in the Gauge slot closed so that way a Gauge is not needed. All the parts can be bought locally at your local Paintball sport stores and Homedepot or Lowes.

Hope that helps!

Additional informations for easy lookup.

The O rings are easily replacecable. It's like .58 cents per 3-6 O rings. Part number at Lowes is BrassCraft # 0533. The size is 1/4"ID x 3/8"OD x 1/16" Wall Thickness.

At 1bps on a 24 oz PB tank. You can get 5-6 months.
At 2bps on a 24 oz PB tank. You can get 4-5 months.
At 3bps on a 24 oz PB tank. You can get 2-3 months.
At 4-5 bps on a 24 oz PB tank, You can get 1.5-2 months
At 6-8 bps on a 24 oz PB tank, You're looking at 1 month before refill.

With g33tar permissions, the Option #3 setup attached to a Super Diffuser/Atomic Diffuser in great working results!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KYQDDBjX5s
[/SIZE]

Last edited by Jaggedfury; 06-24-2011 at 04:13 AM..
Jaggedfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
ddtran46
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Great writeup!!
Old 09-12-2010, 02:43 AM   #3
Barristan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Just what I've been looking for!
Barristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:06 AM   #4
TeamTeal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

how long does it usually last and what size tank are you using it with?

TeamTeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:11 AM   #5
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

It last a good 5-6 months before refill. This is referring to 20z Paintball co2 tanks. I have a two 20gallon long tanks, and a 30gallon tank. All 3 have their own Paintball Co2 tank, along with it's own On and Off valve and each individual co2 diffuser. With expection of my 30gallon being run on a 24oz Paintball co2 tank.

So 3 in total. They last pretty long doesn't take up space and is fairly easy to rig up. Teflon tape is a must or else it will leak. Test the on and off valve once you have it all hooked up and tighten with a bucket of water before final use.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:03 AM   #6
mylittlefish
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggedfury View Post
It last a good 5-6 months before refill. This is referring to 20z Paintball co2 tanks. I have a two 20gallon long tanks, and a 30gallon tank. All 3 have their own Paintball Co2 tank, along with it's own On and Off valve and each individual co2 diffuser. With expection of my 30gallon being run on a 24oz Paintball co2 tank.

So 3 in total. They last pretty long doesn't take up space and is fairly easy to rig up. Teflon tape is a must or else it will leak. Test the on and off valve once you have it all hooked up and tighten with a bucket of water before final use.

little of top

Hi...... You are from Sacramento?
Is there ,still, a big "Aquatic Shop in Sacramento with the Floor to Ceiling and about 12 Foot Square Tank with Giant Clown Loaches?

This HUGE tank was to the left when coming in ,over a Koi filled pond .
mylittlefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:07 AM   #7
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittlefish View Post

little of top

Hi...... You are from Sacramento?
Is there ,still, a big "Aquatic Shop in Sacramento with the Floor to Ceiling and about 12 Foot Square Tank with Giant Clown Loaches?

Yes, I am from Sacramento. Are you talking about Capital Aquarium in downtown? I noticed seeing huge clown loaches there months ago. I rarely go there though. If it's not Capital Aquarium might of been Exotic Aquarium, AquaWorkz or JoJo's Aquarium. They're all in Sacramento and they're all still in business.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:47 AM   #8
TeamTeal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

do you leave the co2 on 24/7?
or do you turn it off everynight and back on the next day?

Old 09-12-2010, 05:10 AM   #9
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

I leave it on 24/7. Needle valve is adjusted to 2bps. Been running like this for almost close to a year, no problems with tank or algae. I'm actually a shrimp and aquatic person, maybe the algae does exist but doesn't grow fast enough to where I can notice it before my shrimps chow down on it. I keep my light on 8 hours on a timing. I really haven't seen any major problem with keeping it on 24/7. I still get tons of lust plant growth.

If I wanted to, I can always turn it off at night and turn it back on in the morning when my lights switches on. It's fairly easy to adjust, you'll be suprised.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:36 AM   #10
herns
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (231/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggedfury View Post
If I wanted to, I can always turn it off at night and turn it back on in the morning when my lights switches on.
Does anybody experience leakage on the ASA On/Off valve when it got turned On/Off everyday? Or would this be a problem later on?
herns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:26 PM   #11
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by herns View Post
Does anybody experience leakage on the ASA On/Off valve when it got turned On/Off everyday? Or would this be a problem later on?

I had this problem on Sat. One of the O ring on the on/off valve needle was deformed. My PSI was dropped from 800 PSI the night before to 300 PSI the next morning. I don't turn it on or off. However, I played with the setting a lot when I first got the system. I believe whenever you adjust the on/off valve, the O ring gets damaged or deformed due to CO2 gas expansion. I think it is best to leave it ON.
tetra73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #12
herns
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (231/100%)

[QUOTE=tetra73;1495041]I had this problem on Sat. One of the O ring on the on/off valve needle was deformed.QUOTE]

That's what I'm weary about when I thought of turning it On/Off. It's like a faucet that create water leaks overtime.
herns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:26 AM   #13
TeamTeal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i think i will look into something like this, the ada co2 setup i have is not very efficient in terms of cost

Old 09-12-2010, 01:06 PM   #14
hbosman
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Very cool write up. I would have definitely tried this a few years ago. I started with a RedSea Paintball unit at considerably higher cost. I still use Paintball tanks because of lack of space but, use them with Victor Dual Stage regs now. Since it's used with a 46 Gallon Bowfront and T5 lighting, I only get 5 weeks per 20 OZ tank. I just get 2 Paintball Tanks at a time.
hbosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:00 PM   #15
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

I believed I read somewhere a few months ago while pondering this idea to give it a try that you can also hook up a solenoid to it also, thus having it not on all the time. Just didnt' want to get into all that stuff. The setups I'm using has been working for almost a year, so if it isn't broken don't fix it.