Window screen light filter
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 08-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)
Default Window screen light filter

We have been recommending using ordinary window screen to reduce the light intensity when you can't raise the light fixture high enough, but I had no idea how much the reduction would be. So, I bought a roll of fiberglas, black window screen from Home Depot, less than $5 for a huge piece, and tested it with a PAR meter on two tanks with two different lights.

Here is what I bought:

I set the PAR probe on the bottom of the tank, in the middle, and took a reading. Then I put one layer of screen on top of the tank, and took another reading, followed by two layers and another reading. Finally, with only one layer I lifted the layer up to the bottom of the light fixture to see what effect that would have.

Tank----no screen----one screen----one screen at light----two screens
15H------31-------------19-----------------19-----------------11--------
10-------43--------------26-----------------26-----------------16--------

You can see that one layer of screen reduced the PAR reading by about 40% and two layers reduced it by about 64%. And, it made no difference whether the screen was at the face of the light fixture or on top of the tank.

A different brand, type, or opening size screen might give different results, but this was the cheapest one HD had, so it's the only one I tested.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

Another way to look at this is, if you are getting high light with your fixture, and can't remove a bulb and still run the fixture, and can't raise the fixture, or don't want to, putting one layer of this window screen on top of the tank or over the bottom of the light, will reduce your light to medium intensity. Two layers will reduce the light to low light.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Good info, but...

I'd suggest to always look into lower wattage bulbs or less bulbs first. To me, adding window screening or covering up bulbs or even raising up fixtures seems environmentally irresponsible & wasteful. Not to mention energy bills and added heat output.

Reducing the light period is another option for new tanks if you want higher light levels later on.

Best is to run your tank with the minimum amount of light necessary to get sufficient plant growth.

Just my opinion... I know others think differently.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:11 PM   #4
jjp2
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2

you are right, Wasserpest. But if you already have the light and bulbs and can't get lower wattage bulbs, Hoppy has a great easy solution.
jjp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:13 PM   #5
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

There are a few advantages to having the light hanging a foot or so above the tank. First, it lets you get your hands in the tank easily, so you tend to do more of the day to day maintenance that is so necessary to keep algae away from the tank. Second, the higher the light is above the top of the tank, the lower the intensity at the top of the tank. Otherwise, any tank with a light sitting on the top, has high light intensity at the top. Remember, the sun isn't right on top of our gardens, it is raised quite a bit, so the light intensity is the same from the soil up to the top of even Jack's famous beanstalk. That must be good design technique?

But, no question that it does waste electricity.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:36 AM   #6
volatile
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)

Thanks Hoppy. I appreciate you taking the time to perform these experiments and post about them. It will definitely help me out when I have a tank where I can suspend the lights.
volatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
barbarossa4122
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

I am heading to HD to get that screen. Thanks a lot for the info Hoppy.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:06 PM   #8
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

i have used this method in the past, did not like the lights becoming dim, its not good for those who prefer brighter light.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:09 PM   #9
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
i have used this method in the past, did not like the lights becoming dim, its not good for those who prefer brighter light.
The whole point is to dim the lights....
OverStocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:29 PM   #10
happi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverStocked View Post
The whole point is to dim the lights....
in that case wouldn't people just use PC lights which will produce brighter light while keeping it at low/medium light?

this is what i got from using T5HO: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/al...pot-algae.html

i know many people are going to argue about T5HO being better but i haven't found anything good about it beside reduce in monthly bill.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:57 PM   #11
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

I think we're missing the point.... This would be to reduce the intensity if lights you already have or if you had to light odd size tanks.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:51 PM   #12
happi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I think we're missing the point.... This would be to reduce the intensity if lights you already have or if you had to light odd size tanks.
i know the point, but IMO reducing the light intensity by using window screen also reduce the brightness, when you could still have the brighter light without using the window screen. am talking about using PC bulbs which are brighter but give you almost the same results when you reduce the t5 lights with window screen.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:55 PM   #13
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

Perhaps I am missing something, but how do you get "brighter" light will reducing par?

I think perhaps you are confusing color temp, which could be done with any light configuration. Or perhaps your experience with PC bulbs involved a whiter spectrum than the bulbs you've seen in t5ho.

I do not know of any way possible that light could actually be "brighter" while being less intense.

"brightness" is either a reflection of color temp(which can be changed with any type) or par. Either way, the connection to PC bulbs being "brighter" doesn't make any sense.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:15 AM   #14
happi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Perhaps I am missing something, but how do you get "brighter" light will reducing par?

I think perhaps you are confusing color temp, which could be done with any light configuration. Or perhaps your experience with PC bulbs involved a whiter spectrum than the bulbs you've seen in t5ho.

I do not know of any way possible that light could actually be "brighter" while being less intense.

"brightness" is either a reflection of color temp(which can be changed with any type) or par. Either way, the connection to PC bulbs being "brighter" doesn't make any sense.

all i could say is that i had 6 wpg of PC 6700K over my 20g in the past and there were no algae issue and tank looks 10x brighter than compare to my 50g tank which have 2x54w T5HO bulbs 6700K. no matter what i do in this tank, plants are always covered with black spot algae, i can take off the algae simply by rubbing it but i cannot do this to the whole entire tank. i never had this problem with the PC lights. all am saying is T5HO even at dim lights cause these problems for me, the whole purpose of reducing the light is to reduce the algae. isn't it? why make the lights look dim when you could have brighter lights while keeping the algae away with PC type bulbs.
its is also in Hoppy's light comparison chart, where PC is still considered low light while having very high wattage compare to T5.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:24 AM   #15
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

Without a doubt, you are seeing an optical illusion or perceived difference that is not reality.

The light comparison you mention is the point that PC lights are low efficiency, nothing to do with brightness. What it means is that T5HO has more output per wattage. And by more output, "brightness" would be par. It is not that it somehow is brighter but has less usable light.

To further understand, compare incandescent lights. 100 watts of incandescent is even less efficient than PC or T8.

The reason your PC lights had less algae is simple. Less efficient bulbs and reflectors.

too much light, too little co2, and too little ferts are the cause of algae, 99.5% of the time. Once algae is established ina particular time, the time it takes to eradicate it can be very long.